Hello again and my new pro tools set-up

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by GaryNattrass, Jun 23, 2006.

1. GaryNattrass

GaryNattrass Member

Have just aquired a new set-up for use at home for music and post pro recording.

I got a macbook pro 17 inch laptop to go with my 002 desk and also got an m-box 2 to get the portable recording covered.

I got 2gig of ram in the macbook and have hooked it up with a 20 inch cinema screen and a lacie 350gig hard drive.

I also invested in the dv toolkit 2 which gives me all the post features I need but also expands the track count to 48 audio tracks.

I had to wait for digidesign to release the software for macbooks at the begining of this month and my waves plug ins wont work yet but the macbook is so easy to use and is miles better than the pc based system I was using.

I also got a soundcraft 6000 analogue console to use as mic amps and as tracking eq and have kept my great british spring reverb and the lexicon reverb as outboard.

I looked at the mackies as speaker option but ended up with a pair of dynaudio BM10's for less than $500 off e-bay. I have used dynaudio for the past 10 years in post pro so I am glad to be keeping the familiar brand and sound.

The pub is going great and we are applying for grant funding to run the restaurant as a folk and jazz blues club. My recording room is out the back and I can run in a multi way and offer a full recording service.

I am also helping two old mates with their dubbing operation based around an ams neve logic and audiofile so I can also use the dv toolkit to do track laying and import omf material.

sorry havent been around for a while but have had a lot to deal with in the last year hope to see old friends here again.

2. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

Sounds really great, Gary!

3. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

Sounds like a great rig.

I'm about to take the plunge into Mac world with a 15.4 Mac Book Pro to use with my Mbox.

I'm a little apprehensive having been a mainly PC person so far but I really like the idea of learning more about the platform that most of the studios w/ProTools tend to use....around these parts at least.

4. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Hey Gary!! Sounds like a great LE rig. Still hoping I can swing by your side of the pond and see it for myself sometime.

Good to see you here.

5. GaryNattrass

GaryNattrass Member

I was the same and have been PC for a lot of years. I have had the macbook pro 17 inch screen for three weeks now and I will never go back to PC.

It is SO easy to use and the software is just really well though out and the speed is stunning.

6. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

Thanks for that!

The only remaining doubt re the Macbook Pro is the ability to expand to a 002 rack. I'd like to do this next year but the 15.4" is limited to the one firewire port. I'd need two for a 002 plus an external firewire drive. Some folks have told me that you can run an External firewire drive and a 002 rack in series from the one firewire port is this true?

In every other way the 15.4" with a 7200 rpm internal drive & 2 gig of RAM wiould seem to fit the bill. The 17" is a bit big for the travelling I have planned.