• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Help acoustic experts for J-45

chimaera1982

Am looking for help please, just bought this J-45 second hand i tested it before I bought it but dang i missed this one. At the bottom of the guitar there is a distinct line/small crack appearing where the two halves of the guitar meets. Is this a fatal flaw? repairable or is it normal?

Like below:

Rob Sharer

Muso-Luthier
Yee-ouch! That could either be a simple separation of the butt-joint of the sides, in which case no big deal, or a cracked tail block, in which case things are a bit more serious. That needs to be probed by a competent luthier. Don't be tempted to just bang some glue in there yourself.

Meanwhile, everything is fixable, so don't sweat! Good luck,

Rob

p.s. It's almost never option #1, though...

drive-south

Better photos would help. Is the crack going from the top to the back of the guitar or in the opposite direction. There is a seam at the endpin and this could be just lacquer cracking. It also could be a crack caused by dropping the guitar on it's end-pin. This can happen with the guitar in it's case. In any event, take it to a good repairman and have it evaluated.

drive-south

chimaera1982

Well by the sight of it the crack is wider at the end pin and it goes shallower to the sides (towards the binding) of the guitar. This happens on both halves, meaning that the other side of the guitar not taken in the pics there is a crack as well. ARGHH...

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Silver Supporting Member
get a little mirror, stick it in the soundhole, aim it at the endblock. see a crack? trouble. when shipping a guitar, one should always remove the endpin or at least sufficiently cushion it - guitars dropped on their butt always get driven like a stake through the endpin.

Rob Sharer

Muso-Luthier
Well by the sight of it the crack is wider at the end pin and it goes shallower to the sides (towards the binding) of the guitar. This happens on both halves, meaning that the other side of the guitar not taken in the pics there is a crack as well. ARGHH...

Both sides? Sounds like the bock is cracked, all right. Try removing the endpin jack; this should allow you to look down the little 'tunnel' to see how bad things are. The good news is, once properly glued it will be as good as new. Cheers,

Rob

chimaera1982

Sent to a local respected luthier, he is also a fellow TGP member I think. In Singapore there aren't that many luthiers around. He glued it back and fixed it. Since he was fixing it might as well I got a bone nut added, and a proper setup. Plays superbly now.

Thanks all.

guitarplayer

Silver Supporting Member
Sent to a local respected luthier, he is also a fellow TGP member I think. In Singapore there aren't that many luthiers around. He glued it back and fixed it. Since he was fixing it might as well I got a bone nut added, and a proper setup. Plays superbly now.

Thanks all.
Do you think the bone nut made a difference in the tone? I just bought a new J-45 which from the factory has a tusq bridge plate and, I believe a bone nut. I'm thinking about having a bone bridge plate installed. Thanks.

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Silver Supporting Member
bridge plate? imho it should be maple.

Rob Sharer

Muso-Luthier
I suspect he means "bridge saddle."

I'd say go for bone if you can; the tone will be better. Tusq is pretty soft, not my favorite saddle or nut material. Cheers,

Rob

Trending Topics