Helix vs Ax8

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Mr. Brady, Jul 17, 2015.

Which one

1. Ax8

225 vote(s)
    54.2%
  2. Helix

190 vote(s)
    45.8%
  1. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Gold Supporting Member

2. big_aug

big_aug Member

Well, the Helix uses the same processors as the AX8. The only thing stopping the Helix from being on the same level would be the coding. I'd imagine the folks at Line 6 are fairly competent and capable despite what some would lead us to believe. I don't think the Line 6 products have been on "equal" footing in terms of hardware until now. I say "equal" as its only equal to the AX8.

3. big_aug

big_aug Member

Man, if the Helix is actually as good as it seems, that wait list for the AX8 might seem extra long:rotflmao

Jose7822 likes this.
  4. cereal

cereal Member

The wildcard may be the Rivera Venus that hasn't been released. No effects - just a basic amp. So much goodness coming out soon (I hope)

5. DavidE

DavidE Member

He said no questions asked. He made up his mind before a Helix clip was even available. Dont waste your time.

dapeegoo likes this.
  6. DavidE

DavidE Member

I know Kemper users who disagree with you 100%. Real amazing players who never thought they'd be happy with digiTal amps. Disappointed with the sound and feel of Fractal and were shocked by the Kemper. So, you have your opinion and others have theirs.

nicolasrivera likes this.
  7. richpjr

richpjr Member

Sounds like some serious comparisons will soon be able to be made - good times in the modeling world.

8. Greatdane

Greatdane Member

Only thing we can compare at the moment is the design of the two.
    Helix is waaay ahead on this one IMO.
    AX8 looks like just classic board while Helix really have something now to show.
    The scribble strips are brilliant. No need to remember which preset or fx is number 1 or 42 or 13. It's right there on the scribble strips.
    The whole look of the Helix is so damn sexy - the AX8 looks really old school when compared.

most important part is the sound of course but Helix is really ahead in the race at the moment.

dotpc and Jose7822 like this.
  9. kodou

kodou Member

You mean a complete lack of AX8 videos defaults it to better? Or has there been a demo video that I have missed?

dotpc likes this.
  10. Greatdane

Greatdane Member

You might have seen videos of FX8 but not AX8. 2 different beasts. The waitlist for AX8 has not even been opened yet.
    Judging overall quality of sound based on YouTube videos is definately not serious IMO.

11. nicolasrivera

Yes, you are absolutly right!!!!!!!

Yet, Kemper has nothing to do with this thread and there are many kemper users, pro and not pro, who have been really dissapointed with the unit, even after trying the best profiles out there still didnt find it to sound right.

12. nicolasrivera

How about Soundcloud? is that serious? I mean, what kind of digital format would you like to hear for proper judgement?

13. markus506

markus506 Member

I firmly believe there will be very little difference in amp sounds between the two, at least something a high quality IR can't fix. For me, it will come down to price and feature set. The AX8 scenes feature is something I really want, so Helix will have to implement that before I would consider purchasing. However, I won't be purchasing anything until next year, so I have the luxury of taking a "wait and see" approach.

jimfist likes this.
  14. Greatdane

Greatdane Member

Compressed audio is not a god basis for judging audio quality so no. Soundcloud, when compressed to 128 kbps mp3 files, is not serious IMO.

fourtet102 likes this.
  15. toasterdude

toasterdude Member

But one amp while helix does two. Can you not see the advantage in that?

Jose7822 and nicolasrivera like this.
  16. toasterdude

toasterdude Member

I will 100% be getting Helix. Dual amps and variax support are huge advantages for me.

I have been wanting a portable rig that approaches axe fx territory. Helix wil get me there.

No plans to sell my axes though. Scenes, controllers, lfos, sequencers plus over 200 amps are huge advantages on the fractal side.

Not a zero sum game. Helix can be great product without making Fractal products less great. Or kemper or amplifire.

Actually if anything Helix may cause me to sell amplifire though it's size and weight and price may make it worth keeping!

dotpc and Greatdane like this.
  17. nicolasrivera

You are wrong!!.. Helix could do up to 4 amps and 4 cabs as long as the DSP is not maxed out.

To be honest i can count with my two hands all the times when i have used two amps at once in the past 10 years, so that is of no concern to me.

18. nicolasrivera

Have you found any of those uncompressed demos? if so where?

I only hear CDs in my car, all the media and music i hear and see is compressed... todays music, what...98% of it is consumed by the mases in compressed formats!

So hearing digital amp simulated units in YT or SC or such is a good reference of how our music will come out when is distributed.

19. Greatdane

Greatdane Member

If Fractal claimed the moon was purple some people would to their death stand by that statement.

Jose7822 and erniecaster like this.
  20. Greatdane

Greatdane Member

Never said I had and I'm not going into a pissing match with you. Everyone knows you love Fractal and that's alright.