• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Hello From Long Island

Radspin

Hi Everybody,

I'm from East Northport, Long Island, been reading TGP for a while and decided it's time to actively participate. I've been posting on TDPRI for over a year and also on the Grosh Guitars forum (I recently bought a beautiful Grosh ElectraJet Standard, a fantastic guitar). I've been playing guitar, occasionally professionally, for more than 40 years and find something new about it every day.

Radspin

Hi Everyone,

I figured there'd be a number of Long Islanders here. My real name is Frank Doris. ("Radspin" is a play on my favorite author's last name--Norman Spinrad--although if I want to start a career as a DJ it's probably a good handle.) I've been playing for almost 41 years. I'm sure many of us have a number of good stories to tell about the LI music scene both today and back in the day (Among other bands, I used to play in a New Wave band in the late '70s and early '80s and those were interesting times in the clubs, to say the least.

Frankenstrat2

Welcome to the Forum.
Long Beach checking in.
I drive out to Patchogue most Sundays to play with my buddies.
Plenty of great players out in Suffolk

Ken I

Silver Supporting Member
Welcome aboard! Spent my first 50 years in Deer Park before retiring to South Carolina a few years ago.

Lespaulsignature 74

Gold Supporting Member
Welcome from one Long Islander to another....I grew up in OZ Park, Queens but I have been living in Valley Stream for the past 9 years. What was the name of your band? We might have crossed paths, I was playing in a top 40/party band during the early to mid 80's. We were "The Minx".

Lespaulsignature 74

Gold Supporting Member
Welcome to the Forum.
Long Beach checking in.
I drive out to Patchogue most Sundays to play with my buddies.
Plenty of great players out in Suffolk
Hey Frankenstrat...I used to play with a band in Long Beach a few years ago...They were Real Hot Lanta, we played on New York Beach.

Adwex

Welcome, 'nuther Long Islander here. Grew up in Kings Park, lived in Commack, Huntington, Lake Grove, and Holbrook.

Radspin

Hi everyone. in answer to some questions--the band I was in was called The Lines. We did originals and new wave stuff like Elvis Costello, the Talking Heads, Television and so on. A few claims to fame--we warmed up for Duran Duran on their first-ever U.S. gig, at a place called Spit in Levittown. We had Madonna's first band, the Millionaires, warm up for us! We also played on the bill with the Jam, the Ramones (Joey Ramone was a really nice guy and gave us a lot of encouragement--he passed away much too soon), the Bush Tetras, the Go Gos, Our Daughters Wedding, Defunkt and others. Those were fun times, if a little crazy.

I've been in other bands but none that achieved that much notoriety. These days I play about four gigs a year with a band called Assisted Living--we do '60s and '70s rock. In fact, I'd like to find another band to play with at this point.

My amps are:

--'65 Princeton Reverb (original)
--'64 Bandmaster
--'68 Ampeg Reverbojet
--circa late '60s Dual Showman Reverb head with a funky old Univox bottom
--Vox DA-5 (a great little practice amp)
--a couple of other garage sale amps

onemind

I remember Spit, we used to dress everyone to party there, my wife and I had a store in Valley Stream called "Futuri."

Trending Topics