Helix & Powercab Plus for a blues jam??

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by jmp, Jun 10, 2019.

1. melodiusthunk

melodiusthunk Bronzd & Supported Member Silver Supporting Member

Hmmm... looks like you might be a little lite in the vintage fuzz end of things?

2. R3deemed

R3deemed Member

I guess the questions are what are the expectations for folks showing up at the jam and is there space available to bring your own stuff?

If no one cares what you bring and there's space, use the helix and PC+. Why have a second rig for an occasional blues jam?

jmp likes this.
  3. drew365

drew365 Supporting Member

Does not compute!;)

R3deemed likes this.
  4. Slashaholic Anonymous

Slashaholic Anonymous Supporting Member

Helix + PC, while perhaps unconventional, is a perfectly useable blues jam rig. We aren’t talking about a Marshall 100 watt full stack here. Is a 1x12 with pedals overkill? No, it’s STANDARD for a blues jam, and that’s all a Helix + PC (or any frfr) is.

Just because 90% of the other guys are going to be playing out of boxy Blues Jrs (I owned one for years) doesn’t mean OP should have to buy a tube combo.

That said, I’ll always keep my Katana 100 combo + footswitch around for exactly this type of situation. Loud, portable, sounds good.

Guitarwiz007 and Guitardave like this.
  5. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

So if you rocked up to said blues/rock jam and guys had HRDs and BJrs and AC15s and DSL40Cs, how would the Helix and PC actually compare?

I don’t care about the flexibility aspect as I have an LT already and know it well. Just how together they stack up with brutal honesty.

The above amps will all sound pretty solid turned up loud with boosts and spring reverb. I do wonder how the digital rig would really sound in their zone.

I have read about the Helix + PC rig being...errr...light in the bass dept which wouldn’t be great.

If it really was a rig that basically stood toe to toe with the above amps I’d 100% be very curious. It’s not an easy rig to test prior to purchase especially with the learning curve.

6. R3deemed

R3deemed Member

He already has the Helix, so he's almost there.

jmp likes this.
  7. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

Yes I have an LT but the PC seems to stump many new owners for some reason.

8. USMarine75

USMarine75 Member

Good demo/discussion of different FRFR cabs plus a regular guitar cab.

9. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

I don’t personally want anything to do with FRFR. I’d be using it like a powered cab.

10. MIJLOVER

MIJLOVER Member

Tested that combination in a group where the others used a Two Rock with 2X12, a Twin and a solid state amp.
    While the PC+ sound differently than the open back cabs, it absolutely held it's own. The other amps were very cool, but I was kinda shocked to hear how good Helix and Powercab worked. Stayed on the built in speakers to keep it simple.
    Regarding the amount of bass, I used the low cut on the PC itself and sometimes even cut more. Being a closed back design, it has ample low end content, imo.

It does take a little time and effort to get the correct signal to the PC, but it's worth it and a cool setup. Still lighter than my old pedal board and amp combo, and less cables that act up ;)

jmp, Guitardave and Axe-Man like this.
  11. JCW308

JCW308 Supporting Member

Why go through all that trouble? I just bring my Katana 100. Sounds great and is light as a feather. Keeps up with the big boys and drums too.

Guitarwiz007 likes this.
  12. MIJLOVER

MIJLOVER Member

Sometimes things is too much about convenience. I say bring a Bassman 4x10 and a JTM combo and grow some muscle!

The katana is fine for stuff like that, but personally I'd enjoy the Helix he already has. Just amplify that thing with something! It's gotta be fun as well guys! :)

DaveDaveDave, jmp and JCW308 like this.
  13. JCW308

JCW308 Supporting Member

Can't go wrong either way.

jmp and MIJLOVER like this.
  14. jmp

jmp Supporting Member

I suppose I could order the PC+, try it at home for a week or so, and if I'm not convinced it's the right tool for the job return it in exchange for a Blues Deluxe RI or Blues Jr. IV Tweed. They all cost relatively the same, save $150 less for the BJr.

Guitarzman likes this.
  15. Guitarzman

Guitarzman Member

I play through the Powercab + for home use and love it... Has awesome cleans and crunch/drive tones and would be great for blues...You can choose from multiple amps and effects in the Helix .... :cool: :) And with update 2.80 coming soon Helix can also control and support parameters and modeling speakers on the PC + when connected via line 6 link...

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    MIJLOVER likes this.
  16. stevenymets

stevenymets Member

Riding on a unicorn through a gumdrop rainbow
    THIS! @Aquinas nailed it. The beautiful thing about the Helix is that it can be as complex or as simple as you want it to be. Set up that “Blues Jam” patch in stomp mode with amp of choice, and any other blocks you want, but only assign foot switches to the few effects you want people to control. Great idea to also rename those effects with their “real” names, the effects they are based off of. If people want to make eq changes as they would on a normal amp, the PC/+ has eq on it. Sure, users might not have all the controls of a standard amp accessible to them but close enough (this is assuming they wouldn’t be tweaking directly on the helix to keep it simple for new users.)

Agreed, unless @jmp has gas for a new amp. Guitar, cable, Helix - in stomp mode (instead of traditional pedal board), cable and FRFR of choice (instead of traditional amp), pretty much as simple as you can get. And if you want a more cost saving solution look at the Tech 21 PE2. I believe that also has eq on it, again, keeping in mind “guest” users who may want some tone sculpting but won’t have the know how on how to tweak the actual amp block on the Helix.

R3deemed and Aquinas like this.
  17. Guitardave

Guitardave Supporting Member

Powercabs are great - I still have a pair of them.

Every jam has it's own etiquette. Around here nobody is bringing a rig that requires setup time, stage space, and can't be easily operated by anyone else.

drew365 likes this.
  18. ljholland

ljholland Silver Supporting Member

I kinda agree with the overkill opinions. I’ve actually gone to our cities monthly jam with a Helix and a DXR10. It worked well but seemed like too much and it took a while to dial it in which wasn’t good etiquette at our jams. For that situation, having a good clean rhythm and a lead tone are all that’s needed with no effects.

On the other hand, I have been using my powered Kemper on top of a 1x12 cab and plugging right in using a single plexi profile; using my guitar’s volume control to move between rhythm and lead. It’s worked well with zero dialing in. However, I got a ton of “what the heck is that?” questions afterward.

drew365 and R3deemed like this.
  19. Dave Merrill

Dave Merrill Supporting Member

Are you saying your Kemper rigs are more dialed in than your Helix ones? Or maybe that you're more comfortable with a guitar cab than an FRFR? Other than that, I don't see why those units would be so different in that situation.

stevenymets, R3deemed and MIJLOVER like this.
  20. sliberty

sliberty Member

I go to a blues jam every Wed. In the past, I had a 15 watt Princeton Amp and a pedalboard that included a compressor, 1 or 2 drive pedals, a delay and a reverb. This setup was great, although they always told me I was too loud. I also owned a larger pedalboard for my band, and a few other amps.

I have since transitioned to one pedalboard containing 3 drive pedals and an HX Stomp. The Stomp provides compression, modulation (needed for my band situations, not the blues jam), delay and reverb. It also has Amp and Cab simulation, but for the blues jam, I have that block turned off. I am playing through a Vox MV50 Clean into a 1x12 cabinet. This sounds every bit as good in that setting to my previous setup.

In my near future, I plan to get a Headrush FRFR-108. With that setup, I will turn the Amp and Cab sims back on.

The benefit to me by making this transition is that I now have just the one pedalboard, and it is much smaller than my full band pedalboard was. Also, my tone is much more predictable now as it is all coming from my pedalboard. The amp is either a clean platform (MV50) or (coming soon) the FRFR. And if I find myself using someone else's amp, I should be able to achieve pretty much the same sounds without much effort.

So, is your Helix + PC overkill? In my opinion, only from a size/weight perspective. The functionality of the Helix is never wasted unless you don't use it :) But it is a large form factor device. So consider that.

jmp and R3deemed like this.