Help! Calling any reverb pedal enthusiast

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Kyle Byquist, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Kyle Byquist

Kyle Byquist Member

Hey guys, I have a some questions for anyone with experience using reverb live and recording - I'm considering buying a reverb pedal with lots of sounds, but not entirely sure it's worth the money / energy to make it happen. Right now, all I have for reverb is a Strymon Flint and the spring tank on my Two-Rock.
    I rely on Pro Tools when recording anything outside of the Flint / Two-Rock sounds, but I'm finding I want to get more adventurous in rehearsals and live shows.
    So, how often are you using reverb sounds outside the typical Spring /Plate arena in live performances? Do you find that your reverb sound gets lost in the overall mix, or is it actually worth having the additional sounds to play with?
    Or, are you finding that you record reverb from your DAW plug-ins, and then using "basic" reverb sounds for live playing?

Finally, what's your recommendation for a great-sounding reverb?

thanks for the help, really appreciate it!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  2. yeatzee

yeatzee Member

Depends entirely on the genre, playing style, and what role you fill. I never use spring reverb (not a bit fan) but do run all sorts of types of reverb with my neunaber slate / EXP loaded with either the Wet algorithm, grand hall, plate, or some other version they have for live playing. Personally I'm a huge fan of modulated reverb so if you want something that doesn't sound the same as the flint/two-rock I'd go for something that has that feature available.

3. Kyle Byquist

Kyle Byquist Member

Part of the struggle is that I don't stay in one area or genre of music; one day I'll write something ambient and the next day something completely fuzzed-out.
    I really want to get into modulated reverbs, but don't have the luxury to try every pedal on the market

4. Fatherflot

Fatherflot Member

Digitech Polara - Lexicon-based Spring, Plate, Room, Hall, Modulated, Shimmer (called "Halo"). It's awesome. Got mine used for $110.

5. yeatzee

yeatzee Member

Go with one that does it all then and has a great track record.... neunaber or Strymon IMO. Neunaber slate you can turn into... just counted on their free software 16 different reverb algorithms (including shimmer), each with settings that can be adjusted to taste. If you no longer want that you can load it up as a chorus, flanger, or delay pedal. If you want to save your stuff buy the EXP and you've got four individual pedals at your feet with two presets each available. Strymon Big Sky also has endless reverb options so that you can go from ambient back to spring if you want but its bigger and more expensive. I hear the polara come up a lot as well, but I have no personal experience with it so I can't say anything about it.

Kyle Byquist likes this.
  6. Kyle Byquist

Kyle Byquist Member

Thanks guys, really appreciate it. I'm leaning towards the bigger Strymon / Eventide / Empress pedals, because I enjoy fine-tuning parameters and storing presets. I have owned a Neunaber pedal, ultimately sold it to fund the Strymon Flint purchase. I have heard so many great things about the Big Sky; I'm looking for a shop that has one in stock to test it out

7. FoxV

FoxV Member

I don't think you can go wrong with any of those pedals. Plus you've got to start somewhere, and it sounds like you ready to get something on your board and see how it works for you. I say get it soon, and enjoy the journey!

Abram4235 likes this.
  8. -Empire

-Empire Supporting Member

+1 for the polara, I'm the #1 fan. Might be a good idea to start small so you can get familiar with the different types and how to use them instead of jumping into a box with 30 parameters for each reverb machine.

Fatherflot and Rhythm Rocker like this.
  9. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

i use a Neunaber Slate all the time, in addition to at least one Catalinbread delay-pedal and a Digitech Obscura pedal..... and a Lexicon PCM80 for huge &/or pitch-shifting reverbs (in a rack, amplified separately).
    i play & record, compose & produce professionally, fwiw.

10. ThinPaperWings

ThinPaperWings Member

Keep in mind there is some modulation on the 80s reverb in the Flint although you don't have any control over how much is in there.

I have and love a BigSky and it offers a lot of tasteful modulation that is implemented differently from algorithm to algorithm (that is internally -- the only control for each is 'amount'). I think there is a fair amount of difference between the sounds you can get, maybe not so much tonally, but in terms of response. Cloud, Bloom, Hall, Swell, Chorale all respond a lot differently from each other and you can hear the differences in live mixes given sufficient blend settings. It also does 'normal' reverbs well, although that's not it's particular strength.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  11. mdmack

mdmack Member

Neunaber. their algo are just the best IMO and ive owned a lot of different verbs and ended up back at the Neunaber everytime. The WET and Plate are just as juicy as it gets and sit perfect in a mix.

yeatzee likes this.
  12. NielsM

NielsM Member

Having lots of options: Strymon BigSky.
    Sound: Neunaber
    I think it definitly adds something live and I like to change reverbs during a set. Even though most of the audience won't notice it, it's refreshing for me at least.
    It's all about balance and leaving space for other musicians in the band.

13. mamsk

mamsk Member

empress reverb, easy

14. danbond

danbond Member

At the other end of the spectrum, I just picked up a Mr Black Supermoon, and absolutely every possible setting sounds usable and musical. Totally blown away by how "right" it always sounds.

No presets, no trails, no other sounds...just 3 knobs and a button. Might not be for you, but as a heavy reverb user, I'm still pretty satisfied this is the "one".

15. flyingmusicman

flyingmusicman Member

Can't go wrong with a Digitech Polara. I hear the Empress is also really nice.

Fatherflot likes this.
  16. Kyle Byquist

Kyle Byquist Member

Thanks for the replies, definitely helps me figure out which direction to go. Another option I've been considering is the new Free the Tone reverb, which has been getting positive reviews.
    Are the menus on the Eventide / Strymon pedals tricky to use while playing live?

17. aman74

aman74 Member

I've heard the modulated delay on the Flint is excellent. I thought the trails get pretty long and it has 100% wet? Should be a lot to work with right there.

Try running it before dirt as well.

I find it's often more fun to get the far out sounds with what I already have rather than look for a pedal that has it baked in.

Kyle Byquist and rdowd like this.
  18. Kyle Byquist

Kyle Byquist Member

In an IDEAL world, I could keep the Flint on my board in addition to a more in-depth pedal, and I could just sell one of the two it if they don't get playing time. I am really interested in stacking reverbs, because it can create really strange and cool sounds

19. danbond

danbond Member

Just get a Bigsky and be done with it. If you can afford it, that's where you'll end up anyway.

Kyle Byquist likes this.
  20. Kyle Byquist

Kyle Byquist Member

This is probably true. Time to sell some stuff