Help a newbie?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by JackButler, Mar 14, 2006.

1. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

Jump in with some help here fellas...
    I alwyas just used a nic eold Marantz cassette 4-track for my basic home recordings. So this is mostly where my knowledge lies:rolleyes:
    So, awhile back I boguth a Digitech GNX4 for recording, nice all in one package, but man it is just a hassle, so off it will go.
    All I want is a simple recorder to lay down some drum tracks with a simple drum machine (suggestions here too please) and then throw on the bass, guitar, etc. nothing pro, just to mess with ideas and be able to burn a CD to amuse my pals and mostly be bale to post short clips.
    The GNX had Pro Tracks and man, I was totally confused. I knwo there's a learning curve, but I just don't have the time or willingness to figure it out.
    So, I am looking at a unit liek the Tascam DP01fx/cd, everything basically in one (less the drums) unti. I can record, mix, and burn right there and be done, or dump onto computer, is the way I was told by the store where I looked at it.
    However, I know its all going to computers. Woudl I be better off with soemthing like a M Audio Mobile PRe USB and some really simple software? Is there a very basic, plug in and go software without all the extras? Cubase LE was suggested. Another thing to note is, all I have is an old laptop that had the bare essentials to run the PTP plus I have, and a new computer won;t be on my list.
    So,go with the Tascam or similar?
    Please jump in here with any and all suggestions or product suggestions, I am clueless...
    Thanks for the help,
    S

2. Stevo57

Stevo57 Supporting Member

3. JackButler

Thanks! I will look into it!
    It's hard evolving!

4. mavrick10_2000

mavrick10_2000 Member

+1 on Tweakheadz.

Yeah I know what you mean about the GNX 4. I have the 3. At least you have the capability to use bigger mem cards with the GNX 4 and a few more drum options than I did. ;)

How up to date is your PC? Get a decent quality interface, (Firewire or USB 2.0) is the first place I'd start unless your PC performance factor is low and you need to do some upgrading.

5. JackButler

That is one problem, I only have an old laptop to work off of, thus I think an actual recorder would be the route for me.

6. MK50H

MK50H Member

Well, I guess everyone has there own preference, but for me I'd still go down the PC route. I reckon you could find some apps that'd do what you want on a slower PC.

It seems like it its effects (reverb apparently uses lots of resources), and soft synths, and of course lots of tracks that need the processing power. You don't seem to want to do this kind of thing, so I'd still look at the PC.

I think that there is a learning curve with any method you choose, but I really dislike dedicated hardware! At least the PC route has a something of a common look and feel, will be extensible, and probably cheaper too. I seem to remember you can get free sequencing software.

Of course the PC route aint perfect, I accept that sequencers are still pretty unique in there operation & layout. Nonetheless that's the way I'd go.

Ah, here is the free software http://www.kreatives.org/kristal/

7. JackButler

I kI knew everyone would say go PC! Is there anyone "pro" a regular recorder?
    Ypu know how it is, gotta talk yourself into things!
    Thanks so much!