HELP!!! Can a pedal die?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rollyfoster, Apr 10, 2015.

1. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

I was rearranging my board this morning and my Huckleberry Fuzz seems to be a casualty and I can't figure out why.

I've had it running on a Pedal Power for years. I figured a battery would be a good experiment so I took out the old one that was still in it and put a new one in...nothing.

I have tried 3 batteries and no luck, no LED on light and no fuzz. The weird thing is if I plug it back into the PP, battery or no, the light will come on but still no fuzz. The guitar passes through under any scenario.

RIP Huckleberry? Any ideas?

2. stephanar

stephanar Member

Maybe he is just sick. Take it to a doctor, maybe it'll need a little surgery.

3. tanee

tanee Member

Pedals will never die.. but you will.

4. rollyfoster

****. Really?

RIP me?

5. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    If the original battery was in the pedal, and it leaked, it might have shorted out the internal connections.

I have had pedals die on me, although not often. A part might have burned out and the timing was such that it happened now.

You might have someone look at it, but if the pedal is easily replaced, it might be less expensive to replace it.

6. rollyfoster

No leaks or anything happened. I got a battery to engage the LED, but there is still no fuzz.

I guess I need to start shopping for another fuzz. Ugh. Do not want GAS right now.

7. gtrplr71

gtrplr71 Supporting Member

open up the case and hit it with some jumper cables quick I have seen this before and time is of the essence.

8. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Sounds like in your monkeying with it you may wiggled a solder loose inside somewhere. If that's case a soldering iron can usually fix it, hard part is tracking it down.

If you don't feel capable, is there tech in your area you can take it to? If it's simple most could have it up in running in less than a hr.

9. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Do NOT get rid of it just because it's not passing signal!!! Almost anything is repairable.

1. The most likely culprit is a dead switch. They're just not well designed and fall all the time. You can Google repairing a DPDT switch for instructions (warning: it involved taking it apart which can be a 1 way operation) or just replace it (Radio Shack still sells them or you can order online).

2. Next would be a bad solder joint. You can take a soldering iron (the pencil type) of 30w or less and just remelt each connection gently.

3. Bad jack-usually this results in some crackling, light going on/off when you wiggle the cable etc. Fairly easy to trouble shoot. Just replace it.

4. This is the tougher stage, here you either need some electronics knowledge or you need a friend who'll trouble shoot it for you. The original builder might fix it for $50 or so...

10. axm.88

axm.88 Member

Does the volume control work? Also, when adjusting the knobs, do you hear any "scratchy" sounds?