Helix vs. AX8 - Pay for Upgrades?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by acroberts, Jun 3, 2016.

1. acroberts

acroberts Member

Not quite the same "Helix vs. AX8" question, but I am looking to upgrade from an Amplifire to either the Helix or AX8 (recently got the invite to buy the AX8).

I really love the Helix concept/aesthetics, as I find myself wanting to quickly change parameters while in practice.

The hitch is that I've also had three Line 6 Products in the past - POD, XT Live, HD500 and got a little salty in being charged for upgrades like limited amp packs.

I'm leaning the AX8 route simply because I appreciate what Cliff from Fractal is doing in terms of continuous improvements that don't come with credit card requests.

Anyone have insight as to Line 6's upgrade path or change in upgrade philosophy?

2. JCW308

JCW308 Supporting Member

Go for the AX8 and never look back!

3. s0c9

s0c9 Member

I'm still waiting for the promised L6 Flex-3 firmware upgrade... about 7+ yrs now - along with the promised PC editor upgrade..
    SInce I moved to the AxeFx (back then) - I've had countless firmware and Editor upgrades (Same for MFC).

See if you can find an Ax8 locally to try out....l

arislaf likes this.
  4. bdrepko

bdrepko Supporting Member

Don't know if there are plans for Line6 to charge for upgrades. Fractal is always free.

5. Elantric

Elantric Silver Supporting Member

Not to mention the Vetta, but lets face it, because the IC chip supply chain and evolution of semiconductors today, many DSP IC chips and other components are end of life and become obsolete / stale faster than a can of SPAM.

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threa...ased-out-without-replacement-it-seems.115085/

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/in...ifier-plugin-and-no-more-tigersharcs.1711941/

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
    arislaf likes this.
  6. veritechc

veritechc Member

Line 6 has and will be supporting the Helix. Their responsiveness is top notch. The Developers are always on here right @Frank Ritchotte and @Digital Igloo. They have said numerous times they will not be charging for amps or updates. I've had the Helix since they shipped and there have been numerous updates and new amps and effects. All free.

Go buy a helix and never look back.

EtherealSoul and Viabcroce like this.
  7. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

If that's your only concern, go AX8. Line6 haven't said they will never charge for upgrades on the Helix, so it's it's possible in the future that they will (I wouldn't guess so, but who knows). IMO, there are other, much more important differences that might lead you to choose one over the other though. I prefer the Amplifire to both the Helix and the AX8 in some ways, so it's really a question of exactly what you are looking for.
    -
    Austin

arislaf likes this.
  8. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

Sources? I don't believe I have read that they will not ever be charging for updates. I believe I've read that there are no plans to charge for updates at this time. But I don't know that they are in the position to say anything definitive.
    -
    Austin

9. arislaf

arislaf Member

Hm... If possible get a AX FX 2. I own a Helix, but my vote goes to fractal for faster updates, more additional features and content, that is cost free. I am a L6 camper long time, and I see that the updates are seldom, and additional content is chargeable...

10. afterosmosis

afterosmosis Member

Helix has already added some free amps & effects, FWIW.

11. Frank Ritchotte

Frank Ritchotte Silver Supporting Member

Hi guys. The rules that govern a public company around "forward looking statements" are strict and we have to respect those rules along with the TGP policies. What we have said is we do not and have not charged for firmware updates and there is no plan to. Given the rules we have to abide by you can see that is about as far as we can go but you get the point. We are in a market that has competition and it would be a foolish decision on our part to "differentiate" any way but better. As for the cadence of releases that is COMPLETLY relative to what is being released. A few models do not take nearly as long to develop and test as new functionality. Given the product has only been out for 7 months I think the team are killing it in what has been done to date. Again, not much more I can say than that but hopefully you get it.

12. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

Well, of the future roadmap I know of, I can say that no talk of paid model packs has been mentioned. The funny thing to me in all of this, is that I actually think if we're talking just about comparing the Helix to the AX8, I actually think Line 6 has been moving at a faster clip than Helix. Also, don't forget that the AX8 doesn't have the USB audio capabilities the Helix has, so there's a whole other layer of complexity that Line 6 is dealing with there.

It will be interesting to see how what happens over the next month or so impacts these threads...

EDIT: ^^or what Frank said. Didn't see his post until after I posted.

13. Elantric

Elantric Silver Supporting Member

jrjones and arislaf like this.
  14. veritechc

veritechc Member

Well the Senor Director of Line 6 Operations just answered your post within a hour of when you asked on a Forum that is not part of his company. If that doesn't show EVERYONE that they are deticated to the Helix and put all claims that they will be charging for updates or amps to bed nothing will. I have seen Frank answer all kinds of questions and expedite the few repairs that users of the Helix needed. Buy your Helix with confidence. Get a USB interface and a headphone jack thrown in and make some awesome music and control everything in your rig.

Thank me later.

15. SteveO

SteveO Member

The Helix is Line 6's first venture into a new market, and my guess would be that if they want to compete successfully with Fractal and Kemper they'll have to offer upgrades at the same cost that their competitors do-which is "free".

mikah912, Axe_34, MIJLOVER and 3 others like this.
  16. JCW308

JCW308 Supporting Member

FWIW, I had a Helix and sent it back shortly after I received it. Could never bond with it. The second I fired up my FX8 (not the AX8), I knew I made the right choice. I don't think the Helix is awful. It's incredible. Just not for me.

mbenigni and Elantric like this.
  17. agbiggs

agbiggs Member

I'm pro-paid upgrades if it would in more/better/faster expansion. (Ask yourself: was the food on airplanes better when it was "free"? 'Nuff said.) But in a number of places the Line 6 folks have made clear that's not what their looking at, and not just in a "no plans at this time" way -- it's not the model they seem to like. So I'd expect the expansion paths for Helix and the AX8 to be pretty similar.

mrboston likes this.
  18. arislaf

arislaf Member

I know that FW were always free, but additional content like amps and effects, was not free at any unit. Yes there was the soldano and line 6 models on HD, but model packs were not free.

I hope this time is different, cause Helix is stripped of filters, and generally effects.

19. SilentScorp

SilentScorp Member

I think he said firmware updates. Have they stated that there will be no amp packs for sale and all amp and effects will be free upgrades? Can we get a link to that?

arislaf likes this.
  20. Frank Ritchotte

Frank Ritchotte Silver Supporting Member

FW updates are the way we deliver new content. Just like we did with the Matchless, Timmy, etc.