Helix Owners - What do you think of firmware 2.30 now?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Jarrett, Dec 7, 2017.

1. MIJLOVER

MIJLOVER Member

Funny how one man's trash is another man's treasure. I love the Trainwreck. This is one of the best models that has made it into Helix so far, ranking right along with the Matchless (for something different, but equally awesome) I jammed on the Trainwreck almost exclusively with some friends shortly after it was out. It sat in the mix beautifully. If I had to only use that model for a year, I could live with it (though it would be a waste with all the other great models Helix has). Oh, and the update process is so easy that I'll be much more keen on trying different IRs, Knowing I can back them right up.

Sorry you didn't find this update good enough, maybe next one will float your boat. I think after the next update with all those HX reverbs, you'll probably be happy again :)

jsad and LeicaBossNJ like this.
  2. patriciogac

patriciogac Member

Somehow this update make MY squirrels/bits go away.... very happy. I want a better way to audition IR in Helix and some old tweed Fender models now.... thank you!

ryansalmond and MIJLOVER like this.
  3. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

I was hoping they fixed that lose connection bug. Happens all the time and there doesn’t seem to be a good fix besides unplug and or restart. Crap drivers I’m guessing.

4. DunedinDragon

DunedinDragon Member

Having been through several FW upgrades starting way back with version 1.12 I'm absolutely thrilled with this release. The upgrade process has finally been fixed to make it much more seamless and the whole system seems to be much more stable and responsive. I've already incorporated a couple of the new models Brit Trem Brt and Trainwreck and they're both working out great and the Cosmos Echo is quickly becoming a goto echo for me for certain types of sounds. I haven't really had the time to dig into the Cartographer but from what I've seen it should be a very versatile addition. Although I've never used the Edit program for much other than export and import, I can appreciate the Backup/Restore feature especially with adding the capability to backup IR's and global settings along with everything else...removing yet another headache in upgrading. Admittedly I would like to see more work done on better integration and management of IRs, but hopefully with the tightening up of some of the internal architecture that will be coming in the not to distant future.

It's a shame that a lot of Helix users haven't gone through the growth process many of us have gone through on the Helix starting way back in the beginning so they could really appreciate how far this has come. It gives me that much more hope about where it will be going in the future.

5. Blix

Blix Member

Super happy here, LOVE the Trainwreck to bits.

I have no issues with the editor losing connection, I've had it up for several days now.

jsad and MIJLOVER like this.
  6. green72

green72 Member

The Trainwreck is overtaking the Jump Plexi as my favorite model.

I have some Celestion Alnico Cream IR's that pair perfectly with it.

jsad and MIJLOVER like this.
  7. benifin

benifin Supporting Member

FWIW .... in short .... and I stick to mainly the AC's, Matchless, Plexi Bright and now Trainwreck ..... I also did some quick amp tracking with 2.21 immediatly before i went to 2.30 as I didnt want to "placebo" myself ..... from the first strum

-> all the above amps sounded .... I hate to use this word ..... "better"

-> to the extent there were some sq#####els still living inside - and I would say the AC's did have some there, they are gone - even the DC30 and Plexi are "better"

-> the T/Wreck is imo, actually better than the MBritt TW2 and TW3 for the Kemper ..... and I cant give *any* amp model a bigger plug than that ..... assuming of course you like "mid-heavy" amps :)

My summary is simply this ...... and this is not a criticism one way or the other ..... if you like Fractal tones but [like me] wish they had more bite / were more "present" / more "ampy-gritty" ..... Helix with 2.30 is your answer.

Ben

egregion, ryansalmond, jsad and 3 others like this.
  8. Watt McCo

Watt McCo Member

All of this begs the question -- why don't they give you a heads up that certain amp models have been changed if they've been changed? If for no other reason than to let folks know that maybe they oughta go check their presets that include any of those revised amp models to make sure they don't need tweaking to adjust to the changes in the amp model?

mbenigni likes this.
  9. MatchFive

MatchFive Silver Supporting Member

I think the 2.30 it pretty awesome, especially with the addition of the new amps..

MIJLOVER and Guitarzman like this.
  10. hobbes1

hobbes1 Member

I've only had a little time to play 2.3 so far. To me, all my patches seemed louder than the last firmware. Not sur what's up with that.

The Victoria amp is very dark but can be brought to life with Ir and EQ adjustments.

I wish there was a way to flush all the IRs not in a preset, without having to try to figure it which ones are being used or not. Oh well....gotta dream BIGly.

:)

11. Guitarzman

Guitarzman Member

By far 2.30 is my favorite update... Great amps / Trainwreck Express, Cartographer, Victoria Electro King
    Great effects / Kinky Comp, Kinky Boost, Cosmos Echo
    Helix Edit / Full Backup and Restore
    And of coarse / many other bug fixes optimizations and general stability improvements

Although snapshots on the 2.00 update is a close second for me!

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...ware-release-for.851478/page-17#post-22252572

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  12. BjarneDa

BjarneDa Member

The squirrell issue only happend on edge of breakup tones and you never heard it in a mix with other instruments and not if you played fast stuff either..
    Sonically it is the same as before..

mbenigni and LeicaBossNJ like this.
  13. Mooselake

Mooselake Member

I haven't spent a whole lot of time with the new stuff--I still spend most all of my guitar time in a desperate (and perhaps vain) attempt to learn to play it well, which in my personal hierarchy trumps hitting every button and turning every knob on the device. I have played around with the doubler a little, which I enjoy. Haven't tried the new amps--my range of tonal needs is not great and I still rely on the Litigator. I don't know that I've ever detected the squirrels so I have no opinion on their presence in the new firmware. Maybe if I get some time off work around Christmas I'll have more opportunity to play with the new stuff (along with the 80% of the stuff there prior to 2.3.0 I haven't test driven).

So my grade would have to be "incomplete". That is not a reflection of shortfalls in the firmware features, but rather a reflection of my failure to spend much time under the hood so far.

14. Graham G

Graham G Member

What's the Squrrels?(with reference to the Helix:))

15. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

Yeah, the Trainwreck has sort of blown me away. I didn't think the amps would/could get better in the Helix, but I feel like this model in particular is a noticeable step up in quality from previous models. Not sure if that is just due to the quality of the source material or if they have improved the process of creating models at this point.

ryansalmond, MIJLOVER and Blix like this.
  16. bdrepko

bdrepko Member

I just move the IRs that I use to the first few slots. I only use a few of them. Makes it easier for me anyway.

17. mbenigni

mbenigni Supporting Member

I guess I'm the odd man out, but I don't believe there's any difference in the "legacy" amps. I've got a 2.21 Helix running as my interface to Native 1.10. So a simple bypass provides an easy old vs. new A/B comparison, and when I compare e.g. AC15, Fawn 30, etc. they sound identical in this regard. It's entirely possible that folks are hearing some kind of improvement that I can't perceive through my own modest headphones/ears, but "squirrelly bits" as I understand the term are still present and accounted for. (I've said from the word go that I think a lot of people have been using this same basically meaningless term to mean a variety of unrelated things.) I'd like to hear some kind of specifics as to how anyone above has drawn their conclusions. It would have been trivial for anyone who owns both hardware and Native to conduct the same test. (And the only person I recall posting before/after recordings came to the same conclusions I did.)

But no matter. If you're happy with your Helix you're winning, and if you're even happier with 2.3 then you're... winninger? :cool: Being the token malcontent has become too much work for me. With the few spare moments I get with my guitar and Helix, I've got to spend a higher percentage focused on playing. :oops: There's plenty on tap to get the job done. New amps are fab and plenty of the old ones are as well.

18. Brandon7s

Brandon7s Silver Supporting Member

Pretty underwhelming update. Added a few amp models that all sound fairly similar to already existing amp models. Didn't touch reverbs at all and that's one of the Helix's glaring weaknesses. Added a new delay though, which was one area that the Helix did not need improvement. same with the Kinky Boost. Why add a new drive when drives are already one of it's strengths? No improvements to existing amps from what I've tested, though there are several folks who say that they that they hear less squirrels I think this is more likely to be a strong case of confirmation bias than anything else. I'd be very surprised if any changes were made to the existing amps in 2.30; and if there were some changes then I'd be curious to know what they are. Nothing I can detect with my ears, at least.

The new HX Edit is functionally the same thing as the old editor. I can't figure out why a new editor was needed. Like the above poster mentioned, Impulse Response files are managed just as poorly in the new editor as they were in the original one; fixing that mess would be a worthy reason for creating a new editor, but alas.. it was not to be.

So yeah, the update is superficial at best.

Exactly my experience as well. I definitely think this is a case of confirmation bias. I would like to hear from a Line 6 staff member about whether or not the pre-2.30 amps had been touched up on in a way that affects them audibly.

egregion and mbenigni like this.
  19. mbenigni

It's a good question, but to be fair Line 6 has already answered. They basically said, "We don't want to get bogged down in all of the obsessive gnashing of teeth as to whether old is better than new and whether our latest firmware is solely responsible for the demise of your otherwise surely soon-to-be multi-platinum careers." And I can hardly blame them. :D

I'll also restate my own personal opinion - that the "squirrelly bits" are sufficiently "other" from the amp signal proper (indeed that's the essence of my complaint) that you could completely erase them without having any ill effect on amp tones/ presets.

Steve Dallas and Watt McCo like this.
  20. mbenigni

You get a "Like" for agreeing with me ;) though I suspect I'm a little more grateful for the update than you are. I have a confirmation bias of my own here, though: I spend the majority of my playing time at a desk tweaking Native, and its UI is significantly improved (albeit with simple changes, e.g. the ability to resize until all parameters are accessible.)

SamPaoli and MIJLOVER like this.