Helix Stomp as a full rig?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by jjaaam, Aug 10, 2019.

1. smj

smj Member

Good to know. So they could “unlock” the Hx Stomp to make it more powerful? If it was an option that had to be purchased... I’d be ok with that.

Sean Meredith-Jones
    www.seanmeredithjones.com

2. mikah912

mikah912 Member

I'm not saying I never use an additional EQ block or that using one is heresy. You made it sound like it was required in every patch all of the time, which seems excessive to me. But that's your taste, not mine. Ain't nan wrong with that.

But my personal "ideal tone" is only really "ideal" to the use case and monitoring application. Sometimes "boominess" and "shrilless" that I perceive in isolation is absolutely crucial for cutting through a band mix live. It always differs, but when playing in the studio or playing out....usually what's outside of my Helix (or whatever unit I have at the time) provides a greater influence over the end product than anything else I did at home.

Anyway...just different workflows we employ. Sorry yours' chafes at the 6-block limit all of the time. Mine does too, occasionally.

3. Digital Igloo

Digital Igloo Member

There's no unused DSP power in HX Stomp to be "unlocked." It has a single 450MHz ADSP-21469 SHARC. Helix Floor, Rack, and LT simply have two of 'em—one per path.

CjRuckus and kdm1218 like this.
  4. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

even without the EQ, that's still 3 blocks remaining, as the compressor to me is an absolute must in every preset, without a doubt.

5. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

But doesn't the LT/Floor/etc have more than 6 blocks per path? I show 8 in Native in the Floor/LT emulation mode. Even that would be super, on the HX.

Elric likes this.
  6. mikah912

mikah912 Member

Why?

7. Watt McCo

Watt McCo Member

Any particular reason you don't just bake your desired hi/low cut into the IR?

8. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

Because it sounds better that way.

That doesn't account for effects following the IR block.

dmock66 likes this.
  9. mikah912

mikah912 Member

Not trying to be daft, but can you be more specific?

10. kdm1218

kdm1218 Supporting Member

I think this is a good decision for what you describe wanting to happen sound wise. And way to be anti-TGP and not just buy something that may or may not be what you actually would use ;)

I guess I don’t understand what “delay” you’re talking about. The only delay I’ve ever created with mine is to switch from one preset to another completely different one, and that has nothing to do with block or DSP limits. If you’re needing to switch several things in/out at a time, this is where snapshots are useful because an analog board would require some fancy and well planned switcher system to do anything like that. And certainly HX has a leg up on analog pedals and amps being able to change any parameter programmed to a snapshot instead of turning knobs.

I have read that 6 blocks is in part a UI decision- it fits on the display. When easy UI is a selling point, I wouldn’t hold your breath on them changing it and it getting more complex as a result.

11. Shades of Blue

Shades of Blue Supporting Member

Stomp worked for me as an entire rig option. I just need 2 overdrives, amp, delay and reverb. With the 2 button extension switch, and a volume pedal, it really can be an end all option. For the price, you can't beat it and when you use external drives or delays, it really is everything you need.

kdm1218 likes this.
  12. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

No. It sounds better with the LA Comp on the end, with a variation on the Sadites settings. Not sure what else you're looking for. To me, it's like a secret sauce.

13. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Member

I have to agree that allowing the user to determine how they allocate DSP would be a better system than an arbitrary 6 blocks, especially using the Stomp as it’s advertised (as a central part of a pedalboard). Since I put a number of dsp-heavy effects in the loop I feel like I could utilize the capabilities of a single chip with some bonus blocks above 6 (EQ, volume, gain, etc,).

Still, I think 3 footswitches is more limiting than 6 blocks. It obviously can be done, but I needed a couple more.

kdm1218 likes this.
  14. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

If one path of 8 is one DSP on the LT/Floor, and the HX Stomp is one DSP, then it'd be nice to go to 8 blocks of one path on the Stomp. Out of all of my Native patches, only one uses dual path. Everything else is 8 blocks or less.

kdm1218 likes this.
  15. Shades of Blue

Shades of Blue Supporting Member

Get a 2 button external footswitch. Mission Engineering makes a good one.

dmock66 likes this.
  16. IT'S NOT A TUMAH

IT'S NOT A TUMAH Member

Alternatively one could get a Tech 21 Midi Mouse. That is what I use and its small footprint allows me to easily put it on a Pedaltrain Nano+ along with the HX Stomp and another pedal.

17. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Member

Yea I have a 2 button Midi.

Shades of Blue likes this.
  18. Elric

Elric Member

It *is* artificially limited by the fixed block limited for all but a handful of DSP-intensive presets, though, which is the entire point. So far all intents and purposes it is intentionally hamstrung.

I strongly suspect it was for ease of use (no users complaining about DSP limit) and UI concerns (no scrolling or hard to read signal chain display). Which is certainly a valid design concern/decision, but, as a potential power user it is super frustrating and feels arbitrary. Especially if you want to use a feature like the loop which uses no DSP but consumes a block.

For me, the Stomp is about two blocks short of being a usable product which would be easier to swallow if I didn't know the hardware was capable of it. I understand I am not the only customer though (although I reserve the internet right to complain ad nauseam).

A change in the limit would certainly render the question of whether or not it was a capable full rig moot, IMHO.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019 at 3:34 PM
    kdm1218 likes this.
  19. Watt McCo

Watt McCo Member

EDIT TO ADD: If the high/low cut is before the amp, yeah, baking EQ into IR is pointless, otherwise, if its post-amp...

If you've got the LA comp or some pretty seriously saturated delay after the IR but before EQ, yeah I get it. Otherwise shouldn't really matter. But in general, yeah, I'm of the opinion that once you get to the point of needing a cab sim . . . Stomp really benefits from having at least one piece of outboard gear. I'm in process of making a powered cab for my Stomp and thinking long and hard about adding an IR loader in addition to power amp so I can use the powered cab for monitoring and then have an XLR out from the cab that has IR applied with no need to use up a block on the Stomp for the IR.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019 at 3:33 PM
  20. GravityWell

GravityWell Member

This sounds like a fun project. Document and post pictures of the progress? I live vicariously through everyone else's posts...

mbenigni likes this.