help a USB recording noob with some Qs.

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Lution, Nov 30, 2005.

1. Lution

Lution Member

Ok, so I've got a Boss BR-8 digital recorder and am thinking of retiring it in favor recording straight to my computer. I have N-track and also Acid that i use for beats and ambience and lately have been using the 1/8" line-in to record keys, guitar, vox, and bass onto Acid.

The Line6 toneport USB devices have intrigued me but I'm not sure how they work. Their pricepoint looks good for me.

Will what I record into the Toneport go in through the USB connection an onto whatever program I'm using as a wav file?

If so, i can bypass my crappy sound card and use a toneport into the USB port to record my instruments?

thanks

Lution, the USB noob. ;)

2. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

interesting question, I just retired my BR-8 and have nothing right now... my computer is not powerful enough to serve as a recorder I think (HP Pavilion desktop IIRC), so I'm looking at maybe a Boss BR-1600 so I can have HD, CD writer, rhythms &c. all in one (my space setup is very poor so recording at the PC would also be a challenge).

I'm interested to hear the answers.

Jon

3. Lution

Lution Member

i hope thats the way the Toneports work. I think it is, but just wanted to make sure before i go that way. I want to not use my soundcard anymore. It sucks tone like no other. :(

4. 2x6L6

2x6L6 Supporting Member

The Tone Port is a soundcard - it just happens to run into your computer through USB. It can be assigned to be your computer's main sound card, or can simply be used as input to your recording software.

It comes with Ableton Live Lite (4) which is perfectly cool recording software. While I am no pro, I haven't had any issues with my P4 2.4 computer with only 512MB RAM. The latency is exceptionally low - no issues whatsoever.

I have recorded real amps through the Tone Port with absolutely no discernable tone coloration (all its tones/processing can be bypassed). I have used the built-in tones (I believe they come from the Pod XT models) and they are excellent. The vocal pres are also good - again, I am no expert, but it seems to work great.

Whatever your favorite recording software is - you just assign the Tone Port as the input - in Ableton Live, I select the ASIO driver, then the Tone Port. Live puts out wav files which you can further edit in other software if you wish. All in all, I think it's a pretty amazing system, especially for the price - I'm a newbie recordist and am having a blast.

5. tone4days

tone4days Member

santa is bringing me a line6 UX2 ... i want to be able to record myself playing guitar over backing tracks ... can i 'import' stereo backing tracks into ableton live lite, record guitar through the UX2 using the line6 models, then mix the whole thing and produce a .wav of the composite with me playing over the backing?

t4d

6. 2x6L6

2x6L6 Supporting Member

Yes, you can do so - so easily it'll make yer head spin! Easily try a million different Line 6 tones as you go. Keep 'em all in separate clips to compare which you like best. Splice, rearrange, layer, etc. if you want. Add any number of effects later (with Live) as needed to your recorded track or the backing track. Mixdown and export to wav. Good clean fun, Santa approved.

7. Douge

Douge Member

Can Ableton Live Lite 4 be upgraded to Live 5 with Tone Port?? And can VST's be used with Tone Port and Ableton to add other instruments like Keyboards,Horns,Strings,Drums,etc.????

8. 2x6L6

2x6L6 Supporting Member

I upgraded to Live 5 immediately - Live Lite 4 is limited to 4 tracks or something. Live 5 is unlimited.... Live supports VST plugins quite nicely - I use BFD and Jamstix for drums.

9. Seditious

Seditious Member

I just ordered Live 5. What do BFD and Jamstix bring to the table? What's a VST? Also where do I get new loops from (if I get bored with the ones in Live 5)?

I will say thanks in advance for helping out a computer recording noobie.

10. 2x6L6

2x6L6 Supporting Member

Well, I am barely qualified to answer, as I am a very rank newb. BFD allows one to build virtual drumkits and create drum loops, tracks, etc. Jamstix is midi drum output software that has the super-cool feature of jamming to your playing, so you don't have to build loops. I am still learning how to use both of them. I have purchased loops from Groove Monkee to sit inside my BFD software. However, I am still finding the drum loops that come with Live to be quite good, pretty tweakable, and when put into clips with follow actions, then processed for killer sound, can be quite effective. Loops are available for cheap/free all over the web. I found some good leads over on the Line 6 Tone Port forum. I only bought add-ons as a form of bizarre neuroses, plus I have an academic discount that I am about to lose... VST is Steinberg's now industry-standard plugin format.

11. Bad Henry

Bad Henry Member

2x6L6-- Have you had any issues with your Toneport? I tried a M-Audio Jamlab, and though I basically liked the unit, I couldn't stand the frequent pops and clicks.

12. 2x6L6

2x6L6 Supporting Member

I've had no issues and think it's a phenomenal product. Line 6 tones record extremely well. I have found that occasionally I will get pops and clicks, which are very rare since I bought more memory for my computer, and are always eliminated (even before the memory upgrade) if I reboot before recording. It usually only happens if my computer's been on a long time without a reboot and I've had many different programs and documents open.

13. Stevo57

Stevo57 Supporting Member

I have a UX1 and really like it. Tone tip. Load the acoustic guitar patch with the tube screamer stomp. I'm starting to get the hang of Live too.
    It's a ton of fun to jam along with and couldn't be simpler to record into. How much is the live 5 upgrade?

14. Douge

Douge Member

I would like to upgrade to Live 5, use Native Instruments N.I. Essentials and XPress Keyboards VST's with UX2 TonePort.
    I'm a guitar player but want to add Keyboards,Synth's,Drums,Bass to tracks and burn to CD's.
    What suggestions for Hardware connections or Midi/Foot Controllers to get all this going smoothly????

15. 2x6L6

2x6L6 Supporting Member

I dunno - I bought the full academic version of Live 5, but I suspect the price is similar - I paid $225 for the academic version. Love that software!

Douge, I haven't used MIDI controllers yet, but eventually want to get a couple foot switches and some other kinda desktop controller gizmo to avoid total mouse use.