Helix: why the limit on fx/parameters per FS?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by hobbes1, Apr 28, 2016.

1. hobbes1

hobbes1 Member

Just spending some more (quality) time with Helix tonight. Given the ability of Helix to allow Super Serial line ups of amps/cabs/effects, I'm wondering why Line 6 has limited the number of parameters and/or effects that can be switched on/off by a given foot switch?

I have been experimenting with assigning, say one FS named Lead that might have comp/od/delay/reverb plus some changes in the amp parameters (drive/master/BMT, presence, etc). One can run out of room assigning parameters to a single footswitch pretty easily when you start adding in amp parameter changes as well. Is there a hard limit that the Helix memory can't go beyond or is this only an arbitrarily assigned limitation by Line 6?

Helix is really a wonderful piece of gear and I am, overall, very pleased with it and how it can sound. However, given all that one can do on the Helix, I do wish that I could assign more things per FS (and of course I have voted up on IdeaScale, the X/Y and scenes suggestions).

@Digital Igloo and @Frank Ritchotte is there any hope for me and my request? (eg: should it be on IdeaScale or is there just no memory left for Helix to allow more assignments/FS?)

2. Digital Igloo

Digital Igloo Member

It started out as a UX-based decision. We felt that cycling through more than 8 assignments by repeatedly touching the switch would be really annoying. It's not a memory limitation at all, although there is a technical limitation of 64 total controller assignments per preset, but I believe that number doesn't include block bypass or Command Center assignments. IdeaScale it up.

3. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

What's the current limit? I haven't run into it yet.

4. hobbes1

hobbes1 Member

Iirc, 8 is the limit and per DI above

5. hobbes1

hobbes1 Member

6. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

you MAY be able to do what you want by having chain 1A be ONE amp and some FX, and chain 1B be a DIFFERENT amp and different FX (although some might be shared between them) and switching between chains.

Of course, some kind of "scenes" functionality takes care of all of it I suspect.

7. Axe_34

Axe_34 Supporting Member

You forgot to add "hint hint"

Madmax25 likes this.
  8. hobbes1

hobbes1 Member

Yes, I think that Scenes in the Fractal sense would, IMHO, make the Helix top dog at this price point. There will be those who prefer something else, but scenes really would be the cherry on top for Helix.
    My idea of increasing the assignable parameters, is more of a poor mans Scenes as I don't know if Helix can do scenes the way Fractal does them.

9. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

Actually I only know what y'all know, that D.I. has said it won't be called scenes. But you can reason that they HAVE to be looking at it. This year? Who knows. I don't...

MIJLOVER and Frank Ritchotte like this.
  10. tjontheroad

tjontheroad Silver Supporting Member

New Jersey... YOU GOTTA PROBLEM WITH THAT?!?!
    I do hope they implement more than MIDI command sent per footswitch. This would be a big help to me.

11. hobbes1

hobbes1 Member

yes, that would be nice as well. fingers crossed :)
    the Idea has been moved to "under review"...not sure what that means in a practical sense as it still had relatively low number of votes. Hoping that the Idea gets some Line6 love in the near future, though :)

Frank Ritchotte likes this.
  12. DunedinDragon

DunedinDragon Member

Personally having come from the HD500X world and it's limitations on assignment of FS, I'm really happy to have 8!!! More than I think I'll ever need.