Help: Acceptable 1966 BF Fender Pro Reverb Repairs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mam8dg, Dec 21, 2009.

1. mam8dg

mam8dg Fuzz Addict Supporting Member

Hi everybody,

I won an e-Bay auction for a 1966 Fender Pro Reverb that was mostly original. After I won the auction, the seller contacted me and informed me that the following repairs had to be completed on the amp a couple of days before the auction:

Replaced one GZ34/5AR4 Rectifier Tube
    Replaced one Carling footswitch
    Replaced 12" Original Fender Special Design Speaker with matching speaker. The other speaker was originally replaced per the Ebay description. The speakers are identical and have the same labeling as the original.
    Re-soldered some loose connections
    cleaned noisy pots
    checked all tubes
    checked all caps and resistors

I'd like to know if any of those repairs (generally) effect the character or value of the amp. The seller has given me the option of a full refund since he didn't list the repairs in the item description. I'd appreciate any thoughts/opinions. Thanks.

The e-Bay item page is here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...001451&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_956wt_1167

2. Tinman

Tinman Member

I'm not an amp tech, but with the exception of the speaker change, those are all things that need to be done to any tube amp. I have a Pro Reverb of a similar vintage, and I really don't care for those speakers. The amp you bought looks fantastic. How do you like it?

3. mam8dg

I don't have it yet! I've heard great things about Pro Reverbs, and this one looked pretty great, so I jumped on it. Right now, the seller is holding it and waiting for my answer as to whether I'm ok with the repairs that were done.

I know that people generally want amps with original transformers, but I don't know anything about rectifier tubes, etc...

Thanks for your input!

4. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

I have the original speakers for my 66 in a box. If someday that amp find a new owner they might want them... but I am thrilled having them right there in that box.

5. FlyingVBlues

FlyingVBlues Gold Supporting Member

The fact that one of the speakers isn’t original slightly reduces the value of the amp. All of the repairs are normal maintenance items, and the seller saved you some money since all of the things mentioned would need to be done when you received the amp. The price you are paying for the amp is right in line with current prices for a ’65 to ’67 Pro Reverb. I wouldn’t have hesitated in buying this amp. I have a ’66 Pro Reverb and love it – you bought a great vintage Fender amp that should sound fantastic. I hope you enjoy it.

FVB

6. mam8dg

Great! That's what I wanted to hear...I really want this amp. The speaker replacement doesn't really bother me b/c I'm probably going to end up replacing them anyway (time to search old TGP threads for suggestions!). Thanks for everybody's input.

7. FlyingVBlues

FlyingVBlues Gold Supporting Member

Tomo has 3 Pro Reverb's and has posted a number of clips with the various speakers he has used. That would be a good starting place to look for new speakers.

FVB

8. littlejohn

littlejohn Member

Seems odd to get an email like that after the auction ends?

9. mam8dg

Yeah...I'd be suspicious, except that the seller was totally cool with giving me refund. He basically sent me a list of the repairs and said it was up to me whether I wanted to get the amp or a refund.

He stated that he noticed the speaker was acting up two days before the auction closed, so he took it in. The amp tech ended up performing the repairs mentioned above. From the replies so far, it seems like everything done was pretty standard maintenance...and I really want a BF Pro Reverb.;)

10. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

On an amp that old, it is likely that you will want to replace the power supply filter capacitors. The have a finite lifetime. A 3 prong AC cord would be nice, too.

Amp looks to be in great shape, good score!