Helix Users -- Poll -- IRs or Stock Cabs?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Rocco Crocco, Nov 26, 2017.

Which do you use most of the time?

1. IRs

90 vote(s)
    51.1%
  2. Stock Cabs

86 vote(s)
    48.9%
  1. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Supporting Member

Which do you use most of the time?

2. GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr Supporting Member

I like them both, but I think I have more flexibility to tweak the stock cabs. Granted, an "IR Package" contains TONS of options re: mic placement, etc.. but once you've chosen and IR, the most impact you can have on it is the level.

With the stock cabs, I have more mic options, a decent distance parameter, Hi/Lo Cut, Level etc... with all the tweakability and a parametric EQ block, I can get most of the stock cabs to sound just as good as an IR in most cases.

I also like the simplicity of the stock cabs... I don't have to worry that one will get out of order in my list and mess up all my presets. Easier to manage IMHO.

the cons of the stock cabs is that there is no off-axis mic placement and there are just so much more variety available in the IR market than with the Stock cabs.

I will continue trying IRs along the way and may find some that blow me away, but for now, I prefer to use the stock cabs for simplicity, tweakability, and the fact that I don't have to pay extra for them.

robin taylor, chuskey, ibis and 3 others like this.
  3. Jugemu

Jugemu Member

Real cabs for me, actually. It just happens to be more practical for the places I play.

DaveDaveDave likes this.
  4. LaXu

LaXu Member

How do the stock cabs on the Helix work? Are they an algorithm simulation of how a cab and speaker change the sound? On the Axe-Fx they are all IR based but you can still apply a mic sim and various other parameters on top and that sometimes sounds great.

5. Dave Merrill

Dave Merrill Member

This poll needs some more options...
    • Both, but IRs more
    • Both, but stock cabs more
    • Roughly equal mix of both
    I'm that last one.

6. Kutch

Kutch Member

I dig the poll, but IMO stock cabs have a bit of an advantage being that they are free and come already attached to the unit. Just an observation.

I like that the poll makes you choose one or the other. If i use 3 more IRs than stock cabs in all my patches, then doesnt that mean im a bit more apt to choose IRs? The OP does say most of the time.

7. Frank Ritchotte

Frank Ritchotte Silver Supporting Member

Yes They are hybrid ir’s. Most IRs are static ours have mic selection and placement parameters.

jsad and rubytopaz like this.
  8. burningyen

burningyen Gold Supporting Member

In my old band I was 95% IRs. In my current band my tones are 100% doable with stock cabs.

rubytopaz and JerEvil like this.
  9. LaXu

LaXu Member

Then I guess you could add that also for user IRs? While it probably won't be as ideal as those usually have a mic and placement already baked in but you could probably still get useful results or maybe IR makers would include some neutral reference mic option as well so the options can be applied.

rubytopaz and Frank Ritchotte like this.
  10. jmtaylor22

jmtaylor22 Member

I started out using my normal IR files (OH), but I found a stock cab combination that I am now using for everything. I use it for all the amps.

Even Split:
    4x12 SoloLead EM - 421 Dynamic, 1.5", Off, Off, 5% early reflection, 0
    4x12 Uber T75 - 121 Ribbon, 3.5", Off, Off, 10% early reflection, 0

I also use a ParaEQ right before the cab:
    The EQ is to taste, but always use Low Cut 80hz, High Cut 6.0 kHz.

Here is a link to a patch on CustomTone if anyone wants it. All the uploaded presets use the above stock cabs in all of my presets.

http://line6.com/customtone/tone/3335623/

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
    Jarrett and Strattman76 like this.
  11. ricstudioc

ricstudioc Member

I keep a few IRs on board - OH and the Allures - but far and away I tend to use the stock cabs, particularly dual cab setups.

12. Strattman76

Strattman76 Supporting Member

When I first got the Helix i used IR’s exclusively. Last year started using OH/stock cabs. Now it’s dual stock SLO cabs with different mics. Also like the the Lead 80 in combination with the SLO. These cover classic rock to more modern music depending on the amp in front of them. Works great for me.

MIJLOVER likes this.
  13. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

Any reason to run a PEQ vs. High/Low Cut EQ?

Guitarzman likes this.
  14. jmtaylor22

jmtaylor22 Member

Just for the fine-tuning options, per amp, I will boost/cut occasionally, like with Plexi Bright I like to boost a little at 100hz to give it a bit more bottom end.

Jarrett likes this.
  15. Dave Merrill

Dave Merrill Member

I use both, stock cabs only a bit more than IRs, so I didn't answer the actual poll.

mikah912 likes this.
  16. DallasD

DallasD Member

IRs have better feel for my ears and playing style. No wrong answer.

17. MIJLOVER

MIJLOVER Member

I've used stock cabs most of the time, but been playing over the weekend with the IRs Mbritt provides in his Helix cab. I also bought some from Cabeu and Celestion, but most of the time didn't really bother. Part because I could get great sounds from the stock ones and secondly it's not until now I can easily backup everything in Helix. Might do more experimenting in the future, but I try not to get bogged down with this stuff.

18. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Supporting Member

The voting has been really close since this thread has opened. Its currently 32-31 in favor of the stock cabs.

19. Jarick

Jarick Member

IR's almost all of the time. Have dabbled in stock cabs but drift back to IR's. Although I did get a tube amp and will play through that without cabs.

For IR's, I typically drift back to Ownhammer. Keep trying things like Celestion and 3 Sigma but OH usually wins in the end. Although the new M Britt ones are pretty great and that's what I'm playing with now.

20. Elric

Elric Member

The stock cabs on the Helix are *wretched* generally.