Help A Tone Starved Newbie

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by I.IV.V, Feb 6, 2008.

1. I.IV.V

I.IV.V Member

I really need help picking an amplifier. I have played a lot of amps in a lot of different places, and have decided that I do not know enough, and am not good enough, to make an educated decision.

Some general guidelines:

1. I don't want to blow a bunch of $$$ without good reason, but can handle spending whatever it takes to get it done.

2. I have some small amps with modeling presets at home, and don't mind using pedals, attenuators, etc. in addition to the amp if need be.

3. I am looking for something (hopefully it exists) that can give me the kind of tone I need to play both Texas style blues and classic hard rock, if I can get decent sounding heavier metal tone that would be a plus.

4. It will mostly be used at home, but I would like to be able to gig with it as well. Head/cab or combo doesn't matter to me.

5. It won't be the last amp forever but I want something good enough to grow with.

I have probably read too much on the internet for my own good, and am really stuck, and in advance would be very appreciative of any opinions.

If it matters, I play a JV Stratocaster (with 12s) and one of the new Taylor Solidbody electrics mostly.

Mucho Gusto

2. mcgriff420

mcgriff420 Member

Welcome to the board!

Dr.Z amps take pedals very well, I'd look into a Galaxie, -two channels tweedy and jcm800.

Maybe a badger?

There are so many choices out there.

3. RDM

RDM Senior Member

Fender Bassman LTD. End of story.

4. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Supporting Member

vox valvtronix 30 combo or get the head and a 2x12 or 4x12.

5. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Supporting Member

Take a look at the Budda superdrive amps.

The Dr. Z amps really do take pedals well. The Z28, Rt66, and KT 45 sounds really great with the right pedal infront.

6. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

a vintage bf fender could be an excellent choice....

7. rob2001

rob2001 Member

I find a JCM 800 combo to be very versitile but it's not "on demand" versitility. With a strat it will do great blues, with hot humbuckers it will do classic/heavy rock and with hums and a boost it will do metal. It's just not changeable with the stomp of a switch. It's a pretty tall order for any amp to do great cleans/crunchy rhythyms and stellar overdriven tones too. I'd add that running a 2x12 or 4x12 cab can bring out different tones with any combo amp. There are channel switching 800's but IMO, they fall a bit short of the single channel, 2 input models.

For what it's worth, there are some great drive pedals out these days so finding a good amp with great cleans and using a pedal/pedals for dirt tones is a viable option for a lot of players.

8. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

I'll give you one advice.

Get out of here and practice, forget this place.

You'll be better off.

Take good care

9. I.IV.V

I.IV.V Member

Got a chance at a 92 Bassman, no mods, worth checking out?

10. Eskimo_Joe

Eskimo_Joe Rocker, roller, way out of controller Supporting Member

11. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

"92" Bassman?

The Black and Silverface Bassman,s are an awesome amp, I doubt anyone here will protest that, nice and simplistic, with huge tube tone, yes, worth checking out.

12. I.IV.V

I.IV.V Member

Owner says it's from 1992, looks to be tweed covered though, I guess it's got Groove tubes with the original speakers.

13. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

If you need versatility, get a Rivera. I have 2 boutique amps (Savage Macht 12x, Alpha and Omega David w/pentode triode switch 30/18), a Mesa Single Recto head, and a Rivera Hundred Duo 12. Rivera's cut a number of different styles effectively and sound pretty good in their own right. There are so many choices that it can seem overwhelming. Just get a good, versatile core amp and build around it with various power ratings to cover you if you gig a lot. Don't get too caught up in all of this garbage though 'cause it can ruin your bank account and you get diminishing returns.

14. meterman

meterman Member

sounds like an early tweed Bassman reissue. Friend of mine has gigged one of those heavily and it's held up well for him, I've played it several times and it sounds great. Good choice for your desired tones too....

Best choice IMHO would be an early Marshall-type amp, Heritage Colonial, JTM45 RI, Plexi, something like that. I play a TopHat Emplexador. Great cleans, great low drive blues tones, plenty of gain for hard rock if cranked or hit with a pedal....the Bassman is close enough, I think it would be a good place to start....or if you can find an original BF or SF Bassman head you're really getting there and they can be modded for more gain, etc.

15. SkydogFan81

SkydogFan81 Member

ceriatone to save $$$

divided by 13 on the $$$$$ end

16. DICKIE C

DICKIE C Member

Any good amp can get you what you're looking for. What basic type of tone do you like? American style(Fender, etc), Brit style(Marshall, Vox, Hiwatt)? Determining this, I think, should be your first step. I personally agree w/ the previous poster who suggested an early Marshall-style amp. I got one myself for all the styles of music you mentioned, and am very happy w/ my choice. I use an od pedal to take me to heavy territory. Many people here (including myself!) will give you their personal favorites for recommendations but at the end of the day that won't really help you. The best (and only real way) is to try out many different types of amps and let your own ears decide. Tone is subjective and everybody has a different opinion! I finally realized this after many years of buying the wrong amps! Hope this helps....

17. scottlaned

scottlaned Member

+1 on Dr. Z for your needs.

18. Pedro58

Pedro58 Supporting Member

+1 on the Dr. Z stuff.

Any good tube amp will do what you want. Stay away from solid state stuff like Marshall Valvestate, etc. Modeling is a possibility, but I don't know of any modeling stuff that gigs easily, right out of the box.

A good Marshall is a possibility?

19. jcv

jcv Member

Another vote for the Dr Z Galaxie. Channel 1 can be a killer Texas blues tone IMO and channel 2 is rock n' roll all the way.

Being a bit of a "Z freak", I'd also like to add that all Z amps are known to take pedals very well so any one of them can be very versatile. Awesome quality amps as well.