Help a fuzz noob out

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Philywilly33, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Philywilly33

Philywilly33 Member

Hey guys i just sold my distortion pedal on the flea bay for 350$ and I've never tried a fuzz before and i thought it would be pretty sweet. I'm looking for something that sounds sweet with hum buckers. Right now I'm thinking maybe Bonamassa fuzz face or maybe some kind of full tone fuzz but those r just some ideas. What should i get and why?

2. Philywilly33

Philywilly33 Member

Also i play through a dirty marshall so it would drive that.

3. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

Basic Audio Scarab Deluxe. You want something that is very versatile. With so many types of fuzz out there, something that is tweakable is a good way to start. The Scarab cat get you from OD-distortion-heavy fuzz. There is a bias and a fat knob that can give you many tonal possibilities. PM me if interested.

4. pdodge77

pdodge77 Supporting Member

5. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

Tonebender, MKII type into a dirty Marshall has always been a good thing. There are many out there, but the Throbak Stonebender is nice and can be had relatively cheap used.

6. Chandyland

Chandyland Member

What kind of music do you like to play? If you want one to sound "sweet," I would go with the Skreddy Lunar Module Mini Deluxe. If you want nasty, I actually went with the Earthquaker Devices Dirt Transmitter. I also plan to get a Hoof soon, which is a bit smoother. Death by Audio makes some crazy stuff, too. Of course, there's always a standard Fuzz Face, but for that sound, people always give the Analogman Sun Face high marks.

It all depends on what you want to play.

7. Zounds Perspex

Zounds Perspex Supporting Member

with a Marshall and 'buckers, have you investigated the world of treble boosters?
    I've found them to work much better with that kind of set-up,
    and dudes like Tony Iommi and Marc Bolan would swear by 'em.
    Lots of options out there in this direction.

If you're determined to try a fuzz, lots of folks swear by the Analogman Astrotone or Keeley Fuzz Head for this kind of setup.

Mark Ronson-types tones are attainable with a MKI Tone Bender (and a cocked wah helps.)

but really - treble booster. I love my Creepy Fingers Sugar Boost.

8. stratguy23

stratguy23 Member

I second this... Great fuzz.

9. guitargod2u

guitargod2u Member

muff flavor imo = musket
    fuzz face = silicon go sunface,hendrix fuzz face or fulltone 70,germanium go sunface,fulltone 69, or joe bonamasa fuzz face.
    tone bender = basic audio scarabe deluxe
    crazy fuzz = try for starters fuzz factory,something on fuzzhugger.com,anything by devi

10. Philywilly33

Philywilly33 Member

I really like the Joe bonamassa tone and eric Johnsons too. and those two use fuzz faces, for fuzz i would probably want like a warm tone that is huge.

11. guitargod2u

guitargod2u Member

pick up joe bonamasa fuzz face off ebay and a way huge pork loin then thats what joe uses pork loin is kinda a klon killer too

12. Philywilly33

Philywilly33 Member

throbak stone bender also sounds good too tho hmmmmm....

13. scolfax

scolfax Member

I have the Bonamassa fuzz and love it. Great with my single-coil and humbucker guitars.

14. Philywilly33

Philywilly33 Member

Right now it seems like I'm torn between the Bonamassa fuzz face and the Throbak stone bender. They are both germanium but what makes them different?

15. Philywilly33

Philywilly33 Member

16. stopreferencing

stopreferencing Member

Fuzz Faces are woolier in the low end and clean up better than most MkII Tonebenders. sTonebender's got a Page vibe, IMO. If you want "warm and huge," I'd go for a Fuzz Face; Analogman makes the best I've heard.

17. Philywilly33

Philywilly33 Member

Im guessing your talking about the sun face. It confuses me because there are so many different options like the sun knob and different transistors any help on that?

18. Marrrty

Marrrty Member

If you want warm and huge and a Sunface you need to get a Germanium one IMO. And the sundial in a must have. I have a red dot NKT275 w/ sundial and on off. And love it. The TI/UK seems to be pretty popular too. If you want to buy second hand I believe the white dot nkt275's are ace.

19. corbs

corbs Supporting Member

Different circuits.

Fuzz Face is a 2 transistor fuzz, sTone bender is a 3 transistor fuzz (Tonebender MKII). Tonebenders don't clean up like fuzz face circuits, but the 1.5 comes very close. I never played the Bonamassa, but I have several FF (favorite being the Analogman Ti/Uk). The sTone bender is very versatile for a tonebender (which are usually 2 knob fuzz boxes, maybe a bias added) and work well with buckers due to the pre-gain switch.

I imagine you would like either one, you just need to figure out what sound you want. Tonebenders have more gain and seem to cut through a mix better. Fuzz face's clean up better for that killer rhythm sound.

Just to muck things up, you might want to look at a Tonebender MK 1.5 circuit (between a FF and a Tonebender MKII), or an Analogman Astrotone which is a fuzz circuit designed with humbuckers in mind. I'm lucky to have all of the above (less the bonamassa), so feel free to ask questions.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  20. Philywilly33

Philywilly33 Member

So what does the sundial do? And what would be the difference between red dot nk275's, white dot nk275's and the TI/UK?