Hell yeah! Just learnt "Go Your Own Way" by ear!

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by Turi, May 1, 2015.

1. Turi

Turi Member

Woo!

This is a song I never thought I'd be able to play. I've known the chords for ages.. used to cover it acoustic.. but man.

Inspired by the guitar rut thread, I thought I'd try my hand at something that wasn't so simple.

Turns out, it's probably just as simple!
    Way easier to play than it sounds.

So cool. Really proud of myself. Never thought I'd be able to play that outro.
    I've learnt it pretty much as is, but eh, no point really just doing it exactly the same.. I figured, I can use the "key" parts of it, like where he keeps spamming the high A note over and over, then the little double stop Chuck Berry-type thing, then spam the D note, then he spams the G note.

I can kinda wing everything in between and make it my own.
    I feel like those high A, D and G notes where he's just spamming them are kinda central to the outro.
    After the first half where it's in the lower register.. I think that whole section probably should be done as it is..

Man. Sweet. So stoked.

I'm scrapping all TABs and chords completely hereon in. I'm having way too much success learning by ear.
    I wish I never even had the damn internet before I started learning songs.. too easy to cheat, and get it wrong.

Learnt the whole song, start to finish, and wrote up all the notes on a piece of paper within maybe 30-45 minutes. Not bad.
    Could be quicker, but eh.. it's kind of cool to write the actual notes down on paper, I'm really getting a feel for where each note is on the fretboard.

This should make it easier for me to improvise with, hopefully.

Very cool.

2. Paully1

Paully1 Member

Tré cool,
    Good job.