Hello from JohnnyD

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by tonehead, Feb 15, 2008.

1. tonehead

tonehead Member

Hello everyone, this is JohnnyD, once named "Tonehead" by a fellow guitarist amused with my quest for perfect tone (the name stuck at the music store where I then was giving guitar lessons). Love to play the blues, with a little jazz mixed in for good measure. I play (pretty much in this order) a sweet, one-in-a-million and much traveled all original early 1960's Fender Stratocaster, a head-cutting Highway One Fender Telecaster, a screamin' and slashin' Gibson SG 1961 classic reissue, a deep-throaty Gibson Les Paul Standard, a toneful Epiphone Alleykat (with flat wound strings, doing double duty, D tuning for slide tone like Elmore James and standard tuning for jazz), and a wide array of fine acouistic instruments including a couple of Martins. My tube amps include four well-tweaked BF Fenders (Super, Vibrolux, Deluxe, Princeton, all Reverb), one SF (Princeton Reverb), a Kendrick Gig Rig, and a Mesa Boogie Mark III. I have several pedals, some vintage, but use almost none of them except occassionally a Maxon AD80 for a little delay or a Vox wah-wah for a little attitude.

I listen to and play the music of all the great blues masters: Son House, Robert Johnson, Robert Lockwood Jr, Elmore James, Muddy Waters, Lightning Hopkins, Sonny Boy Williamson, T Bone Walker, Howlin Wolf, Jimmy Reed, BB King, Earl Hooker, Albert King, Freddie King, Albert Collins (whoa), Gatemouth Brown, Buddy Guy, Stevie Ray Vaughn; also dig the jazzier side of the blues, i.e., Ronnie Earl and Duke Robillard, and the great classic jazz guitarists, Django Reinhardt and Wes Montgomery. And of course the beautiful out-of-this-world creations of Jimi Hendrix and Jeff Beck, along with early early Clapton (1965-68) and tone/slide master Duane Allman. Throw in Mark Knopfler for good measure, especially the clean sparkling tone and tasteful licks of the original Sultans of Swing. So much good music, so many great players to draw from. More recently, Joe Bonomassa plays "that thang" pretty well, especially for a young guy.

So this hello is sent out to everyone out there who loves these types of guitars and amps, and the music produced by these legends. I know there is much more, but you sort of get the idea.

JohnnyD

2. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

Welcome Johnny ! Enjoy one of the nicest gear forums on the net!

3. Pa'ani

Pa'ani Supporting Member

Hello JohnnyD,

Welcome to The Gear Page!

4. tonehead

tonehead Member

Hey, thanks for the welcome! This is a cool way to correspond with others of similar interests. Guitars, amps, speakers, tubes, tone, good music and the like. Good to interact with those who understand this space.

5. Ken I

Ken I Silver Supporting Member

Welcome aboard Johnny!

6. DGDGBD

DGDGBD Member

7. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Welcome to The Gear Page!