HELP...1x12 speaker suggestion for Carmen Ghia head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jtw, Mar 12, 2008.

1. jtw

jtw Member

Ok, my head is absolutely spinning. I've been looking for a new speaker to run with my Ghia head and there are so many options, descriptions, and tonal references out there that I'm getting overwhelmed. I need my GP bretheren to help me out on this one...

Currently I have an Eminence Wizard loaded in a J Design 1x12 open back cabinet. Speaker sounds great, but is incredibly LOUD and a bit too bright for me. Ideally, I'm looking for a 12" speaker that is less efficient and darker than the Wizard. I'd like some more breakup at lower volumes.

Thanks everybody for any suggestions!

2. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Eminence Legend GB12 is one choice - sort of a darker, higher-wattage Greenback.

3. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

i bought a ghia, and needed a cab quick, so i grabbed a new 1x12 Z cab w/ a vintage 30 from mass street and it has a removable middle panel on the back, so you effectively have a closed back, or open back, whenever you like. pretty cool IMO

a little pricey, but sounds great, and looks cool under the lil' ghia!

4. BeauZooka

BeauZooka Member

Eminence Tonespotter: "Very smooth and warm with a fat bottom end and highs that cut through the mix. Warm and thick overtones." 100db as opposed to the 103db of the Wizard.

5. strangec

strangec Supporting Member

I like a Greenback with mine. Its also has less volume than a V30.

6. gregc

gregc Member

I'd recommend something very efficient if you need enough clean headroom to play over a drummer. A Celestion Blue sounds great. In my experience a greenback didn't cut through the band enough without micing. A Mesa Black Shadow was 'better'. YMMV...

Oooops, if you want quieter and less bright, the IS the way to go.