Helix Users -- Poll -- IRs or Stock Cabs?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Rocco Crocco, Nov 26, 2017.

Which do you use most of the time?

1. IRs

91 vote(s)
    51.1%
  2. Stock Cabs

87 vote(s)
    48.9%
  1. redmonda

redmonda Member

I think DI has posted this tip before - but once you have IR imported/loaded, you can use pedal-edit mode and use foot-switches to increment/decrement IR selection to audition while you play. Could even set up a looper to play while you change slots.

Rick Wilson likes this.
  2. Frank Ritchotte

Frank Ritchotte Silver Supporting Member

Yup pedal edit IR auditioning

3. Mooselake

Mooselake Member

I would have to actually have to sit down and count/log minutes played in each configuration--it's really split pretty evenly for me. So I didn't vote because I don't fit the binary universe of the answer selections.

I will say that after some brief checking out of the MBritt IRs, it's possible in 6 months times I might be an IR guy.

4. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

That was a huge help for me. I used NadIR for this and it worked great. I was really hoping this would be addressed in 2.3 but I'm confident it will get reworked in the future.

5. bdrepko

bdrepko Supporting Member

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  6. Unnecessary

Unnecessary Member

9/10 times I can stick my IR of a Mesa OS w/57 on the cap edge in there and it sounds "right" to me. I use the stock cabs when I'm building really far out cleans or space sounds because I do feel like there are more tweaking options versus digging through a bunch of different IRs and then still having to tweak. For heavy rhythm sounds, though, IR is the way for me.

7. Rick Wilson

Rick Wilson Supporting Member

I have a huge inventory of IRs - Redwirez big box, Ownhammer, 3sigma, and some Celestions too.

When I first picked up my Helix 2 years ago I was all IRs all the time.

Now, I'm split down the middle between stock cabs and IRs. Many of my presets use both in the same preset and increasingly I use the stock dual cabs and love the results.

I'll second the IR/cab audition tip about the looper before the amp/cab/IR - recored a phrase/chords - then use pedal edit mode to scroll through the IRs or cabs

8. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

I use IRs for my acoustic modeling, I use stock for my electric sound.

9. bigolsparky

bigolsparky Supporting Member

I have found a few IRs I like. Stock cabs aren't bad, but once you find IRs you like you just plug and play. No tweaking.

voss451 likes this.
  10. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Member

Bump to generate more votes!

11. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

I had to change my vote after finding the MBritt IR's

tonyhay likes this.
  12. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

Still using IR's.

13. MatchFive

MatchFive Silver Supporting Member

I use Ownhammer IR's mostly.

14. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

I started out using IRs exclusively. After finding the time to tweak stock cabs, I started using them more and more. Most of my patches now have a footswitch set to toggle an IR block with a cab block, so I can switch back and forth, and I have figured out how to set the stock cabs well enough, that I often can't tell which is which, without looking. Because of this, I voted stock cabs.

Part of the driver toward stock cabs for me is the way Helix handles IRs by slot number rather than name, and the way the former update procedure worked. Renaming / reloading / renumbering my IR library repeatedly drove me toward wanting to make stock cabs work. Now that HX Edit and Native truncated the last 6 digits off my IR names, it has made me appreciate stock cabs even more, because I don't know what any of my IRs actually are anymore. I sense a strategy here...

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
    pipedwho likes this.
  15. chrisjw5

chrisjw5 Supporting Member

The only IRs I use are the free Allure ones Line 6 made available. I don't find anything wrong with the stock cabs. I've grabbed a bunch of the free 'hey, try us' packs, but honestly, they just seem to be different flavors. I have a few I use here and there, but I've never found a need to go and shell out money on an unknown.

In theory, I would buy a package of 15-20 curated IRs, as I have zero desire to wade through multiple permutations of the same thing in 30 different folders. Then again, it would depend on who is curating it. Everyone's tastes are so different.

[​IMG]

16. vtgearhead

vtgearhead Member

I'm going to guess that Line6 starts with a family of conventional IRs captured at discrete distances and "off-centering" with the actual microphone and speaker. The software in the Helix is then able to interpolate between relatively course steps to give you continuously variable results. This could only be applied to user IRs if it had a means to accept a set of them covering the desired distance range, angles, off-center, etc. Again, just a guess based on the way I'd approach it. IAASE (I Am A Software Engineer).

Jarick likes this.
  17. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

I've tried a few, but the cabs I like best are four or five of the stock cabs. Always through a ribbon mic.

I use IR for acoustic guitar processing, but literally never for a cabinet.

18. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

My assumption was that they capture an impulse with a neutral mic on each speaker, then have additional EQ or impulses that are layered on top for microphone and distance adjustments.

19. burningyen

burningyen Gold Supporting Member

My assumption has always been that they took a brute force approach and actually captured each individual distance with each individual mic.

20. hobbes1

hobbes1 Member

I wondered that too but on several occasions, I've read one of the Line 6 guys reiterating that the stock cabs are "hybrid" cabs and that makes me feel like they are using a single IR per cab and have figured out a way to EQ that cab to simulate various distances, etc. To me, it is all about applied EQ....but then, what do I know? Just guessing based on no applicable industry knowledge :)
    I still use IR's and rarely ever use stock cabs except for bass guitar. Those stock cabs are acceptable to me in some cases.