Help! Cant stop the buzzing!!!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by grittyTone86, Jan 23, 2012.

1. grittyTone86

grittyTone86 Member

I have recently refinished an SX tele and installed new Custom Wound pickups from MojoTone. The problem is that there is this annoying buzzing that I cant get rid of. The buzzing stops when I touch the volume or tone knobs though. I have no clue what to do, any suggestions?????

2. Rob Sharer

Rob Sharer Muso-Luthier

Metal knobs? Sounds like you're just completing the ground, as nature intended.

Rob

3. grittyTone86

grittyTone86 Member

is there a way to ground it another way so i can play with out the annoying buzz?

4. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

You say you refinished it.
    When you reassembled it, did you remember to run the ground wire from the bridge to the back of the volume pot?
    There should be a wire that goes through a channel in the body from the control cavity to the bridge that sets up a magnetic field in the strings to help keep noise out of the pickups.
    When you touch a grounded item, you are becoming that wire by creating a current path to the strings from ground.

5. grittyTone86

grittyTone86 Member

should that wire go from the pot to the bridge plate or the pickup itself?

6. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

There should be a wormhole under the bridge plate or in the pickup cavity where the wire comes through.
    Bare the wire and lay the bare part under the bridge, and just bolt the bridge down on top of it, that is how it is done in most. It doesn't need to attach to the pickup.
    An inch or more bared to make contact with the bridge should be plenty.

7. grittyTone86

grittyTone86 Member

ok, that sounds simple enough, thank you so much for the advice!!! I am new to the wiring game, but I am trying to learn all I can.

8. fumbler

fumbler Member

The reason for that wire is to ground the bridge, strings and, therefore, YOU (since you are usually touching the strings.) Your body is a big ol' antenna for RF noise unless you're grounded.

Rockledge was correct about everything except the "magnetic field in the strings." Where did that come from? :)