• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

HELP!! "62 tele custom wiring

wlalpaugh

Gold Supporting Member
I have a made in Japan "62 tele custom with 2 wire humbucker in neck position. I followed a wiring schematic for a '''62 custom I got from a fender forum. After following diagram exactly this is what I get---1st position = bridge: 3rd position = neck: middle position = only neck pickup, but sounds a little darker, but no bridge pickup. Can anyone help me out?
Thanks,
Walt

wlalpaugh

Gold Supporting Member
thanks for the help, the diagram I used was the exact one you linked to, itkindaworks. The middle position sounds kind of dark and lower volume.

Mike Fleming

What I mean is, if you unsolder the neck pickup from the switch and ground, what do you hear in the middle position? do you hear the bridge pickup alone? do you hear nothing?

It's hard to diagnose described sounds. And there are a lot of factors that can cause different sounds, so if we can eliminate some things, like problems at the switch, we can maybe get closer to what is going on.

One thing about teles (where the middle position is the two pickups in parallel) is that mismatched pickups may produce very different "middle" sounds than we're used to, due to the pickups presenting dissimilar loads to each other.

Another thing is your neck bucker may be out of phase with your bridge pickup, although that is usually described as "thin" and "nasal", rather than dark. But again it's dependent on the characteristics of the pickups involved. If your neck bucker doesn't have a grounded cover, you can try reversing its leads real quick and see what the middle position sounds like that way.

Like another poster said, I'd check your joints again, and test the switch with each of the pickups removed one at a time, testing all positions.

What are these pickups anyway, what is your humbucker, and what is your bridge pickup?

wlalpaugh

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks for the input Mike. The pickups are the original ones from the 80"s. The bucker has no cover. The switch is a new switchcraft. I will test the mid position after disconnecting the neck pup. I haven't even strung the guitar yet, I made my switch tests by tapping on the pickup poles with a small screwdriver. When in the mid position, the bridge pup is dead, no sound at all from it.
Thanks,
Walt

Mike Fleming

Wait -- I see now. You are not describing the tone as you play the guitar, you are describing what happens when you tap on each pickup? ok i get it.

I tell you what, i'd just go ahead and string up; since it's a tele, you can keep working on the wiring while it's strung up. You will probably get a better sense of what's going on if you play through the pickups while you're testing.

Then triple check all your wiring and soldering from one end to the other. you should find the problem pretty quick.

Mike Fleming

PS I love those 62 reissues. I'm getting rid of one I've played for years but I'm thinking about getting one of the newer black CIJ ones.

wlalpaugh

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks alot Mike. I'll string her up tomorrow and go over everything. I'll let you know how I make out.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom