Help Buying a High-Gain head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by slhguitar, Feb 3, 2006.

1. slhguitar

slhguitar Member

I need to buy a High-Gain head that will be used for Metal/Hardcore. Tight bottom end is a must. The limiting factor is I only have around $1300 CDN to spend. I am obviously going to be looking on the used market, unless there is a good amp I can buy for that much new. Any suggestions?

2. Jason_86_951

Jason_86_951 Supporting Member

My buddy just picked up a Hughes and Kettner Warp T on Ebay for $650 shipped.

Sounds friggen great, he also has a Mesa Dual Recto, he says there is not much difference between the two except for the Warp T has more gain and a tighter bottom end.

It does NOT do inbetween stuff, the clean is great but not much breakup.

If your just playing metal this is a great amp for the $$.

3. bailnout

bailnout Member

+1 to that.

They get a lot of bad lip service around here but check out the Krank stuff. It's not that expensive and they are good amps for metal IMO.

4. S.A.M.

S.A.M. Member

5. LaXu

LaXu Member

The Warp T or 5150 sound like a good ideas to me. I don't like the Krank amps for anything, even for metal there are way better amps. IMO they're just plain bad. You could also check if you can find an ENGL Thunder or Screamer head, they go for 700-900€ new in Europe, don't know what they cost in Canada.

6. bailnout

bailnout Member

There's that bad lip service I was talking about! :)

Well one thing about the Krank Revolution 1 is that you need the Krank Kab to make it sound it's best IMO. So that would throw you out of the price range you're looking at. And besides, it would depend on what kind of metal. For some metal, that real open, piercing high end and fuzz is just the ticket. And that Krank does have some bottom to it too. You just need to keep the Sweep control somewhere around 4 on the dial. But it's all a mute point if you need the matching cabinet to get the tone from it you are looking for and can't afford that.

Those Engls are good too. You should be able to pickup one of those heads mentioned for well under your budget on the used market

7. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

+10000

8. LaXu

LaXu Member

I tried the Revolution through the Krank 4x12 cab and I thought it sounded like ass no matter where you turned the knobs. I used a Tokai LS-85Q (MIJ LP copy). It sounded great with the ENGL, Framus and Orange amps next to the Krank. I plugged into the Krank out of interest, I had read all the bashing on the 'net so I decided to give it a fair trial. I have to say it was definitely THE worst tube amp I tried last year. The clean (or "Kleen") channel was very stiff and dry and had a "clank clank" type sound. Tried the distortion channel. Certainly had a lot of clarity, which isn't surprising because no matter where I turned the sweep and midrange knobs it had basically no midrange whatsoever, there was like a huge hole in the mids and lots of treble and bass on the sides. Thought it might get better if I cranked it..nope, still had a solid-stateish feel and a hollow tone, just with ear shattering volume. I don't think there was anything wrong with the amp either. At around 1600€ it didn't hold a candle to the more featurepacked ENGL Powerball or the sweet sounding Orange Rockerverb.

9. Igneous

Igneous Supporting Member

5150, bogner Uberschall, soldano slo100, diezel herbert

10. fancynapkin

fancynapkin Member

btw I have a 5150 for sale in case your interested....

11. calieng

calieng Member

Budda Super Drive...

I have the 18 watt combo but you can find a variety of head and combo versions on eBay from time to time for your price range.

One of the best sounding amps I have ever tried.

12. mbutler

mbutler Member

I was doing a project where I had to get some really brutal tones and I tried tons of stuff (Mesa's, Bogner's, Rivera, etc.), but ended up using a Marshall JMP-1 Preamp into a Mesa 50/50 power amp powering a Marshall 4x12 with V30's. I was amazed at how well it did that super tight chunky high gain thing, and still managed to have some character to it. You can get those pre's for about $400 and the power amp for about the same. Plus with that rig, you get like 99 channels to do all kinds of stuff (It did a pretty decent JCM800 sound, too, and the cleans weren't half bad)

13. redplexi

redplexi Member

5150 W/Voodoo Mod

14. Grim

Grim Member

+1 for 5150

in this price range you cannot go wrong with that !

15. bailnout

bailnout Member

Interesting that you say it had no mids. The one I tried was really voiced in the mids. It took me some work to get a scooped sound out of it. I read a lot of different reviews of that amp and the evaluation of the EQ curve is different with almost each one. With the amps being PCB they should be more consistent and the fact that there are so many varying opinions makes me leery about them.

I agree there are other amps out there that are in that price range that I would rather have over the Krank, but the guy was asking for an amp to do metal. It's all relative but I think Dimebag was about as metal as you can get and he seemed to like them enough to actually use them. Metal has such a broad range of guitar tones that I figure that in the price range he is looking, he should give the Krank a listen. Who knows, it might just be right up his alley.

But I'm not on here to preach that Krank is the best amp out there. It's certainly not my first choice. I still think the H&K Warp T is a phenomenal amp for the money especially used.

16. KennyM

KennyM Supporting Member

I was recently on this same quest. I was kind of specific on what I was looking for, but the gear whore took over and led me to check out all the high end and high priced gain monsters like Ubershall, Diezel, etc. These were all fantastic sounding amps, but Since I was looking for that Linkin Park, System of a Down kind of thing, I knew I had to check out the Boogie Rectifier too.

I plugged into the Rectifier, dropped the E down to D, played a couple of death licks and chords, shut it off and headed to the counter to pay. Like it or not, this is the sound of that style.

As I only use it for recording. I went with the 50 watter and a 2x12 Recto cab. Definitely cops that vibe perfectly and is much less dinero than the other amps considered. There's also a lot of these amps and cabs floating around used so you can probably find a rig within your budget.

Kenny M.