Hellbaby type pedal???

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by musickbox, Oct 2, 2006.

1. musickbox

musickbox Supporting Member

Hey guys, I am thinking of selling my Hellbaby I recently got and enjoy the pedal a lot. I am not crazy about it as a boost but as an overdrive it excels wonderfully. I use it to stack with other pedals (Timmy mostly). Anyways I might sell it, is there an other type of pedal that achieves a similar overdrive/fuzzy sound??? If this pedal is one of kind I might just keep it. My understanding few were made so that's another reason to keep it. Thanks for your help.

-Yannick

2. rewog

rewog Member

I don't understand why you want to sell it and buy something similar if you like it ?
    There were only 25 Hellbabys made. I have 2. It's an awesome little pedal, although really more of an overdrive than a boost, I agree.
    Small footprint and quality build make it a keeper.
    Try one alongside a Tubescreamer sometime. It will blow the TS off with ease IMO. Much more responsive and open sounding and more balls.
    The only reason these aren't much more popular IMO is that so few people have tried one.

3. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Don't sell it! I think it's an awesome pedal. I'm never getting rid of it. Even if you don't boost the signal a lot, a little of the gain goes a long way to goose the amp.

But check out pages 2 and 3 of this thread, the ToneFactor Mule is a similar sound with less output and more gain range (according to a couple people- I haven't tried one, I'm probably OK between Hellbaby, Hellbilly & Huckleberry, with a Squeeze Factor in there, too).

I still wouldn't sell it!

4. rewog

rewog Member

I think the Mule and the HellBaby are voiced very differently.
    The Red Llama style pedals have a lot of bottom end ans a more open range while the HellBaby pushes the mids in a nice way.
    Tone factor have a new pedal out called an "11" that I think might be more like the HellBaby.

5. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I really like the hellbaby's "thwack" type chunky gain sound... not so much a "finished" gain sound, it's great for feeding a tube amp. Must look (but not buy) the "11" (I'm broke)...

6. rewog

rewog Member

I agree... it's a really ballsy pedal, and voiced just right for kicking a tube amp along.

7. musickbox

Yea, I don't want to sell it, but I need the cash for school. It's getting bad. I just thought, in case I do get the cash again what to buy. Only complaint of the pedal is the volume. It's a super loud pedal. Thanks for the opinions. BTW I started the thread on the Mule. The pedal has this mid tone that I am in love with. I usually don't like that mid hump but it sounds great.

8. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

The HellBaby is loud alright. I never run the Level knob higher than 9:00 on mine. My best use for this pedal is as a boost for other things, like getting more push out of the HellBilly or the HBE Big D (yeah, really!). And it's ideal for getting more muscle out of the Rocktron Banshee talk box.

Brad at Tone Factor has said 25 were made and sold. This one could be a real collector's item someday. Mine is #2!

9. b_rad

b_rad Member

Yeah, if it does the job and you like it, I would keep it. There are other pedals that do similar things, but nothing just like it that I know of.

The Hellbaby was a killer pedal, but I think the output was too much for some folks, and the glassy top end doesn't work well with some types of amps. IMO, it would have benefited from a tone knob.

Just a side note, Bob released the same circuit under the Fachertron name as the Lil' Facher. I'm not sure how many of those he sold, maybe 20. If you can find one of those it's the same deal, just a different package.

10. gaspedals.net

gaspedals.net Member

Yo B, how close to the baby is the eleven? Is the baby anything like a carb? Ive still got my billy on the board - awesome fuzz! -Jayson

11. b_rad

b_rad Member

The Baby and Eleven aren't just worlds apart. Then Eleven has less output than the Baby (it's still LOUD), and it's easier to match it up to some amps. Just going by memory I'd say both of them are edgier than the Carb from what I can remember. The Carb seemed to have more of a rounded vintage type tone, but again I'm going form memory and I only heard it for a few minutes.

12. musickbox

Hey Brad, is the eleven a clean boost or is it like the Hellbaby (which isn't so clean)? also does it have the mids that the Hellbaby has?? I know they are not the same pedals, just want to know how close they sound to each other.

13. b_rad

b_rad Member

I wouldn't say that it's totally clean. It's easy to get some hair on it. :)
    It has a slight mid boost as well. It's a fantastic solo boost.