HELP: Case bled into Guitar Finish!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by NBlair930, Jan 19, 2008.

1. NBlair930

NBlair930 Gold Supporting Member

HELP: I just pulled my S-Type guitar out of its case for the first time in about a month and I noticed some of the Orange dye from the interior of the G&G Fender Custom Shop Case has bled into the Nitro finish on the back of the guitar in a "blotchy" configuration. I tried rubbing it out w/ some moist breath & a cotton cloth but it did not come out. Any suggestions for getting this out? Is this a common problem?

I have now put a cotton cloth b/t the guitar & the case so this should not happen again.

2. 57special

57special Member

You could try a bit of rubbing compound and a soft cloth. Or an alcohol or lacquer thinner dampened cloth (easy on the thinner). Is the guitar new? Is it a Fender? I don't know if it's G&G's fault here or Fenders.

3. Leonardo

Leonardo Member

Sounds cool, now it's relic'd! Post some pics! :)

4. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

It will not come out - it's not on the surface, the color will have 'migrated' right into the finish. The only cure is to completely refinish it.

It's a fairly common problem on nitro-finished guitars including older Fenders, especially Olympic White and some of the paler blue shades.

5. Srvwannab

Srvwannab Member

Mr. Phillips has never needed any support from me for his opinions, but I can offer that having gone through this with my Olympic White Thin-Skin Strat all of the rubbing in the world will do nothing except make your forearms burn like they are going to fall off....

6. guitarsnguns04

guitarsnguns04 Member

you got to love nitro..its in there for good now..not a bad thing though unless you dont want it there. My buddy has an old p-bass and it did the same thing.I am going to check my olympic white strat right now as I have had it in the case for a while and hadnt thought about this!

7. NBlair930

NBlair930 Gold Supporting Member

Inca Silver Lentz S-Style over 3 years old & it just happened now!

8. Jack Dotson

Jack Dotson Supporting Member

Our local GC just got in the 08 American Standard Strats and the white one has a green tint all over it from the case and they can't get it out. Seems to me they should make sure the case linings don't leak the dye. I would be very unhappy if this happened to one of my guitars.

9. JDJ

JDJ Member

Damn!! Sorry to hear that. A tragedy for sure.

10. KeithC

KeithC Silver Supporting Member

Same thing happened to my white/blonde EJ Strat body.
    Except it was from the edge of leather guitar strap.
    I don't worry about it now but at the time I was a bit chapped.

11. Joe M

Joe M Member

True; I had exactly the same thing happen with a white 57 RI. Tried everything, ended up taking it to one of my techs and he even tried buffing it out with a wheel, even though he told me he was wasting his time. The thing that bothered me the most was the color came from the Fender (G&G) case that the guitar came in. WTF???