Help a Strat guy get a humbucker guitar?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by KeithC, Aug 30, 2006.

1. KeithC

KeithC Silver Supporting Member

I have a few Strats and love them. But, I want to get back into a HB'r guitar.
    I played Les Pauls in the late 70's into the early 80's and would kill to have any one of them back. But,thats not going to happen.

I'm not going to spend a bundle on a high end Les Paul. I see the Studio's and some that are "faded" or Musician's Friend has a special one that is pretty reasonable.
    But, I keep reading about the poor quality of the newer Gibby's.
    I never had one problem with any of the Les Paul's back in the day.

So, what about those lesser Les Pauls that MF sells?
    Or how about the PRS SE line? I know it is not US made but what is the take on the quality etc?

I thought the new Hagstrom Swede's looked pretty cool too but have read some not so glowing reports.

I basically want a single cut Les Paul "like" guitar.

I can't try anything out around here as the shops just don't have them.

I'm open to suggestions on other brands too.

The top end of where I'm going on price would be about what the new LP Studio's are which is I believe about $1200.

That's why the PRS SE's look good!

Thanks,

Keith

2. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

Buy a Les Paul. I have not had any problems with LP quality. I had a new Classic built in 2000 it was a great guitar. I sold it to finance my CU22, but it was a great guitar. I think the Gibson quality thing got better after 1998.

3. straightblues

straightblues Member

Buy a Hamer Monaco. Either the Elite or Super Pro models. It has the Fender scale length and the Les Paul ammenities. You will love it. Buy one used and you will be in that range. The quality and tone are outstanding.

If you can get into a double cut shape, the Hamer Studio will do the Les Paul tones and will be cheaper. The Studio is the standard Gibson scale length.

4. songsmith1950

songsmith1950 Member

The Gibson Faded Mahogany Les Paul is a winner. It has the Burstbucker Pro pickups and the neck is as good as any. Tone, sustain and everything are right on the money.

My opinion of course but having played and owned many guitar since 63 I would have to rate this guitar as a keeper.

Tom

5. straightblues

straightblues Member

If you want to go cheap, check out the Agiles at www.rondomusic.net They are comprable or better than the PRS SE or the Ephiphone Les Pauls and are cheaper.

6. michaelprice83

michaelprice83 Member

+1 for faded mahagony. very nice guitar. and the Les Paul sound is the definition of hard rock, a sound you won't get from a PRS or anything that isn't designed like a Les Paul.

7. Doodad

Doodad Member

Or get a 72 Tele deluxe RI. Has a strat body and neck with single cut and humbuckers. They are not expensive which is good as you will want to change out the pups and/or the pots.

8. Hard2Hear

Hard2Hear Member

You can get a used PRS CE22 for pretty decent jack if you look. Thats the guitar that made this "Strat only" player move over to the dark side and eventually become a Les Paul fan, too.

9. KeithC

Thanks for all the ideas. I would really like to get a Les Paul of some sort again but some of the things I have been reading worried me.
    I'll check out the suggestions.

Thanks!

10. drolling

drolling Member

Keith, I'm in the same boat - hadn't touched a Lester in 25 years, but the TV Jones F'Trons in my new Gretsch are like a gateway drug back to the thick'n greasy grind of a PAF.

Nothing wrong w/the new Les Pauls, but it's not the type of guitar I'd feel comfortable buying online, so I'm looking around locally.

In the meantime, after playing dozens of Epis (they are very inconsistent) I found a cheap used one that actually feels pretty good to hold me over awhile..

11. tfunster

tfunster Gold Supporting Member

+1 for the faded Mahagony

12. Luke V

Luke V Member

335 is a natural for a Strat guy. It has buckers but is brighter than a Paul. A happy medium for me .

Been playing Strats for 33 years, 335s for 31 years. I've always had at least one of each.

Trust me on this one. Get a 335.

13. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

I think the mahogany ones will miss the boat. I like the maple tops on the LPs. Just gives it the tighter bottom and a little spank up top.

14. KeithC

I'd love to have 335 too!
    I should say I do like Les Pauls and always have but I just don't want to spend the big bucks to get a top of the line one.

I may look into one of the faded ones. I can alway send it back I guess.

But, some day a 335 will be in my possession too...I hope!

15. gassyndrome

gassyndrome Member

Dont believe the hype on the Gibson quality - get one in your hands. If you like it, buy it. If you dont, move on.

16. pep

pep Member

I agree to some extent that Gibson quality has gone down recently but they still put out some great instruments. It is more the consistency from one to another that has been the most notable IMHO. Play a bunch and you will find one that speaks to you. Also agree that used Hamers are awsome guitars and cost a whole lot less.

17. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member

Aria Pro II from Japan, older 80's version, set neck 335 copy. Put in better pickups and they are awesome for about $350. Also the pre-Fender Guild Bluesbird, just like a paul but chambered body, no back problems. Had a goldtop that was a monster, but also nice and clean.

18. Sarg_29

Sarg_29 Member

+++++1

19. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

+1 I have a Historic 57 Les Paul and have since purchased a Hamer Newport and a Monoco...now, my Les Paul sits in the case. The Hamer's are built much better and they have the same scale length as the Fender. You can get a used one for $1200 easily, you just have to shop around a bit on ebay.

20. VanStone

VanStone Member

Check out a Japanese Edwards Les Paul. Fantastic guitars for the $$$.

V