1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

hello! i'm new and need help!! PLEASE!!

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by sweet_vendetta, Jul 22, 2006.

1. sweet_vendetta

sweet_vendetta Member

hello from italy everyone, this is my 1st post. ive reaserched this site and read tons of knowledgable posts, so i figured i'd ask y'all about my problem..
    i own an ampeg vt120 combo which i use through a marshall4X12..it's a monster of power and tone and i'd be 100% happy with it if it wasn't for the fact that after about 5 minutes i'm playing (i let it warm up and everything) the volume starts dying, it makes some real ugly rattling noise, and yeah, the volume just drops. the power tubes are new 6L6, but i know the preamp tubes are kinda microphonic..could it be that? or some elecrtical issue? please , any help would be greatly appreciated...i even took it to a tech who obviously doesn't have a clue, he kept it a week, gave it back "it's fixed now" and after half an hour was doing the same thing...:FM
    thank you

2. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Difficult to tell, but I would guess either a faulty tube (actually slightly less likely I think), a bad tube socket contact, a bad solder joint or a failing resistor in the power supply.

If the tech hasn't bench-tested it at high power for enough time or subjected it to vibration while doing so, it's possible he could have missed this sort of fault - which is not to excuse him completely, but sometimes these can be difficult to track down. I get my fair share of 'returns' with this kind of repairs too, usually after I think I've found some minor problem which might have been the cause but later turns out not to be. I do make absolutely certain they're fixed the second time though, no matter how much work it is. I'd give him the chance at this stage. He should do it for free (IMO) unless it turns out to be a really major component issue that he didn't spot before.

3. sweet_vendetta

sweet_vendetta Member

hey thanks very much. i'll bring it in again then.

4. BramhallFan

BramhallFan Member

hey sweet i wouldnt bring it back to the same tech he may just do the same thing. what area are you near?

5. sweet_vendetta

sweet_vendetta Member

hmm..bologna, italy

can you reccomend me anyone? :)

well, since he'll have a look at it for free i'll give him one more chance. just one though.:NUTS

6. ldizzle

ldizzle Supporting Member

I had one of these a long time ago...my tech said it was the channel switching mod on the board. cool amp. some lil kid has it now.