Hello, new to the forum(Echopark Guitar in da house)

Fonz13

Hi,
This is my first post. I have been lurking in the corners for a while now learning, laughing and sometimes drooling at the posts of various forum members. I thought it was the time to post my own! My most recent beauty, an awe inspiring Echopark Downtowner Koa, built by the master Gabriel Currie. Gabriel was great throughout the entire process and when I recover financially, he will hear from me again. It has a mahogany body (in ubercool '55 gold finish)with a set koa neck that has a fairly long tenon. The neck has an amazing feeling back profile that has to be played to be believed. It goes from a slight v to a d gradually and feels like a vintage Junior/Les Paul, hefty but not out of control. I went with stainless steel frets, even though Gabriel suggested otherwise and I have to say, I am not going back to regular nickel, it feels like a dream. The neck pickup is an Arcane '63 Firebird and an Amalfitano p90 in the bridge. The sounds? It sounds like 70's Keith Richards, George Harrison an Jimmy Page. As soon as I figure out how to post pics I will. Anyway, if there's any other Echopark owners I would love to hear from you. And pics of course!

Fonz13

It does, thanks man! It also marks the first guitar with a Gibson style scale that I find comfortable. As much as I LOVE the tone of a Les Paul, for some reason when I play it it just doesn't feel natural. I don't know if it was string gauge, the frets, something or the other until now. I think the winning combo is medium jumbo frets and 0.11 strings. the tension is right, string bends work the way they should and that low E chord doesn't sound farty. I'm happy!

Congrats! I have a couple of Gabriel's killer Echopark's being built now. I recommend to contact him now as he is gaining fans everyday

Fonz13

cool man! Supersonic what are you having built? I really wanted a GhettoBird but I guess the G Police came a knockin' so the model might be done for good.

SkatePunk

It does, thanks man! It also marks the first guitar with a Gibson style scale that I find comfortable. As much as I LOVE the tone of a Les Paul, for some reason when I play it it just doesn't feel natural. I don't know if it was string gauge, the frets, something or the other until now. I think the winning combo is medium jumbo frets and 0.11 strings. the tension is right, string bends work the way they should and that low E chord doesn't sound farty. I'm happy!

I couldn't agree more. A major factor to why my El Cabillo Deluxe plays so well is the string tension. I believe the Downtowner uses a similar combination of scale length, headstock pitch, and fret shape/height.

Gabe recommended Dunlop Light/Heavy (.010" to .052") to me. I really dig the strings. They sound good, feel good, and last a reasonably long time. Other manufacturers also have the same set of gauges.

Enjoy!

Lukeling

yep, I have one of the last Ghetto Bird's ( totally decked out) and a 59... The GB is a gift for someone close to me that is very sick and does not have much time. It will than be a reminder to me of that person once they are gone.

It's a bummer that he will not be making them anymore, but I know Gabriel will find something equally cool to take its place.

Dig those Ghetto Birds- why are they not making them anymore?

Fonz13

SkatePunk, you have one hell of a guitar sir! Please contact me if you ever decide to part ways with it.

Fonz13

I got the Medium V to D carve which is still a hefty neck. I find it similar to a '59 Les Paul. I am very happy I went with this option, It plays amazing. Since I already have guitars with regular humbuckers and single coils, the Firebird mini and the P90 are a sonic complement. The firebird feels more like a single coil even when cranked, and that P90 is very aggressive and raw, when I first played it I thought of the Stones, specifically the Some Girls record, also of The White Album and Abbey Road by the Beatles.

Fonz13

Glad to hear it Gabriel, I believe John Suhr recently had a situation with Fender over the Stratocaster body shape and won, so you might be able to use this in your favor as well.

Husky

Glad to hear it Gabriel, I believe John Suhr recently had a situation with Fender over the Stratocaster body shape and won, so you might be able to use this in your favor as well.

Not sure what is meant by this.
However if this has to do with their shapes being very gibson inspired the Fender Body shape application fight wont help him. Gibson has body shapes successfully trademarked, Fender didn't, only headstock. Two separate situations.
If you want to go to battle against an existing trademark you better have a deep wallet ;-)
We went against an application for a trademark and I could have purchased a top of the line smokin BMW for what it cost me personally. I was only 1 of 10 or so companies in the group.
You can copy a PRS shape but not a Gibson. Gibson still has enforced trademarks. The only thing the PRS/Gibson battle accomplished was that the PRS body shape was not confusingly similar to a Gibson shape.
I'd be real careful about your liability and damages they might bring on if you don't obey a C&D
At least that is the way I see it.

Last edited:

big mike

Cathode biased
Platinum Supporting Member
I'm not sure it's worth poking the bear over this one. You got a C&D and are continuing?

Yikes.

JS is absolutely correct. Fender never trademarked bodies....Gibson has, and has defended.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom