• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Help a wiring ignoramus - how to get a pickup to 'see' 500k when pot is 250k

Paul Conway

Hi

Just obtained a zexcoil which I wish to put in the neck of my strat, retaining the s/c's (for now) in the other slots. It has 250k pots. What can I do to enable each pickup to 'see' the right values?

Thanks

The Wiring Idiot

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
thing is, it's the other way around; you use a 500k pot and incorporate a 500k resistor to make the pickup "see" 250k.

with a 250k pot you're stuck.

cardinal

The Suhr diagram makes a 500k pot act like a 250k pot using a 500k resistor in parallel to ground.

To do the opposite, I think you could connect the ground lug of the volume pot to a switch instead of directly to ground. In some positions, the switch would just connect directly to ground. In the other positions, the connection would run through a 250k resistor (in series with ground).

Last edited:

walterw

To do the opposite, I think you could connect the ground lug of the volume pot to a switch instead of directly to ground. In some positions, the switch would just connect directly to ground. In the other positions, the connection would run through a 250k resistor (in series with ground).
nope, 'cause then you'd have a volume knob you could no longer turn down all the way.

cardinal

nope, 'cause then you'd have a volume knob you could no longer turn down all the way.
Oops, you're right. What if you connected the output of the pickup selector switch to this other switch (pass-through or 250k resistor in series) and connected that to the input lug of the volume pot. Then ground the other end of the pot like normal. Wiper to the output jack.

walterw

What if you connected the output of the pickup selector switch to this other switch (pass-through or 250k resistor in series)...
still no good, now you have a 250k resistor in series blocking your pickup signal, which will just about shut it off.

cardinal

still no good, now you have a 250k resistor in series blocking your pickup signal, which will just about shut it off.
oops, also right. The resistor would essentially be between the pickup signal and the wiper as well. Hmph.

Trending Topics