Help -advice please: Considering buying a silverface princeton reverb but . . . .

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Mnewman123, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Mnewman123

Mnewman123 Supporting Member

I already own a 1966 Blackface Fender Champ - wanted to trade up to a Princeton Reverb after trying one in a store. My only concern was buying an amp that may be too loud for an apartment. Anyway, I saw one advertised as a Silverface from the late 60s - when I went to check it out I noticed a few things good and bad:(1) reverb not working - is this a likely expensive fix? (2) Pull-out volume boost thing (which means its likely not from 60s?). When you pull out the volume it sounded pretty shrill. The owner wanted $1,100 but was willing to give me a $250 credit for the non-working reverb. The amp sounded great otherwise (not when you pull the volume boost knob). Sounded decent at low volumes. Hmmm. AM I better off buying a new or slightly PRRI??? It was hard to find the serial number. THere were some numbers on the back right side of the amp but they don't correspond to the chart I saw online for dating these Fenders. Advice please?? Are these Princeton reverbs with the volume pull boost things not as good or as "valuable" as earlier vintages? I did notice it was the original Fender speaker in there.

2. pbmw

pbmw Member

As far as I know the pull boost is 78 and later.
    As players, they're fine. Don't pull the knob.
    I think it's not worth anything close to $1100 though.

3. dshobe

dshobe Rocky Mountain Way Silver Supporting Member

Get a used PRRI, great amps, can be had for $500-650. Don't get rid of the BF Champ if you don't have to! $850 for a busted amp with an idiotic mod? Nah...

4. mc2

mc2 Member

dshobe is correct.

5. Kelsey

Kelsey Member

That's high for a SF PR around here, but I don't know where you are. I'd pass.