• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Help! Amp goes poof.

Powderfinger

Platinum Supporting Member
So I've got my Germino Club 40 head cranked through my Ho attenuator and I'm digging it big time. All of a sudden the sound just dies out. Tried going direct to speaker, so it's not the Ho. No smoke, flash or smell. Power tubes light up. Just no sound of any kind. Never had this happen before. Any help would be appreciated.

Powderfinger

Changed rectifier tube. Same problem. It's not the speaker cab. Could this be a power tube or a preamp tube?

Edit: swapped out each pre and power tube. Still no sound. Fuses look intact. Damn!!!

Last edited:
I fixed a carr the other day..same story... ultimate attenuator etc. It ended up the power tube arced and fried a couple of resistors. I changed out the res. and installed new tubes ..bias etc

Powderfinger

Just an update. My amp tech said the "high voltage section of my power supply was shorted". Since this happened on one of the first times I ever had the amp cranked through the Ho attenuator, I have a hard time believing that it's just a coincidence.

phsyconoodler

Any weak links in your amp will show up when using any attenuator.You likely had something in the power section that was not up to snuff and cranking the amp through the attenuator finished it off.Power tubes are the first thing to check,and if they go bad they often take out other components too.
This is why I caution guys who use attenuators to make sure their amps have fresh tubes and have been given a clean bill of health before using attenuators.

But you techs' statement "high voltage section of my power supply was shorted". is vague.WHAT in the power section is shorted?

donnyjaguar

I think he's referring to the high voltage secondary winding of the power transformer. I don't use attenuators myself.

Trending Topics