1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Helliver (sniff and whine)

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by JohnMS, Sep 12, 2006.

1. JohnMS

JohnMS Member

I am in the processing of parting ways with two guitars (an early series Catalyst Panthera and a 73 Strat) and thought I might as well have the whole intonation etc. adjusted by an expert, so I brought them to the friendly Oliver Kalischke of Helliver Guitars (www.helliver.de) right around the corner.

Oliver makes very fine guitars out of fine woods which start at 1400 for a basic model with one bridge pickup and end prolly at around 3000 euros.

His Pilot model, a twangy guitar feat. a mahagony frame and an aluminium top and back, is famous over here in Germany. Blues guitarists love it.

Anyway, I sat around and tried all of the guitars he had in stock. Unfortuanately for me, I fell in love with all of them. They played totally natural. The weight was ok to wonderfully light, the necks were wonderfully playable and I couldn't find one single deadspot on any guitar (in contrast to a Nik Huber I tried out once upon a time which had one or two beyond the 12th fret).

Just play well. The fingers can do their job without any resistance or whatever. Brilliant. He's on the same level of Tom Anderson or PRS for a comparably and competitively low price.

Anyway, turned out all the guitars I was interested in started at 1900 euros, which is unfortuanately just too much for me at the moment.

He's just starting out and he told me he will have to screw up the prices (woods, handmade by himself etc.) once he's really in business.

Excellent guitars, loads of sustain, crisp sound, organic, full and natural.

Damn.

Just have a look at his gallery:

http://www.helliver.de/index.php/helliver_galerie

*sniff*

2. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

I love the looks of those guitars. Kinda puts me in mind of a Trussart.

I can also see the marketing angle here in the states..."That's a Helliver guitar!"

:)

3. JohnMS

JohnMS Member

Haha, true, didn't think about that helliver/ helluva thingy. The name is probably derived from his first name "Oliver" - "Helliver". His guitars are good as hell, indeedy.

All handmade in his workshop. I'll be going there tomorrow again to pick my stuff up, perhaps I'll make a photo or two and post them here.

4. koamarlin

koamarlin Member

Could you possibly describe where those deadspots would come from?:) :) :)

I happen to own a couple of Hubers and one of Oliver´s Pilot´s as well: I have to agree that Olivers guitars are well built and sound great ( not at all only twangy by the way!!)
    Strange enough I never had any problems with deadspots on Nik´s guitars either......
    Sure enough the better is the natural enemy of the good - but seldom it´s the other way around.
    B.T.W.:I showed Oliver´s guitar to Nik and he was full of praise obout it- and when I told Oliver about it he was delighted to hear that!
    So I really dont think there is any need to pretend there was a real competition going on between them:There would be none!
    Fortunately those guys both are realistic and down to earth enough to respect each other as professionals.And that´s what I like most about them!!:D

5. Mudder

Mudder Member

Those are real nice. The metal top looks a bit like a Zematis. I'd be very interested if there were a US dealer.

6. Marcel

Marcel Member

You naturaly don't remeber where you play'd that guitar or which one it was with the dead spot(s)....?

I'm telling you that Nik does NOT build guitars with your mentioned dead spot(s)! If you think you doing a good job by promoting Helliver Guitars here by telling negative stories about other respected Builders then I think you are slightly mistaken.

7. JohnMS

JohnMS Member

First off, I've only tried one Nik Huber guitar. I'm not trying to make Helliver better than Nik Huber's gear.

The Huber I tried out was at a music store in The Netherlands. Their was what I take to be a dead spot around the 15th or so fret - i.e. I played a note, but it died fast.

It may just as well have been the setup, or what do I know.

It certainly is not my purpose to talk down Huber, actually I wouldn't mind a Huber myself.

I'm actually just quite, no, very happy to know there's a guitar builder around the corner who a) builds great guitars and b) I can trust with anything on my guitars which comes along.

So let's all cool down. Have a look at some rabbits instead:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sg9x5mUjbH8

8. Marcel

Marcel Member

Why not post the shop address -as I know most of the owners, to verify..?

9. suttree

suttree Member

post of the week!:AOK

no flame wars marcel, take it easy.. johnms is just sharing a builder he found.

10. koamarlin

koamarlin Member

Hey Marcel, cool down, JohnMS is just trying to advertise a product he likes - in an somewhat inapropriate way, I´m afraid., but I´m sure he does n´t mean no offence.
    Everybody who knows the products will judge for himself. Nik won´t lose that competition - I´m sure.:AOK

11. J Purcell

J Purcell Member

There was an earlier thread on Helliver Guitars from a couple of months ago.
    They were working with a US dealer but I don't remember who it was.
    A search may turn up the old thread.

12. J Purcell

J Purcell Member

I just checked. It was 6th String Music. He posts here once in a while.
    Their site still says Hellivers are coming soon.

13. koamarlin

koamarlin Member

I did that threat on Helliver guitars: first in August 2005, the second in May 2006.: " Helliver guitars anyone?"

Best thing to do would be to conact Oliver himself via the link on his Website.

14. koamarlin

koamarlin Member

Ooops! Obviously missed out on some developments concerning US distributers!? Never mind... :worried

15. Helliver

Helliver Member

Helliver Guitars are available directly from myself here in Germany and can be shipped worldwide. The work on an American distribution is on hold at the moment. Feel free to send any questions and orders to info@helliver.de . I will try to answer questions here in the forum aswell.

16. Marcel

Marcel Member

OK, I know when I'm called off..:nono I go barking to the paperboy tomorow again :D .

17. suttree

suttree Member

2nd "post of the week" :AOK

18. koamarlin

koamarlin Member

19. Marcel

Marcel Member