Helix & Power Station ? Helix & Matrix? or Helix and ... ?

tvegas99

Gold Supporting Member
Trying a Helix after been a very-happy-ecstatic Kemper owner for the past year :eek: yep the GAS got ahold of me, I see the Helix as being possibly a little more flexible for me and one less thing to carry than the Kemper setup

I will be running the Helix through a poweramp/guitar cab setup and sending a virtual cab to FOH ... my first choice would be the Fryette Power Station, it looks like the PS might even fit in the Helix backpack??
This would be incredible... anybody doing it??

My second choice would be a Matrix poweramp since the Fryette's are a little pricey right now, I've owned and been happy with a GT800fx
Do any of you have experience with either of these Poweramps AND the Helix??

Lastly I'll be using Ownhammer IR's for sending to FOH

Let me know what you are using and how you are enjoying this style of setup, I am NOT interested in hearing any FRFR comparisons

I have not seen a thread dedicated to the Helix and Poweramp setups, forgive me if I've missed it and direct me to it please

Last edited:

MixMinisterMike

Silver Supporting Member
I'm running a Helix through a gt1000 2u into either my guitar (Mesa 212 vertical) or bass cabs (810heritage). Really enjoying it.

I have a gt1000 1u for sale if you are interested.

esizer

I'm still waiting on my Helix but I plan on running it exactly like you plan to. All Helix sent FOH and then Helix/Power Amp/Cab for stage.
I'm really interested to see what people are finding. The Power Station would be my first choice as well but I am taking a chance on the ISP Stealth into an EVH 2x12.

retroLS1

I run mine through a Crown power amp but would love to get my hands on a Power Station to see how it compares.

tvegas99

Gold Supporting Member
I'm still waiting on my Helix but I plan on running it exactly like you plan to. All Helix sent FOH and then Helix/Power Amp/Cab for stage.
I'm really interested to see what people are finding. The Power Station would be my first choice as well but I am taking a chance on the ISP Stealth into an EVH 2x12.
esizer- I'd love to hear your thoughts with the ISP Stealth, I just don't think it's enough power for my needs, will you be using it in a live band context??

esizer

esizer- I'd love to hear your thoughts with the ISP Stealth, I just don't think it's enough power for my needs, will you be using it in a live band context??
Yes, it will be used for live applications. I just got my shipping notification from Sweetwater on the Helix...so I should know by next week whether or not it will fit the bill.

randombastage

Silver Supporting Member
I've been using Helix through a PowerStation into a 2x12 a lot lately. It sounds great.

I'm experimenting with using "Preamp" models vs. "Amp" models and finding sometimes the power amp modeling in the 'Amp models' is helpful.
For example, the Matchless model has great power amp modeling that is needed to sound right (unless you want to really play loud via pushing the 2 6L6's in the PowerStation and even then I doubt it would have the right character) and the Dr Z Route 66 is very sterile without it's modeled power amp section. For those models I use the modeled power amp stage.

My favorite Plexy preset however (all the presets were originally created for Atomic CLR's and copied and tweaked for 'real amp' duty) didn't really change much when I copied it over to the 'real amp' set list where I drop the 'Amp' model and use the'Pre Amp' model for PowerStation/2x12 use. It didn't call for the power amp section I think because I tend to create a traditional Plexy sound that has little distortion to it and then use pedals to push it into crunchier territory.

By the way, if the PowerStation does fit in the backpack plan to hit the gym regularly because it is heavy, add the Helix to the pack and you are creating a very cumbersome high riding center of gravity

Last edited:

tvegas99

Gold Supporting Member
thanks randombastage very helpful, I've read the manual once but I still am waiting on my Helix, I can imagine the preamp vs. amp differences but I have not felt or heard them

Last edited:

gumtown

Helix and Chips with tomato sauce !!
or for those in the U.S.
Helix and Fries with ketchup !!

Trending Topics