• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Helix setup for amp and PA simultaneously

rob2966

Hi all, did a bit of searching and didn't quite find what I was looking for (maybe used wrong terminology). I am trying to figure out the best way to set up my patches to support amp, PA, or both at the same time.

I currently have the HX Stomp, and will soon be practicing in a jam space that supplies decent clean amp backline. For practices I would prefer to keep the PA solely for vocals, the other guitar player also just uses his amp. For live I will want to run the full modelled output to FOH and possibly use an amp on stage as well if the monitoring isn't super solid.

I am assuming I should be able to tap off an output after the FX but before the amp/cab/mic stuff to send to the amp. Would this use the SEND output, or one of the main outputs (worth noting I do not run a stereo rig). This would need to be instrument level, where do I set that (per patch or global). Then of course, the main output would be the entire chain including the amp/cab/mic stuff, and would be driven out at line level (or, does it make more sense for this to also be instrument level? I would be using a basic external DI to get to the PA).

Thinking others must run something like this and wondering what has worked for folks.

I guess another option is to just buy a Line 6 Powercab and take it to all practices and gigs.

Thanks
Rob

sleewell2

split the signal at the end, add an cab sim or ir, have that path only go the XLR out to the PA. that way the 1/4 outputs going to your amp will not have the cab sim or IR.

Alex Kenivel

Place the cab block or IR at the end of the chain in parallel and hard pan the paths at the merge mixer. Use the left and right outs accordingly

cheezit

This is what I've been wrestling with as well, and posted a thread with a diagram of my setup. So:
- those "Amp+Cab" blocks won't work. You need separate amp and cab blocks.
- as others have said, put the send after the amp but before the cab.
- if you want stereo, it gets more complicated, because if you have any reverbs or delays that might normally come after the cab, you now need to put them before the cab. But if you use a mono cab it will eliminate the stereo effect. So you have to use a dual cab block; I normally set them to both be the same cab, but you can be creative there.
- I put an EQ block on the output that goes to the amp, so i can make additional tweaks to get the amp tones to be more similar to what the FOH gets. It will not be exactly the same sound, but it can sound very good and give the same basic vibe.

The above allows both the FOH and the amp to sound right. If you only wanted one or the other, it's easier - just use a separate amp and cab block, and then bypass the cab when you go to the amp.

MBT74

split the signal at the end, add an cab sim or ir, have that path only go the XLR out to the PA. that way the 1/4 outputs going to your amp will not have the cab sim or IR.
This is how I did it when I had the Helix. No need to waste a send block. Split the path towards the end and put your cab and IR on one path. Set the output for that path to the XLR outs. Set the other path to use the 1/4 jacks. Works perfectly.

hugbot

It depends what's more precious to you, using up a path to do it or using up a send.

On the larger units sends are less precious than paths since you've got 4 of them. Path B I need to hold all my other blocks in the patch.

Madmax25

This is how I did it when I had the Helix. No need to waste a send block. Split the path towards the end and put your cab and IR on one path. Set the output for that path to the XLR outs. Set the other path to use the 1/4 jacks. Works perfectly.
I know it says 'Helix' in the title, but the OP wrote Stomp in the text so I guess he doesn't have the extra XLR outs of the big Helix?

In the case of the HX Stomp I'd go with @rd2rk's suggestion.

brew58ski

Mine is simple but the amp part is just for monitoring so the sound may not be perfect. The output is set to multiple. The XLR's go to FOH and the 1/4" go to the amp. I then set the main Volume knob on the Helix so it only controls the 1/4" outs so I can adjust the amp's volume. Very simple and requires no extra blocks. When you do that the Helix acts as if the XLR's have the main Volume knob turned up all of the way which is unity.

Baba

Silver Supporting Member
I've been trying to figure out how to do something like this, this week actually, but I haven't figured it out yet.

4CM with my amp, using only one set of pre-amp effects, (poly capo, compressor, wah, dirt box), but split off and then to my normal modeling chain out to XLR, and separate path for STEREO IEMs processing (split from the modeling path) that goes out to the L/R outputs.

I've been moving blocks around, but the I haven't been able to find the right combo, in the right places, without using up all the DSP, to do it.

rob2966

Sounds like there are a few options (and yes, mine is the HX Stomp). Probably time to experiment a little.

rd2rk

Silver Supporting Member
Doing it with a SEND wastes a SEND Block. Doing it with a SPLIT wastes the one and only SPLIT that you get on that Path.
What's more important to YOU?

MBT74

Doing it with a SEND wastes a SEND Block. Doing it with a SPLIT wastes the one and only SPLIT that you get on that Path.
What's more important to YOU?
What’s with the capitals? Someone already pointed out that my approach isn’t relevant because they’re using a Stomp rather than a full sized Helix and I acknowledged it via a like.

rd2rk

Silver Supporting Member
What’s with the capitals? Someone already pointed out that my approach isn’t relevant because they’re using a Stomp rather than a full sized Helix and I acknowledged it via a like.
Sometimes caps are just caps. :)

Trending Topics

Top Bottom