Help buying a 80s or 90s American Std Strat

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by MarkJNZ, Feb 2, 2012.

1. MarkJNZ

MarkJNZ Member

I currently have a 2008 model Mexican Std Strat,with Rosewood fretboard, its a somewhat average guitar.

Im Looking at buying a nicely aged American strat mostly because of my positive experiences with my 95 Jap Custom Tele (Black/Gold “50th Anniversary” model).
    I really like the neck profile on that Tele and the way it feels to play on the aged neck/fretboard. Information that I have found on this Gat tells me its specs are: “C Shape” neck, The TLG94 features a basswood body and maple neck with a 25.5” scale rosewood fretboard (21 frets).

Im wanting a strat with a maple neck rather than rosewood, to try something a little different. Is there a prefered year for American std strats with maple boards within the 80s and 90s period?

There is an 89 American Std strat thats for sale near me that im going to try out.

2. companydamned

companydamned Member

With the U.S. standards i think it's pretty much the earlier the better. The 80's ones are generally phenomenal. The mid to later '90s saw things like veneered poplar bodies etc. and, although there are some gems, are generally a bit of a darker period for fender. The new american standards are also exceptional and are more "vintage" than theyve been in a while

3. geekocaster

geekocaster Member

I would say IMHO from 1996-1999 are great strats and ive had good consistency.
    Some of the older strats have been hit-or-miss for me.

4. SNick

SNick Member

From 1987 to 2000 the Standard American was Fenders most successful run. the Swimming pool route included. I have a 91 they are good players.

5. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

i have never seen "bad years" for american standard fenders.

just be advised that the late '80s ones had a kind of flat-back neck profile, likely nothing like that '90s MIJ. they also had three equal-power pickups, which made the bridge a bit thin for some people.

the re-design to the "american series" (in what, 2000?) brought in a much nicer rounded neck profile and a stronger bridge pickup.