Hellbilly -> Gainster = NICE!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rorschah, Dec 17, 2005.

1. rorschah

rorschah Member

Beautiful combo. Hellibilly is wonderfully flexible and cool, but not super-dynamic. Gainster is sort of a one-trick sound (Tweed!) but super tubey and reactive and delightful to play. Together, they're perfect.

Goes from crunchy light fuzz to, very Howlin' Wolf band p90->destroyed amp, to, with the tone turned all the way to the right for max-fuzz and the gain most of the way up, weird whirring roar crud of the Earth and Melvins variety.

loves the strat and the tele.

This hasn't been tried at jam/gig yet, only at home.. I'll let you know.

-thi

2. rorschah

rorschah Member

Hellbilly first, into Gainster.

Gainster is better at low and mid of its range. At the high end, it sounds a little artificial. (I like Gainster at 2 o'clock, + Hellbilly with gain at noon or a little below for what feels to me like a more natural and jagged tubey breakup.)

-thi

3. rorschah

rorschah Member

From listening to clips and reading reviews and stuff, I'd guess the Honey Bee is more exactly responsive in the small old amp style, and the Gainster/Hellbilly combo capable of far more weirdness. (I think the new price of G+H is the same as a Honey Bee).

I want Honey Bee too, myself.

-thi

4. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

yupper ~ fuzz into tube screamer is a great pallette to play - I borrowed this from Gary Louris after being upfront at a Jayhawks show... He used a Fulldrive for drive and then kicked in a silicon Fuzz face for solo boost (rather than using the boost on the FD2) - this adds the singing sound of the fuzz without it going too mushy or thinning out into mosquito tone.... the mid bump and bass rolloff help to refocus the fuzz EQ so it cuts well too..... and still has some interesting variation with guitar volume knob adjustments.......:BluesBros

5. Don Rusk

thats a good description....

Hell Billy into Honey Bee is even better - makes a useful OD sound with Fuzz 'hair' that still pick dynamic .......

6. erksin

erksin Member

Yep - I love that tone! Hellbilly into the Timmy for me, just like you describe DonneR only with a little bigger tighter bottom...

7. empty71

empty71 Member

I'm using the Hellbilly into Barber DDSS with "clear blues mode" option and I'm loving the tones I'm getting. Sustain for days!!!

I'm using a Reverend Kingsnake combo. Guitars are an Eastpointe Reverend Avenger and Tyler Classic.

8. jrigg

jrigg Gold Supporting Member

I get great sounds running my COT50 into a Gainster with the drive set to 1-2 o'clock.

9. Don Rusk

Right, its even better to have the Timmys bass control to fineutne it more...

10. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

What settings are you guys using on the HellBilly?

11. mcfuzz

mcfuzz Guest

hey billy K, when i have one [and thats rare] and gig with it i run gain full up, tone & vol at 11 or 11:30. i dont do that stacking thing ,i just dont have time for goofing around like that on a gig, fumbling around with knobs on the job aint too cool with some club owners. just set it & use my guitar for the rest. punch it on for leads then turn it off. i run my Boogie MK1 loud clean.and BTW my stage rig is my testing rig for all my pedals.

12. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Hey Bob,Thanks for the feedback. "Gain Full Up"? You monster!

13. Don Rusk

Right it depends on how its being used - if its like Bobs and its t he main distortion unit then floor it !! but it also makes a great flavor stacker , either as hair provider for an OD or as dirty boost --- pretty versatile unit.....