Help, Borrowed DL4 has stopped working!!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by FearlessFred, Jan 25, 2012.

1. FearlessFred

FearlessFred Member

I just borrowed someone's Dl4 and was playing with the looper then, bam, all the lights came on and nothing worked, i unplugged and now it does nothing!

I was powering it with a pp2+, red connector, output 6 on away from normal (as the manual says)

Can i fix it? i also don't want to ruin his presets.

Help!

Thanks

2. The_Wretched

The_Wretched Supporting Member

try to use a line 6 supplied power supply to be safe.

3. cubistguitar

cubistguitar Member

Probably no fix for the DL-4.

I have seen many go down, don't wait to call your friend. He may be able to get this to Line 6 and have the unit back up and working, but he doesn't even know there is a problem yet.

4. Geosh

Geosh Supporting Member

Unplug it, hold down buttons 1 and 4 (i think) then plug in power. This is how to do a reset. It worked for me the one time I had problems with mine.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  5. drolling

drolling Member

^^^THIS^^^
    And if you're lucky enough to get it going again, return it to your friend pronto - That sucka's dyin'! You want it off your hands before it expires

Tho' I've heard lots of talk about switch failure, what i experienced was more like software malfunction, were the thing would periodically go nuts till I unplugged it and/or reset it

Eventually, it wouldn't work at all and the local authorized service center wanted 300 bucks to replace the entire motherboard

While I realize it's a digital unit, and not really comparable to analog gear, if BOSS & MXR could build pedals in the '70s & '80s that are still working perfectly today, it's not unreasonable to expect a DL-4 to last a couple of years, at least

6. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

Why the hell would they charge $300 to replace the motherboard when a new one is $249?

7. Geosh

Geosh Supporting Member

Because then they have to have some tech open it up and swap out parts and pack it back up and then send it out to you. It isn't a "mass produced assembly process" anymore and specialty work with low quantities costs more, especially when someone in the USA is doing the fixing.

8. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Biggus Bearfootus Vendor

Yes and to be clear, unplug means pull the power chord out of the DL4 , not just the 1/4 guitar jacks .... and wait about 30 seconds .....

9. jogden

jogden Member

Sad situation, but one I know too well. I've owned two DL-4s. One expired while under warranty, so I returned it and got another. The last one expired on me after about a year and a half. It went crazy and would forget tempos, settings and start scrambling the sounds -- which was audible through the amp.

DL-4's for all their wonderful tones are not consistently reliable. Plain and simple. Sorry about the situation. If you get it reset, that's probably about the best you can hope for.

10. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

What I'm saying is, it makes no sense to pay $300 to fix the unit when you can buy a brand-new one for $50 less than that (or maybe less). I know about labor costs and all of that. It doesn't make any sense to pay THAT much to repair the thing, which I guess is common with electronics today.

11. 78deluxe

78deluxe Member

Exactly. Unless the unit is out of production, they should just say the unit is beyond repair, buy a new one and go one step further to give them a discount off retail.

These things are notorious for failing.

12. drolling

drolling Member

Hey, if you liked that, then you'll LOVE this; I had to pay a $50 'bench charge' to get the $300 estimate!

If I'd been thinking more clearly at the time, I'd have just left the unit sitting there on the counter

It's out in the storage shed today. A little reminder to never, ever give Line6 a nickel of my hard-earned cash again

13. The_Wretched

This is why I try hard to stay clear of Line 6 quality.

14. jb4674

jb4674 Member

Sorry to say, but...

[​IMG]

15. Geosh

Geosh Supporting Member

Can I have it? I have fixed one before and I might be able to resurrect yours too. I figure if it is just sitting there all broken and such...:dunno

16. HBob

HBob Member

Thanks for reminding me why I don't borrow stuff.

17. ronster

ronster Member

I hear similar dl4 stories every few days. I'm starting to think I have one of the only dependable units ever made. Mine (knocking on wood now) has been in heavy use since about 2003, not babied at all, and still works perfectly.

18. The_Wretched

That's good... Line 6 will throw in a good one in the batch every once in a while to break monotony.

19. edgie

edgie Member

I have a question for those who have modded ones: Will modding or upgrading the parts help it to have more reliability? From what I read before it's the footswitches malfuncioning but now that I'm reading software issues, I'm curious what happened to the modded ones(I forgot who is that TGP member who does it).

20. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

It's Dan Rasp. He goes by "d_rasp" on TGP.