Hello from the Fraser Valley

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by EPOCH6, Apr 10, 2015.

1. EPOCH6

EPOCH6 Member

Hey fellas,

Guitarist of 10 years from lower mainland British Columbia, Canada. Recent Fender / MESA convert after many years of pointy Jacksons, Deans, ESPs, BC Richs, and budget Peavey / Line 6 rigs. Had a falling out with guitar in 2013 brought on by university / career searching but have recently relapsed back into the game with a clear head and a much more genuine dedication to exploring the instrument. Also in the early stages of learning to play banjo, which is far more difficult than I anticipated, but still a lot of fun. Looking forward to posting, this community seems far more active than others I've tried to participate in.

2. DBBlues

DBBlues Formerly fullertone Silver Supporting Member

Welcome! Has the guitar and amp change been accompanied by a change in the genre of music that you play?

3. EPOCH6

EPOCH6 Member

I was initially trained primarily as a blues guitarist and that has always been the most prominent style in my playing, whether I'm writing metal or something else, and it's still my favorite style to play, but I have been trying to branch out lately into country and jazz styles. With the band I'm still writing / gigging bluesy metal styles only. Looking forward to dragging my metal buddies into other styles with me, they're all finding metal a bit stale these days too and seem eager for a change.

4. DBBlues

Cool! Is bluesy metal blues with a metal sort of sound, or metal with a 12 bar core, or something else? I don't know much about metal at all (I'm a blues dude) but I'm intrigued to maybe find a subgenre I've never explored.

5. EPOCH6

EPOCH6 Member

Well rock music of course grew out of blues and metal grew out of rock music so they certainly share a common ancestor and you can still hear tons of blues in a lot of metal. Some of the greatest proto-metal songs (songs that are now seen as the birth of the "metal" sound) were built upon 12 bars. Zeppelin's "Whole Lotta Love" was a re-working of a blues classic called "You Need Love" often performed by Muddy Waters and others, Zeppelin's "The Lemon Song" was a re-working of a Howlin' Wolf tune, Zeppelin's "Rock And Roll" is a 12 bar (but barely metal).

That being said, most of the blues you hear in metal today is only heard in lead guitar and solo structure, especially in the more southern subgenres like doom metal and stoner metal, most solos in these tunes could be directly copied into blues standards if you dialed back the distortion a bit. I think you'd find that a huge percentage of metal guitarists write all of their solos upon improvising with blues pentatonics.

6. DBBlues

Everything that you wrote makes lots of sense. I never got into metal, my fandom sort of stopped at punk/new wave, and since I've become a guitar player, it has been almost exclusively about the blues.

Do you know of a metal song in which you can hear something that feels bluesy?

7. EPOCH6

EPOCH6 Member

For sure.

While listening to something like this try and look past the thick distortion, dial the tone back in your head and just listen to the structure, try and imagine the same tune played by a delta blues musician, it's not that hard to hear. A whole lot of rock music just takes part of a 12 bar and repeats it in bars of 4, add riffs that are entirely based on blues scales, a solo in minor pentatonics, and ever piece of your metal song stems from blues roots.

I'd certainly post more but it's 5 PM and I gotta split, slow day and my shifts over.

8. whackystrings

whackystrings Member

I'm a valley kid myself. Grew up in Surrey, and have lived and worked all over the FV incl Langley, Abbotsford, a bit in the 'Wack, now living in Vancouver.
    Welcome aboard.

9. M138

M138 100% Fenriz Approved

Greetings /|\

10. DBBlues

I completely hear the blues in most of rock, I've played AC/DC Delta style, but with my limited to exposure to metal, I didn't hear the blues roots in it. I totally hear it in this song, and yeah, that song could be delta-ized for sure. In fact, the effects used on the rhythm guitar make it sound a little like slide. Thanks!

11. archtopjazz

archtopjazz Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Hi,

Welcome to TGP.

Jim

12. EPOCH6

EPOCH6 Member

Right on, I live in Surrey and work in Langley right now, born and raised in Chilliwack and still spend every weekend there. I bet we've been to a lot of the same concerts.

13. Ken I

Ken I Silver Supporting Member

Welcome aboard!

14. samdjr74

samdjr74 Supporting Member

15. Pa'ani

Pa'ani Supporting Member

Greetings,

Welcome to The Gear Page!