Help? Backline Panic! JCM800 to Fender Twin

madprofessor

Hi,
I have a big gig this weekend. Expecting 4,000+ on a block party festival. I am the lead player in a hard rock band (not metal). I don't mean to sound too egotistical here, but the band kind of features my guitar playing and I rely on my rig for my sound. I've used Marshalls my whole life. My current amp is a 1977 2203 and I run assorted boosts for tone shaping.

Anyway, the headliner says no amps allowed, all backline will be provided (jerks) - I'll be provided with a Fender Twin - I've never gigged through a fender amp in my life. I never run completely clean, and use my volume knob to clean up my tone.

What do I do? I have a bunch of pedals that I use for boosts - but I'm thinking about rebuilding my pedal board.
Here is a list of my most likely pedals to get me in the ball park:

RAT 2, Maxon 808, Bogner La Grange, Waza Blues driver, Wampler Tunmus DX, Keeley compressor.
I also have a phase 90, Ibanez Wah, and carbon copy delay for "effects"

I won't have time to fiddle with tones - so which drive pedals do I use - and how do I set the amp????

Thank you!

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
I strongly suggest that you get the ultimate Marshall backline rig... it’s 100 watts, 4 channels, ALL analog ...NOT digital!......it weighs 3 lbs! Just add speaker cab. Does sound best with Greenbacks or British speakers but also with the Cannibis Rex and others... I’m not kidding! Been a JTM, JCM Marshall player since the, well... a long time. You won’t believe it........ and No overdrive pedals are needed. They’ve since come off my board....

View media item 276470

madprofessor

I strongly suggest that you get the ultimate Marshall backline rig... it’s 100 watts, 4 channels, ALL analog ...NOT digital!......it weighs 3 lbs! Just add speaker cab. Does sound best with Greenbacks or British speakers but also with the Cannibis Rex and others... I’m not kidding! Been a JTM, JCM Marshall player since the, well... a long time. You won’t believe it........ and No overdrive pedals are needed. They’ve since come off my board....

View media item 276470
Thanks for the suggestion. I don't really have the money... and if I did, I am not sure I have the time. I could order one expedited from GC on a CC I guess, and then return it, but there's a good chance I won't get it in time for the gig on Saturday.

Not sure what speakers are in a twin, but it is surly open back.

eigentone

Gold Supporting Member
I doubt if I can crank it.
Too bad. It's a good aggressive rock tone - Volume and Mids all the way up and Treble and Bass around 6 is a good starting point.

I assume you mean Twin Reverb. In that case, maybe a friend near you will let you screw around with theirs long enough to dial in your pedal board. You shouldn't have to buy something to get through this, considering the pedals you already have.

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
I'd experiment with your amp on a clean setting and try your different pedals and see if you can get an appropriate sound. That Bluguitar thing sounds good, but it's pretty pricey just for one gig. There are a lot of Marshall in a box pedals out there too.

John Quinn

Anyway, the headliner says no amps allowed, all backline will be provided (jerks) - I'll be provided with a Fender Twin - I've never gigged through a fender amp in my life. I never run completely clean, and use my volume knob to clean up my tone.
First thing is to talk with Headliner and see what you can do. I imagine that you could offer to allow everyone to play through your amp you have a solution.

What do I do? I have a bunch of pedals that I use for boosts - but I'm thinking about rebuilding my pedal board. Here is a list of my most likely pedals to get me in the ball park:
A Fender Twin is going to have a different distortion than your Marshall. So I would get a hold of a Fender Twin and run though your pedals and find what works. It's honestly not that big of a deal - you just play like your normally do and enjoy yourself.

In Absentia

Silver Supporting Member
Hi,
I have a big gig this weekend. Expecting 4,000+ on a block party festival. I am the lead player in a hard rock band (not metal). I don't mean to sound too egotistical here, but the band kind of features my guitar playing and I rely on my rig for my sound. I've used Marshalls my whole life. My current amp is a 1977 2203 and I run assorted boosts for tone shaping.

What do I do? I have a bunch of pedals that I use for boosts - but I'm thinking about rebuilding my pedal board.
Here is a list of my most likely pedals to get me in the ball park:

RAT 2, Maxon 808, Bogner La Grange, Waza Blues driver, Wampler Tunmus DX, Keeley compressor.
I also have a phase 90, Ibanez Wah, and carbon copy delay for "effects"

I won't have time to fiddle with tones - so which drive pedals do I use - and how do I set the amp????

Thank you!
You call them back and tell them that **** ain’t gonna work.

madprofessor

I'd experiment with your amp on a clean setting and try your different pedals and see if you can get an appropriate sound. That Bluguitar thing sounds good, but it's pretty pricey just for one gig. There are a lot of Marshall in a box pedals out there too.
Yeah, I was thinking I would run through the low gain input on my amp to experiment.
I don't know anyone who owns a Twin.
I guess I could go to GC, pick one up for experimenting, and then return it... it just seems like that's wrong though.

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
Thanks for the suggestion. I don't really have the money... and if I did, I am not sure I have the time. I could order one expedited from GC on a CC I guess, and then return it, but there's a good chance I won't get it in time for the gig on Saturday.

Not sure what speakers are in a twin, but it is surly open back.
They are generic Eminence speakers. Not bad . Crank the mids, , lower the treble and bass... you should be ok..... I’ve played a number of Bluesrock festivals with Twins and their backline and they are fine. Dial in your overdrives, and go.......
you will need time to understand how the Amp1 works and responds... not recommended just showing up to a gig with it... not that simple....

Trending Topics