HELP! Amp Question

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by C.SCAN3, Feb 24, 2009.

1. C.SCAN3

C.SCAN3 Member

I have a Goodsell Super 7....I was using it today on 7 watt mode with a HBE Power Screamer and a Creation Audio Labs 4.23 Pro....amp was cranked...guitar on 10...and HBE and CAL set moderate. I was digging in on the guitar and the amp cut out and made a real harsh noise a couple of times. What is this all about? Did I almost blow up my amp? Any ideas?

2. rockon1

rockon1 Member

The kind of sound like when you unplug a guitar without turning down the volume? If so then may its just a bad cord or jack or other connection going into the amp? Not particularly dangerous if so.

On the other hand Ive yet to overload the front of a tube amp to the point it cut out though. Bob

3. C.SCAN3

C.SCAN3 Member

Tried the whole cord thing.....played again....this time the amp went totally silent....then came back on. YIKES!

4. Trout

Trout Member

Goodsell amps are very well built, I would drop Richard a note, and let him know what happened (be specific).

Those are fairly straight forward amps, If you want a guess,

Tubes!,

Most EL84 amps run the output tubes fairly hard. My first guess would be output tube, second guess would be rectifier tube.

It is always a good idea to keep a know set of working tubes around as backup just for these special occasions.

5. Swarty

Swarty Member

My first pass would be output tube as well.

6. C.SCAN3

C.SCAN3 Member

Yeah...did get a hold of Richard....it was a tube...not sure if it was the EL84 (It was a brand new Genalex Gold Lion Reissue), or if it was the 12AX7. Richard said normally it is the 12AX7 that go first. All is well. Thanks to all those that chimed in.

7. trinian1

trinian1 Supporting Member

Was the harsh noise like a squeal? What do you mean by harsh noise? I have an S7, too, so I'd like to be on the lookout for anything similar.

8. C.SCAN3

C.SCAN3 Member

Almost like the noise you would get if you unplug your guitar without shutting off the amp...but a little worse....it also just faded in and out.