Helix....To LT or not to LT...

Madmax25

Back when the price difference was significantly less than 500$, I would have gone with the Floor. Mostly because I currently use effects on my vocal mic for backup singer duties. And it would be cool to be able to switch mic sound along with the guitar presets.

But since the price difference has increased so much, I think I'd just rather go with the LT.

AgentSims

Yup - totally get it. I play mostly at church these days. Seems my presets have 3 delays and 3 OD (so I can go from really clean to full drive for leads) - add in a lead boost and I have space for one modulation. I think if I had the extra couple switches I'd add one more modulation and an ambient reverb.

Sometimes when I post stuff like that I think "why do I need 3 ODs in a preset???" - but throughout the course of a full service I also find I use different combinations for different song parts and pieces.
I play at church almost exclusively. We are a big multi site church so that includes a few different venues. I know what you mean about using all of that and then some. I only run with two drives because I run my amps pretty hot. That way I can get a good light drive using my volume knob or switching pickups. I like running all my tones in one patch but then Ill copy that past into a set list for each song. That way my tone is consistent from song to song but I can alter BMP and effects as needed.

Dan Desy

Gold Supporting Member
Back when the price difference was significantly less than 500$, I would have gone with the Floor. Mostly because I currently use effects on my vocal mic for backup singer duties. And it would be cool to be able to switch mic sound along with the guitar presets.

But since the price difference has increased so much, I think I'd just rather go with the LT.

When was the price difference any less? I have no idea what you’re talking about.

Dan Desy

Gold Supporting Member
Oh and also, i own the full-size Helix.

I like the scribble strips, but they’re certainly not worth $500 to me.
I like having the addition I/o options, but again, not for the price.
But factor in the build quality, how solid this thing is, I don’t regret getting it.
But unless you absolutely *need* some If the additional features, I think the LT is a perfectly acceptable choice.

dmock66

I play at church almost exclusively. We are a big multi site church so that includes a few different venues. I know what you mean about using all of that and then some. I only run with two drives because I run my amps pretty hot. That way I can get a good light drive using my volume knob or switching pickups. I like running all my tones in one patch but then Ill copy that past into a set list for each song. That way my tone is consistent from song to song but I can alter BMP and effects as needed.

That makes sense. I've considered doing that - setting BPM per preset and swapping modulations.

Makes sense about running the amp hot and reducing the number of ODs.

Always good to hear other ideas of how to run the Helix.

dbagchee

Silver Supporting Member
For home use, I'd advocate for the full Helix - especially if you have any external pedals you want to use with it - having 4 loops lets you add in two stereo pedals or hook up a few amps in 4cm without having to reconnect every time. With that and the mic input, my Focusrite interface has been sitting in a box for a while.

Madmax25

When was the price difference any less? I have no idea what you’re talking about.

Here in Europe up until a year or so ago the price difference between an LT and the Floor was only about 250-300$ or so. Not quite sure what happened, but suddenly the Floor saw a massive increase in price.

Pastafarian

Value-wise sure I would say the LT is more bang for the buck. Personally I do love the scribble strips on my Helix floor but I really enjoyed the performance view on the LT. I bought the LT twice and sold one and returned the other one but I'd have been fine with the LT had I realized how to use it best for me.

scott58

I've always found going big with Line 6 I'm always satisfied. When I wanted the Variax I got the best they had at the time. Same with the XTLive. When I upgraded to the HD I got a Bean first and found out in short order I was going to have problems with function. Sounded great, but no stomps was killing me. Even the addition of the Express pedal didn't feel right so the HD500 solved that. When I upgrade to the Helix im not going to make that mistake. Gonna get the fully loaded version and not look back. Even if I don't use most of it at least I know it's there if my situation changes.

jcbranam

I'm currently in the same boat. I own the LT but looking to get the floor for the scribble strips, 10 stomp mode and construction material.

Hank Habanero

The regular one looks a bit nicer. The extra inputs/outputs (I only plug the Helix into the FX return of random amp/power amp anyway, ZERO interest in external pedal) and scribble strips (I know what I use each switch for anyway) are pretty much useless for me. The LT did not exist when I bought mine, but I would definitely get the LT today since the nice look and headphone volume are not worth 500 extra.

RockManDan

I originally went for the floor b/c i thought I was going to use more external pedals. Eventually I realized I can get all my sounds from the helix, so I didn't bother with the loops, but then I realized that the send/returns can be used as one or the other, so for example you can use SEND 1 to go to your amp fx return using a traditional cab, then put an IR block after it to go to the PA using the regular 1/4 or XLR outputs if you're doing a hybrid setup like me. Or you can go crazy and put a SEND 3/4 block after some wet effects to do a W/D/W setup. Basically you can use half of a loop anywhere in the chain to send anything you want to a different output. To me, that flexibility is worth it. At a rehearsal studio, I never know what random amps are going to be there, so I don't know if it'll be something that sounds better with cab sim turned on or off. Having the different outputs available and already built into a preset allows me to setup and get playing with a couple of minutes without having to tweak a bunch of stuff.

Also, I pretty much use snapshot mode exclusively, so having the scribble strips - i couldn't imagine them not being there.

Lt_Core

I'm currently in the same boat. I own the LT but looking to get the floor for the scribble strips, 10 stomp mode and construction material.

I'm close to pulling the trigger on the Helix. I'm tired of lugging my EVH 50w head and 2x12 cab to gigs. Our sound company mic's my cabinet and we use in-ears so I'm used to hearing the mic'd tone of an amp.

I've read a few things about the different build qualities in the Floor vs the LT. Can someone be more specific? I will not be connecting external pedals to the Helix, only the Digitech Drop and Shure GLX-D wireless receiver before the Helix. Thanks!

Dan Desy

Gold Supporting Member
I'm close to pulling the trigger on the Helix. I'm tired of lugging my EVH 50w head and 2x12 cab to gigs. Our sound company mic's my cabinet and we use in-ears so I'm used to hearing the mic'd tone of an amp.

I've read a few things about the different build qualities in the Floor vs the LT. Can someone be more specific? I will not be connecting external pedals to the Helix, only the Digitech Drop and Shure GLX-D wireless receiver before the Helix. Thanks!

Well, the full-size Helix is built like a tank, solid aluminium. It’s as simple as that. Whereas the LT is just folded sheet metal. Which is not bad at all, just less solid.

The expression pedal on the Helix also feels super strong.

Top Bottom