HELP: A Few Questions About "Lindy Fralin Blues Special" Pickup

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Jimmy25, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Jimmy25

Jimmy25 Member

I was taking a closer look at the demo of "Seymour Duncan Everything Axe" set. After listening for a while, I agree if I switch them into my strat, my strat won't sound any better and won't sound anything like a strat anymore, and that would be pointless and defeat the purpose of buying a strat in the first place.

After doing more research on other different brands of pickup, I came across Lindy Fralin's pickup. And was thinking of the "Split-Blade Blues Output" set, then a friend of mine who's a guitarist as well (he plays blues) suggested that no matter what hum-bucking pickup will get you no hum but it's just going to suck the sound of a strat. And so he recommended the "Lindy Fralin Blues Special" set. And I'm probably going with his suggestion. My question is:

1) Personally I still don't like the buzzing noise, but I'm going with single coil pickup so I don't lose the sound of a strat. However, I heard there's sth like "shielding" or sth... that could decrease the buzzing of a normal single-coil pickup by a lot? In other words, is there some ways to make a single-coil pickup buzz less?

2) Anyone has experience with "Lindy Fralin Blues Special"? How does it compare to "Fender Texas Special"? I'm looking for More dynamic, more punchy, more output, fatter and fuller solid tone than my current "Fender 57 Reissue Stratocaster Made In Japan Since 1993" 's original pickup. For style of music from playing clean blues, funk, jazz, to rock.

3) I saw on Lindy Fralin's official website, there's an option to add in Base plate and Blender Pot, I don't quite understand what's that for?

4) My guitarist friend said that if I buy the Lindy Fralin blues special, the middle pickup is reverse wound. So no matter how bad the amp is, in 2 & 4 position there won't be a hum. The reverse wound will act like a humbucker pickup, and still sound like a strat? I don't quite understand what's a "reverse wound"...?

BTW. Some of you probably know from my previous thread that I use a Roland Micro Cube Amp at home which is just for practicing and traveling, and I understand with a cube amp I won't be able to tell the difference after changing the pickup. BUT, I do jam with my band mates almost everyday at school where there is Marshall tube amp. So, it does make a difference if I change my pickup.

2. rabbuhl

rabbuhl Member

To make a standard single-coil buzz less you can use a noise gate, install a noise-cancelling pickguard, or get hum-canceling pups.
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/mxr-m-135-smart-gate-pedal/151112000000000
    http://www.fralinpickups.com/bpncs.asp

Suhr is also coming out with a new version of this system.
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1025426

The split-blades and other hum-cancelling pups are humbuckers but in general they sound good without hum. I ended up going with the DiMarzio Areas which are hum-cancelling but I also have a set of Blues Specials in one of my strats.

Texas Specials are Neck Pickup: 6.2K. Middle: 6.5K. Bridge: 6.5-7.1K while Blues Special are Neck 6.2K, Middle 6.2K, and 7.2K so they are pretty close in output. You might want to consider the Fralin Vintage Hots since that will give you a good clean sound for jazz. The Blues Specials are only slighter hotter than the Vintage hots.

A bass plate adds a little more bass to the bridge pickup. A blender pot mixes the neck and bridge pickup with affecting the five-way switch.

When the middle pickup is reverse wound it is hum canceling in position 2 and 4.

There are so many great choices for strat pups. You might buy a few sets before you find the ones you really like. Buying loaded pickguard can making swapping output pickup sets easier.

3. gulliver

gulliver Member

They're great pickups, big and grunty, very SRV. I played through them in a corner bar jam through a terrible solid state amp, and they still reacted to my digging in, not many pickups can save a bad amp.

I didn't like them in a light weight guitar, they weren't responsive for some reason. I think they're way better than the Texas Specials, but I still use one in the middle position of that light weight strat.

If you're playing on the clean side, which these pickups are best for, you don't have to worry about the hum as much, not a big deal.

You might also try the SP42 in the bridge for even more girth.