Hello from the science experiment!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Guitar Slinger6, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Guitar Slinger6

Guitar Slinger6 Member

Hello,
    Let me give you a little of my back ground so you know where I am comming from. Started playing at a young age. Was on the road full time by the age of 21. Played usually 6 nights a week with three rehersals a week and constantly noodling on the guitar in a hotel room. Played everything from top 40, funk, blues, rock, hard rock and country. Inone really took off. I spent over a year in a studio was totally immersed in the guitar.I was in a couple of original bands and projects though none really took off. I spent a couple of years, as often as it was open working on originals. Same studio the Kentucky Headhunters did their demo work in (our drummrd owned the studio). Then at the age of 28 I quit. I don't mean professionally. My last two amps and one last guitar went into the closet and stayed there unplayed for over 11 years. I have not played, talked, read, or been involved in any way for that period. Total disconnect. I became totally involved with my new carrer and went full tilt on it totally dismissing and even regretting the lost time. However some things happened in my life that brought me back to my roots and I picked up the guitar again. But I feel like Austin Powers that I am totally out of touch. A lot has happened since I started playing again. The first thing I did was but a new guitar. And the realized I liked my old strat better. Then I decided to buy a pre CBS strat and found out they had went up a little in price. The amp that I had been using all those years that other guitarist said ended up being a bit of a keeper (68' drip edge Fender Deluxe Reverb). So I still am waking up and youtubing a lot of stuff that I never new existed. I am currently recording at home with my new BR1600. When did this thing come out? Boutique amps and guitars, when did that happen. So I am still trying wake up out of my hibernation. So hello evertbody, it's good to be back.

2. Pa'ani

Pa'ani Supporting Member

Hello Guitar Slinger6,

Welcome to The Gear Page!

3. Dave C

Dave C Gold Supporting Member

Greetings and welcome to TGP.

4. Normster

Normster Member

Well, I guess the good news is that all of your gear became "vintage" while you were hibernating. :)

Similar story here except that I quit for 20 years after doing the folk song thing and took up guitar again trying to fake my way through blues.

5. Guitar Slinger6

Guitar Slinger6 Member

Me and my gear became vintage. I picked up my strat that had been in the closet for 11 years and forgot that I had been using 13-60 something crazy. I had to special order the my preferred string manufacturer did not make a set that I liked. I use to play a really SRV type of texas blues on the 7 1/2" radius neck. Needless to say I now have it set up for the standard 10s.
    Posted my a recording, first one in over 15 years. Give it listen and tell me what you think.

6. Ken I

Ken I Silver Supporting Member

Welcome aboard!

7. theHoss

theHoss Member

I think you will find that many folks here went through the same thing. When my band (my vehicle to being a rock star) broke up, I hung up the guitar for about 5yrs. I put the PRS and the 69 twin reverb in the closet. I was focused on career and other adventures. As life goes on, I came back to the guitar and decided to accomplish goals that were meaningful to me as a solo musician. Things that didn't require a band. Here I am years later even more excited about playing and the great community the surrounds this absolutely incredible world of gear.

Glad to have you back!

8. Guitar Slinger6

Guitar Slinger6 Member

Thanks.

9. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

10. chaz

chaz Member

You can take the boy out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy. Welcome! :)

11. guitarstan

guitarstan Member

I have a similar story, put the guitar down after a relatively successful beginning but just didn't bond with the lifestyle of a musician. Also couldn't make enough money to feel connected. Changed careers, did the consumer thing with great success and now I have time to return to music. Music by itself won't protect you from shark infested waters so in looking back, I did the right thing, in changing careers I learned a few things music didn't teach me.

Peace and welcome back to fantasy land.

12. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Welcome to The Gear Page!