HellBilly on the way - what am I in for?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BillyK, Nov 15, 2005.

1. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

I was going to buy a HellBilly earlier this year when they first came out. I recall really good press on this pedal. I just bought one and it's on it's way.

Any current HellBilly owners care to offer their opinions?

2. noises ten

noises ten Member

KILLER pedal... Sounds great with my Timmy. I now have 2 textures to play with, and combined they sound most Excellent!!!

The first week I had it, a studio engineer comes over the talkback and says "What is that!! That sounds great, Gotta get one"

D

3. Hugh DaMann

Hugh DaMann Silver Supporting Member

I love it and can't imagine ever getting rid of it. It's sounds unique and familiar at the same time. It's also very dynamic and sounds good at just about every setting.

4. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I've had mine since April - bought it from Brad himself at the Dallas Guitar Show.

I use it mostly as a "just on the edge" boost, but the fuzz setting is nice too. It really helps add clarity to the gain I get from the amp or other pedals. It really plays well with other pedals too, like my Fulltone Clyde wah.

5. mcfuzz

mcfuzz Guest

Hey Noises 10, i have a friend Bass player bud, that just moved from Charlotte, Mike Cline, not a weekend warrior, working pro,ring a bell? ill ask him about you guys tomorrow. btw NC is my home.

6. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Thanks guys!

From my understanding, the HellBilly is similar to the McFuzz, but is voiced differently. Since it's similar, I gotta ask, does the HB insist on going first in the chain? In my experience, the McFuzz really likes to see the pups, not the output of another pedal. I have not had a lot of luck putting it later in the chain.

What are your experiences with the HellBilly in this regard??

7. cameron

cameron Member

I've been using the Hellbilly last in the chain, as a clean(ish) boost. Works fine.

8. erksin

erksin Member

The Hellbilly works fine after a wah pedal, but if you're going to use it as a gain box (not as a boost) I wouldn't put it any further down the chain...

I use mine as a treble booster - sounds killer in front of other dirt boxes, especially the Timmy. Those two pedals are such a great pairing, IMO.

I never could get on with fuzzes or straight up treble boosters - the Hellbilly is a different story.

Charmless likes this.
  9. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

erksin is dead on...my experience exactly.

As far as what you're in for... oohh baby! The HB sounds so great and is so versatile. Awesome fuzzface type sound, awesome treble boost. The tone knob is really more of a "morph" knob between the two sounds. Very sensitive to changes in guitar's volume. Here's a little secret: with HB in full-on fuzz face mode, roll the guitar volume back on a tele and you're in chicken pickin' HEAVEN!!

A

10. El Salvador

El Salvador Member

Glad to hear most of you guys are really satisfied with the HB/Timmy combo. I've got an HB ... and the Timmy's on it's way!! :dude
    Oh and about the HB: it's a great pedal! You can dial in a lot of different sounds so there's a huge chance you can get a sound out of it that you will love!

11. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

I know you guys are spot-on re: the HB, as the McFuzz is very similar.

I bought the McFuzz on a lark a year ago and after using it for a week or so, I was just amazed at what it could do. I never thought I'd use a "Fuzz" again after I tossed my Maestro Fuzz Tone in 1969!! I don't like generic wooly farty fuzz. I was pleasantly surprized to learn that the McFuzz was anything but that. It's very sensitve to pick attack, volume, tone - I think it's a germ tranny thing.

On the downside, I am not sure if I'll need the McFuzz after the HB arrives!!

12. erksin

erksin Member

What is so cool about the HB when stacking it with the Timmy is that it completely retains all the definition when chording - and I'm talking about having the gain close to dimed on both units. That's just amazing to me...

13. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Hey erksin,
    The HB actually improves the definition of the pedal combo when stacking? Amazing! Stacking typically thickens things up with significant loss of single note definition in favor of some attribute such as endless sustain. Good to hear!

Have you ever tried a McFuzz? Can you compare??

14. erksin

erksin Member

I think it's mostly the Timmy holding it all together since you can dial in the EQ so well, but the HB doesn't 'mush out' or get splatty very much at all the way I use mine (the treble booster type settings). It is certainly a thicker sound, but still keeps the note clarity within chords - very cool.

Never tried the Mc Fuzz, sorry...

15. noises ten

noises ten Member

Doesn't ring a bell, what type of stuff did he do?? Who did he play with?? Charlotte's music community is fairly small, so I am sure we have some mutual friends. I also used to play with "Static" that hosted and open jam on Tues. at Smokey Joe's...

Rock on NC!! :dude

16. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Got the HB - it's one of the "Donnerboxes" - it's absolutely beautiful. I HAVEN'T HAD THE FREAK'IN OPPORTUNITY TO PLAY IT YET!! ARRRRGGGGGGG!!!!

I'll have plenty of time tonight/this weekend to wear it out.

I wonder if this will replace the McFuzz that I own. Any of you guys own/use both?

17. RickB

RickB Member

I have a HB, one of the Donner Boxes. If I could only have ONE dirt pedal, this would be it. Extremely versatile and sounds great on any setting.

18. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

"If I could only have ONE dirt pedal, this would be it. Extremely versatile and sounds great on any setting"

You are not the only one to say this! Isn't this supposed to be a freak'in fuzz box?

I look forward to checking out the non-fuzz character of the HB - the lighter OD and distortion qualities.

Brad from Tonefactor indicated that there where just 6 Donnerbox versions of the HB made. Man, I got lucky!

19. erksin

erksin Member

I think that could be true, but only if you are getting OD from an already overdriven amp IMO. That's not the case with me, luckily the HB stacks incredibly well with other OD pedals...

20. RickB

RickB Member

Well, I think it is more of a OD than a fuzz. Depends how you set it though. I just feel like it covers a lot of ground and is not a one trick pony. And yeah, mine is one of the 6 that were made. I have mine for sale (only because I am getting one of a different color) but that is for another forum.