Help a brotha out- 1x12 Combo w/ Superior Clean Tone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Jujo, Jul 4, 2006.

1. Jujo

Jujo Supporting Member

Hey Peeps-

I'm looking for suggestions on a new small combo. My number one requirement is truly excellent clean tones. I'm talking about being able to play one note on the unwound strings and still have it be full of tone- not just bright high frequencies. The single notes on the unwound strings should still be round and full. I've experienced this type of tone with 2 amps- my Guytron FV (which I'm not using) and a Two Rock Sapphire (sold it). I want that type of clean tone in a small combo.

Requirement 2- Must be very friendly with pedals. I've learned that some amps work better with pedals than others. I'm guessing this has to do with the impedance on the input of the amps- I would love it if someone could explain to me why some amps work better with pedals. I'm convinced that I can get every shade of overdrive and distortion I need from pedals. That's why this is an important factor.

So I want something small that doesn't have to be ear-bleeding before it gets a little hair on the tone. My ideal clean tone is that of Walter Becker and the Steely Dan sound. I know there's compressors and reverb involved with the Steely Dan sound. I have a good compressor and I'm not really concerned with reverb. I do a lot of funk and r&b rhythm playing. I need a fast attack for the funk stuff, not an amp with a sagging tone. I can go for the sag tone when I turn on my OD pedals. I want an amp where I can take it anywhere, sit it on the floor and sit and play by myself and have the tone put a smile on face. Just sit and play clean and hear wonderful lush, round tones complete with overtones and harmonic content, but without the amp being loud as hell and overdriving itself. I've been able to do this sound with the Guytron and the Two Rock Sapphire but they're impractical for gigs. I do want amp that breaks up...I'm not looking for insane clean headroom. But I'll only take the amp to the point of having a little sting when using the bridge PU and digging in. I'm not looking to play big rock chords just using the amp- I'll use pedals for that. But a little hair on the tone is nice for digging in.

I'm a gigging musician. Lugging heads or large amps to gigs doesn't work for me. I want a fantastic amp that delivers marvelous singing, full, round, sustaining clean sounds in a small package. Is that too much to ask?

I know there's tons of knowledge here on TGP. You guys let me know what amp I should research.

Thanks for any advice and for taking the time read this.

J

2. DJLantz444

DJLantz444 Senior Member

Look at some type of Blackface deluxe

Real thing, Allen Accomplice, Fargen Blackbird, Gries 20

Or maybe an AC30 type amp, if that's what you're looking for.

3. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

BRUNO COWTIPPER 22 1/12

BRUNO UG 30 1/12 with verb. (More sag, but still KILLER clean tones)

4. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Something like an Allen Accomplice might work for you, esp if you like BF Fender type tones. Has a MV so you can get a little hair in your tone when you dig in, also has a raw control which swings the voicing more towards tweed with some great overdrive. Takes pedals like a fish to water.

5. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Member

6. hemlock

hemlock Guest

I'll second Tag's Bruno UG 30 suggestion and add

Carr Rambler
    Fender Pro
    Fender Tweed Twin
    Fargen Blackbird

7. steve rowen

steve rowen Member

Missionamps.com'c new Aurora. Over simplified, it's a tweed Super preamp in front of an AC50 power section, but using either 6V6,s or KT66's for about 20 or 35 watts. It has great cabinet design that makes it still sound nice and thick even up on a stand. I don't know if anyone else has noticed how a lot of amp get thin when you put them on a stand to get a little more projection.

8. BarneyFife

BarneyFife Supporting Member

Tone King Meteor II. 20, 30 and 40 watt versions. I have the 40 watter and it has absolutely killer black face cleans, can switch to 20 watts and is fairly light. Great reverb and trem too. It's definitely worth a listen along with the other ones already listed.

9. Fred McMurray

Fred McMurray Member

I thought it would be obvious, dood: Fendah! But if yer looking for complexities and a richer experience, I'd echo the sentiments about the Carr Rambler. The Brunos are pretty swell, too!!

10. lv

lv Supporting Member

Bruno, Allen, Carr, Tone King all make 1x12 combos that do what you are asking. For a thicker tone on unwound strings, Bruno or Carr are at the top of the list.

11. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

All good suggestions. It's gonna be really hard to top a Deluxe Reverb, especially for the dough. If you want to spend mucho dinero, you might prefer the Bruno Cowtipper; it's more refined and will have a tighter low-end (which won't matter if you're using it primarily for cleans--it's only when you start cranking it up that the tighter lows become more important). IMO, the Fargen is your next best bet. I think the Rambler sounds very good but is not a good value.

Is a Cowtipper worth it? You're the only one who can answer that.

12. Jose Luis Garci

Jose Luis Garci Member

Bogner Metropolis 30 with reverb is a very good option ...

13. tacorivers

tacorivers Silver Supporting Member

Silverface Deluxe Reverb or Vibrolux. I'm getting a blackfaced Vibrolux this week, so I'll let you know how it turns out for me.

14. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

john meyers home rig is a 1x12 and is "chimey" ;)

15. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

I was just about to post the Cowtipper. I'm house-sitting for my sis, and I brought mine with me... getting a ton of playtime, and it is MAGNIFICENT! So full, rich, and thick...

16. Ogre

Ogre Member

It's not lightweight(on the wallet or back), but the Bad Cat Trem Cat has the best cleans I have heard in a 1-12 combo. The reverb is a cut above, as well.

17. Mastervolume

Mastervolume Member

I would say that the Heritage Freedom is right up that alley

small light weight with a huge tonal spectrum and a killer verb if you need it.

18. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

Star GainStar 15 . . . . .sweetest, thickest most dense & rich clean tone I've played (and yes I've owned alot of the amps already recommended). All fine amps . . I just feel the Star is a cut above, plus it has a smokin dirty channel too. The cabinet design makes the 1x12 combo sound pretty huge compared to other 1x12 & 2x12's I've owned.

19. Jujo

Jujo Supporting Member

Hey Everbody! Thanks for the good turn out. I really appreciate your suggestions. Keep them coming!! I've been reading about some of the amps suggested. It seems there's some commonality- a few of the amps suggested are loosely (or not so loosely) based on the BF Deluxe. I think that shows that many people are on the same page with regards to the type of sound I described.

What about the Top Hat Club Deluxe? Anyone know if this might meet my requirements? Or are the Bruno and Carr amp a cut above the Top Hat?

Thanks

20. photoguy

photoguy Member

Sounds like you described a Carr Rambler.