Help! Analogman Sunface option paralysis...

Junta

Which one works best with both single coils and humbuckers?

Genre? Good question... Mostly heavier stuff, but I like vintage tones too?

Interested in your hands on experience!

© Copyright 2020 Analog Man LLC. All Rights Reserved.

His current transistor options are here... I think they are current? Oh Analogman :bow

Guitars:
  1. single coil (Seymour Duncan Albert Lee custom)
  2. humbucker (medium output Di Marzio Albert Lee Custom)
  3. humbucker (medium output Di Marzio Custom)
  4. humbucker (Fishman Fluence modern) :rockin yeah, this will only be 'experimental'

I have been putting off buying a fuzz face type pedal from Analogman - I thought I will get it in the same shipment as my KoT when my name comes up, but I can wait no more! Especially because I am down to only 5 fuzzes on my board at the moment ;), and none are of the fuzz face ilk...

Current fuzz collection:
  1. Earthquaker / Park Amps Park fuzz (tone bender 2.5? 3?)
  2. Zvex Fuzzolo (versatile silicon mini - distortion to full on spitty velcro, and anything in between - designed by Joel Corte!)
  3. Earthquaker Terminal Fuzz (based on Shin Ei Companion fuzz)
  4. EHX Op-Amp re-issue Muff
  5. EHX Green Russian re-issue (90% of the time on bass guitar duties)

Bonus 1: Jam Pedals Rattler (Rat clone - more distortion than fuzz)
Bonus 2: Catalinbread KatzenKonig (Rat/tonebender hybrid - different board)

Cheers!

Last edited:

BootRoots

Silver Supporting Member
It isn’t too hard:

On/off pot
Sun Dial
Any GE transistor because they all sound good
Or any Si transistor because they all sound good! It’s not like you can make a mistake. They all sound like fuzz faces. It’s like eating a good steak...some like seasoning on their some like sautéd mushrooms or onions or herb butter. It still tastes like steak.

In a band mix I have always found Si trannies to work better in a mix for me. There’s this biting, searing high end I like. I currently sport a BC108 on my board.

Lt Dak

Silver Supporting Member
I'll echo that they all sound good. I've got several different transistor options.

Haven't tried the BART yet. Of the many I've tried, I'd probably recommend the nkt/rca with sundial as a starting point.

Lauri Vennonen

Silver Supporting Member
My friend who plays a tele custom with wide range buckers fell for my bc183 that I love to play with single-coils so that's my recommendation.

ht_557

My NKT red dot is great. Muffled through dark amps, though. Bright amps = heaven. HB's or SC's. Mine is "high gain" but i usually back off the volume a smidge for HB's. I like the extra gain with my tele. Bright amps, though. Dark amp, maybe Si is better? For your bedroom, any choice is the right choice. If I were to do it again I wouldn't have paid the extra $$$ for NOS. Idk why you're posting your other fuzzes, you don't want redundancy? FF is kind of its "own thing". Not many stack them unless it's with a treble booster. The best thing to stack a FF with is a pissed-off marshall. I get close with a pissed off modded bassman circuit. For what it's worth, the best my FF ever sounded was through a stupid loud custom circuit designed by my amp tech. That includes when I played it through someone else's (contemporary) marshall. My tech wouldn't let me play it through the broken 60's "Lead" (not superlead, idk what the hell) 4-hole plexi on his bench. I tried, lol. YMMV

Vcaster

Hey @Junta, good move on the Sun Face.

My second Analog Man pedal is on the way, a germanium BART.

My first Sun Face is on my main board: Hybrid NKT/RCA, which is what I’d suggest given your stated needs and existing fuzz pedals. (Me, I play single coils, including P90s, and humbuckers; and use a couple of different Big Muffs and a Tone Bender clone.)

Options-wise, my incoming second Sun Face has similar specs to my first:
  1. Sundial external bias control — a must!
  2. On/Off toggle switch for the battery — there are a number of ways to handle powering a Fuzz Face ... I chose battery and toggle, may go to a GigRig virtual battery someday.
  3. Top-mounted jacks
  4. LED
I experienced options analysis paralysis o_O before placing my first Sun Face order, did a bunch on online research, and this ^ is how I rolled. Worked out well. YMMV

https://www.buyanalogman.com/Analog_Man_Sun_Face_p/am-sun-face.htm

Cheers!

your name here

Silver Supporting Member
I just bought a BART Sunface this morning. Sundial, on/off pot, adapter jack. I’m sure it’ll be great.

GMGM

I'm in this boat as well. Simply unable to decide.

I wish there was a single Sunface I could buy that had a selector switch to toggle between Ge and Si. Furthermore, I wish that switch could be a dial allowing me to select between several different types of each transister. In other words, all of the Sunfaces in one housing. Or even just using sockets for the transistors, so I could try several different types. I'd certainly pay extra!

I would also love have 2 Sunfaces (Si and Ge) housed in a big Fuzzace enclosure, painted up with the Analogman Sunface graphics. Not that this will ever happen though....

Jim Marciano

Silver Supporting Member
i would probably get the bart or rca/nkt hybrid

In my experience i had an rca i didn't really like, and for me playing at home i didn't use the sundial it was set and forget to me, but playing out especially outside it would be almost necessary, maybe the power jack option for convenience as well

Vcaster

I'm in this boat as well. Simply unable to decide.

I wish there was a single Sunface I could buy that had a selector switch to toggle between Ge and Si. Furthermore, I wish that switch could be a dial allowing me to select between several different types of each transister. In other words, all of the Sunfaces in one housing. Or even just using sockets for the transistors, so I could try several different types. I'd certainly pay extra!

I would also love have 2 Sunfaces (Si and Ge) housed in a big Fuzzace enclosure, painted up with the Analogman Sunface graphics. Not that this will ever happen though....
“If Analog Mike builds it, they will buy ...” :D

Junta

Wow! :aok

After a long day at work, interrupted occasionally by the constant stream of bad @!3!!-19 related news, thank you so much! You guys are the best!

OK, This is what I am arriving at:

1. Little chance of going wrong with the popular recommendations above... Perfect!
2. This BART business has taken everyone by surprise - it is that good!
3. It is highly likely that if one bonds with the Analogman SF experience, they will buy more than one, so one could start with the safest of choices (standard 2N527? or bc183? Hybrid NKT/RCA?), and take it from there...
4. Top jacks, power jack option, sun-dial and led... DONE!

I have an impossibly complicated but great sounding w/d/w set up currently with Mark V:25 (2x12 Greenbacks), Carr Rambler and EVH III 50w EL34 (2x12 V30s), and I cannot wait to add an Analogman SF!

Tonight is the night to take the plastic out and do it!

Cheers!

I was in a similar boat as you. I was planning on going nkt red dot but struggling to decide and then the BART became available so I decided it must be fate. Mine should be arriving in the next week or so hopefully (bart, sun dial, top jacks)

probably can’t go wrong with any option though...

((TechnicolorSkyline))

Silver Supporting Member
I have NKT Red Dot , RCA/NKT hybrid, and now BART.
I recommend: start with the BART
I have the same plus a couple pure RCA. All are in hand except the BART, and so far the med gain RCA is my favorite. Just the right amount of everything.

I play mostly Les Pauls and Teles.

The NKT and hybrid are better suited for single coils. If I were a strat guy at all, one of those would be my choice.

Excited to see where the BART fits in.

Trending Topics