Hello from OK!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Failsafe306, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Failsafe306

Failsafe306 Member

Hello everyone. I have been a lurker on TGP for some time and have decided it was time to join in on all of the fun.

I used to play in a hard rock/metal band called Failsafe back in the 00’s. We started out playing Ibanez 7’s and doing the rap/rock thing back in late ‘99. We evolved to more melodic metalcore type music around ‘03 and started playing 6 strings tuned to dropped C. I had a pretty sweet Mesa two channel Dual Rec rig with a Mesa 4x12 cab and all of my pedals were controlled by a GCX switcher with a Ground Control foot switch.

Anyway, we all eventually went our separate ways towards the end of the decade, and sadly, I have been a bedroom player ever since :cry:

Late last year, I got the itch to do something I’ve always wanted to do- build a guitar from scratch. I’ve always been pretty mechanically minded and always performed my own maintenance on my guitars, so I said, “Why not?”

I started by reading as many build threads as I could, both here and on MLP, SSO, and TDPRI, as well as watching YouTube vids from established luthiers. I was on a Hetfield kick at the time, so I decided that I was going to build an explorer based on the now discontinued and ridiculously expensive ESP MX-220. It has taken over a year, but I am now up to the finishing stage, and will be posting my build thread pretty soon. Just waiting on my new air compressor and spray gun for Christmas (from the wife) and I will get started spraying.

Okay enough rambling! Just wanted to say :wave and :beer

Chris

Nickstrtcstr likes this.
  2. archtopjazz

archtopjazz Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Hi Chris,

Welcome to TGP.

Jim

3. Failsafe306

Failsafe306 Member

4. RodTruss

RodTruss Member

Welcome!
    I learned a ton from the same resources as you and I have successfully built 8 guitars. I really love it!
    I have a similar story musically. Same genre minus the 7 string. Been a bedroom player for years now BUT I just got back out there! I've been rehearsing weekly with a new band. Feels great to be collaborating with other musicians again. I also like packing up all the nice gear I have, I can justify having hard cases for everything.
    Welcome and good luck with the build! And if you get the itch, get back out there and jam!

5. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

6. Failsafe306

Failsafe306 Member

I would love to get back out there, it’s just that my family and work keeps me so busy, I don’t know when I would ever find the time right now. Eventually I will though!

7. Failsafe306

Failsafe306 Member

Thank you, Scott.

Scott Peterson likes this.
  8. Nickstrtcstr

Nickstrtcstr Lactose Intolerant Guitar Slinger

Welcome to TGP!

New guy gets the donuts!

Failsafe306 likes this.
  9. OddJobb

OddJobb Member

Welcome FailSafe!! where you been?? Merry Christmas!!