Helix Owners - What do you think of firmware 2.30 now?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Jarrett, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

Stock mic settings and such?

2. mikah912

mikah912 Member

I'm pretty sure I used a Royer 121 on one and a Heil PR30 on the other. I always do HiCut in the Cab block around 8-9k.

jsad and Jarrett like this.
  3. mjross

mjross Member

4. burningyen

burningyen Gold Supporting Member

Interesting, thanks.

5. maxnew40

maxnew40 Member

I had some fun messing around with the new amps, but my gigging presets did not change. I am still using the same 2 or 3 amps that have been in the Helix for a while.

VCuomo likes this.
  6. VCuomo

VCuomo Gold Supporting Member

Same here...

7. Jarick

Jarick Member

I haven't had as much time to play as I'd like.

Trainwreck has dynamics but I don't like the tonal character at all. All mids. Cartographer is interesting but at the end of the day I go back to Marshalls. Victoria is still too dark. I prefer the AC15 or Deluxe or Matchless. Plexi Trem is interesting but not a world away from the 100w version.

EP Booster is probably the most useful addition, a character boost. I've used it a fair amount. SP Comp was interesting but I just can't get along with compressors. Space Echo sounds really cool but I don't do a lot of ambient stuff so I still stick with the Adriatic most of the time. Fuzz sounds just as bad as the other fuzzes (sorry...they just don't sound good at all to me). I don't have any use for the chopper or doubler.

New editor isn't any better or worse than the old one. It drops connection if I'm not actively using it for 15 minutes and I have to quit and restart. Impulse management still sucks. The new update thing worked great though.

So all in all, it's been really underwhelming. Helix is still a great tool, but I'm still waiting for a Friedman, new reverbs, and better impulse management.

8. Jarick

Jarick Member

It's not night and day but I like the Friedman there. The 2204 Mod sounds too cocked wah to me (I prefer the 2204) and the 5153 sounds good but a bit bright.

mikah912 likes this.
  9. rsm

rsm Member

not in any hurry; I haven't updated mine yet.

10. mikah912

mikah912 Member

I think what I like about the 2204 Mod is that it sounds like a combo of the Friedman and EVH to me. It has the higher end the Friedman has rolled off, but also the mid-heavy chunk that's missing a but from the EVH to my ears.

11. MatchFive

MatchFive Silver Supporting Member

The Bogner 4x12 and the Matchless 2x12

12. BjarneDa

BjarneDa Member

What is fixed in the AC30?
    I have A/B it with both stock cab and runned with the same IR nothing was changed sonically they sounded identical..

I am really sorry for the crappy recording and crappy playing :) with my 7 stringed ibanez not really the choice of weapon for that amp but atleast you would hear that nothing has changed

https://app.box.com/s/1db4rwc1l2q1z4y8rhcxhs2zrl75d7zs

https://app.box.com/s/w5jwkgsxqtk7a3pn5yrb1i2fxbo2gdum

https://app.box.com/s/46pvkosziv716dwzzlo3lod2qjix3s38

https://app.box.com/s/hljjk7h9ztcvqpt1hwlcruskvn5pbj24

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  13. BjarneDa

BjarneDa Member

I like the new gtr amps the booster,the comp,the space echo havent tested the doubler, stereo width, or the fuzz yet..

And the editor is really good and the backup is now almost foolproof even if it did overwrite the new factory presets when i restored a backup

14. _pete_

_pete_ Supporting Member

2.30 was great. Much better than I expected.
    My favorites:
    The Kinky Boost. The simplest addition but it just makes everything sound 'better'.
    The new editor. Mainly the backup and restore features. This is how it should have been from the start.
    The Space Echo. Super versatile and sounds exceptional.
    The Trainwreck and the Cartographer. I haven't spent a lot of time with either yet but what little I did, I like. My go to amps are still the Plexi Bright, the 2204 mod, and the Litigator. I'd be happy with just those three. (Don't get any ideas there Line 6)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    ryansalmond and MIJLOVER like this.
  15. -Empire

-Empire Supporting Member

The squirrels issue is completely gone now

16. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Supporting Member

I'm going to need @mbenigni to confirm before I believe anything.

:anon

3dognate, mbenigni and Watt McCo like this.
  17. Pat6969

Pat6969 Member

I sold my AxeFXII XL early last year (2016) because I heard the "squirrels" on some models. They obviously fixed the problem somewhere along the line because they are gone. I'm sure L6 figured out how to do the same. Truthfully, that's the only reason I sold my Helix, twice. Killer sounds in it, but I'm anal about the trailing bits!

JiveTurkey likes this.
  18. BoogieZilla

BoogieZilla Member

What I ended up doing was putting the Mesa 5 band EQ after the Trainwreck, and boosting the lows and 6K a bit. I ended up with something near Dan Huff's Giant tone, only thru a V30. Give it a try, it's really fun :)

MIJLOVER likes this.
  19. arislaf

arislaf Member

Still same opinion as day one. Kinky booster is a win, chopper is a thing i missed, lectro queen is ok. Rest are marshall a,b,c,d etc...