Hell Has Frozen Over

jrockbridge

(edit) I told myself I’d buy a chorus when hell freezes over. Small review below (edit).

I bought a Chorus pedal, a Boss CE5. I’m not much of a fan of the effect. I experienced burnout hearing it everywhere throughout the 80’s. I don’t mind hearing other players use it when it’s appropriate, particularly when they are covering 80’s songs. But, I just don’t have much use for it in what I play. So what happened?

I had need of a buffered pedal at the end of my chain. I sold my old Boss pedals years ago. I walked into a music store today and, of the Boss pedals they had, this made the most sense. I’ll probably set it on fast speed similar to a Leslie and kick it on once in a blue moon. Lol!

(edit)
Review Boss CE5 Chorus Ensemble

The CE5 might not be the best chorus pedal for those who love chorus. By comparison to the other Boss chorus pedals, the CE5 is the blandest with the least personality. However, that was part of what made me give it a chance.

I’m not a fan of over the top, classic chorus sounds. But, I will admit that I do still like a lot the 80’s music that included this effect, despite the overt use of warble. I simply have no interest in repeating those sounds.

I bought the CE5 to give the effect a chance since I own zero chorus pedals. I originally put it at the end of a board for the buffer in the pedal. However, it’s not going to stay there. But, it will get used by me. The Filter knobs are brilliant and along with the other controls, I have found a great subtle, effected sound that I like for certain rhythm textures.

FYI the stereo function is not what you might expect. The stereo outputs split the signal path into full dry on one output and wet on the other output. This is perfect for me and seals the deal for how I plan to use this pedal. The effect is great for a sound that pleases the ears without making it obvious what effect is being used. It’s a keeper. Now, I have to decide on which board to place the CE5.

(edit)
PT Metro 24

Riot > AC Tone > Sweet Honey > CE5 > BED > Solemate > MS50G > Ditto

Last edited:

jrockbridge

I've been playing a CE 5 for ages. Its just a good basic chorus
And yet most pedals are mono...this is stereo.

I think I can see your problem with Chorus pedals.
Go on...

Actually, I like this pedals ability to do a subtle effect. That’s my preference.

I’ll probably also use it on a fast speed every so often. But, slow and subtle is what I prefer.

Vhailor

Supporting Member
I bought a Chorus pedal, a Boss CE5. I’m not much of a fan of the effect. I experienced burnout hearing it everywhere throughout the 80’s. I don’t mind hearing other players use it when it’s appropriate, particularly when they are covering 80’s songs. But, I just don’t have much use for it in what I play. So what happened?

I had need of a buffered pedal at the end of my chain. I sold my old Boss pedals years ago. I walked into a music store today and, of the Boss pedals they had, this made the most sense. I’ll probably set it on fast speed similar to a Leslie and kick it on once in a blue moon. Lol!

I'm kinda missing the moral of the story.

Riffa

I have an analog CE-5 for the effect. It's pretty good, better than my old Ibanez CS-9.

Big in Japan

Supporting Member
I happen to like the CE-5, but I always have a Boss Digital Delay at the end of my chain on buffer duty (when it’s not on).

Lyndon

I experienced burnout hearing it everywhere throughout the 80’s. I don’t mind hearing other players use it when it’s appropriate, particularly when they are covering 80’s songs. But, I just don’t have much use for it in what I play.
The only thing I can think of that made me want to have and use a chorus pedal is Nirvana . . . you know, the band that gets the bulk of the credit (or blame) for upending 80s music. Ironic, I guess.

Doubly ironic is that the Eagles' Hell Freezes Over also came out in the Nirvana era. Yeah, I didn't really care then either.

Last edited:

galibier_un

Supporting Member

That end of the chain buffer (or tone shaper). Last night, I moved my RC Booster back to the end of the chain. Why did I ever move it :jo

It's my mo' better pedal, 'coz it makes everything I own sound like a better version of itself.

I hope you don't gig with that board?
It's his fly-out board :D

... Thom

Trending Topics